Off to see the wizard of GUZ

Good for you Kyle.......

A question. what do You mean P-3 cover letter? was this like a EOR letter?

Nope,it''s really simple. All it is, is a list of what I'm returning to the consulate (documents). I just created a simple document in Word. It looked something like this:

Packet 3 Cover Letter

Enclosed are the following documents, pertaining to Jingjing (GUZ123456789).

1. Completed DS230 Part 1

2. Completed DS230 Part 2

3. Completed OF-169

4. One EMS Mailing Label

5. Packet 3 Instruction Letter ¨C English (has case number)

6. Packet 3 Instruction Letter - Chinese

We are planning on bringing an additional copy of DS230 ¨C Part 1 and Part 2, when we arrive in Guangzhou for Jingjing¡¯s interview appointment.

Thank you,

Kyle and Jingjing

Sent via EMS 10/06/2009

Hello,

How do you do.

I am very nice you give me your advise.I will do best for other people.

Your fiance is very nice.

For all of our guest, I will do best to my help. Because you and your fiance good ready for your visa. I am very happy when you get the visa.

But I just know to give you so bad impression now. I am so sorry.

I am sorry that My Phone is no electricity when you arrival Guangzhou. For that. I am so sorry. I donot mind to refuse your.

It is a mistake.

SORRY THAT.

Wish you have a good life in USA with your fiance or wife.

Yang Jiahua

We stayed at the Yangs too.

We had booked a room in the GUZ building a month in advance and had my SO go down there to put a deposit on it.

We called him and were told the previous occupants will leave at 11AM and we could come in any time after that.

I went ACS for my 11.30 appointment and we were unable to reach Yang till about 12.30. His phone was TURNED OFF.

We were then told he did not have a room in the GUZ building for us.

I was livid and ready to check into a hotel when he called us back and said he will put us up in his sisters(?) place at the Concordia.

I tried asking him some things about the interview process and trends he had being seeing.

He was nice but NO HELP and spoke very little english.

The apartment was nice and clean and HAD A SEPERATE SHOWER STALL and we had no problems.

I probably would not recommend him might as well stay in the hotel close to GUZ.

I often get a lot of strange cases that aren't as well prepared, which makes it very hard for me to come to a solid conclusion

This should be beaten into the brain of everyone filing!

Congratulations and good job guys! Glad it all went smoothly!

I often get a lot of strange cases that aren't as well prepared, which makes it very hard for me to come to a solid conclusion

This should be beaten into the brain of everyone filing!

Congratulations and good job guys! Glad it all went smoothly!

Congratulations to you and your wife, Kyle! It's really nice to know of your success after all of your hard work, and all of your help to so many others on CFL. It was finally your turn!! Wishing you many years of happiness!

Wednesday - Correction

I think the VO who I spoke with during ACH was the one who processed Jingjing's financial documents and he didn't even initiate speaking Chinese with her because during my ACH appointment, I told him my wife is an English teacher at New Oriental. Jingjing said something like he said "Oh, Ms. (surname)" in a tone that made her think he was already familiar with her background. From her description of him, I think it was the same guy.

I need to correct some information:

The consulate officer who handled Jingjing's financial documents was a Chinese consulate worker, not the officer I met at ACH. The guy I had at ACH took care of Jingjing's fingerprinting. He did open up with a few Chinese words, and then spoke English saying, "Ms. (Surname) I suspect that you have very strong English"

The Chinese consulate worker who handled Jingjing's financial documents also accepted some additional documents, by Jingjing's request:

1. Deed

2. Letter from my father outlining his financial situation, employment situation, and his willingness to be Jingjing's joint sponsor.

3. A current bank statement from my father, which documented current automatic deposits from his employer.

The Chinese consulate worker, DID NOT return these documents, but kept them and added them to everything else in our file. Jingjing said, if you have strong documents that you think will help your case, this is the time to try to give them to them. It can't hurt, the only thing they would do if they don't want them is to hand them back. Jingjing also said that the Chinese staff seemed to be new, so she is uncertain if he just forgot to hand them back or, if he followed proper procedure. There was someone shadowing him making sure everything was done correctly. Regardless, it won't hurt to try.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

Total price for today's consulate fees: 400 USD (355+45). Jingjing also paid 40 RMB to have her EMS package mailed locally to the Yang's.

Silly question, couldn't you have the consulate just mail the passport back to your mainland home address? Why involve a middle man?

They, meaning China Post, not the USCONGUZ. I don't really care, and it's not that big of a deal. I was talking with Yang, and I asked him if they've ever lost a package when doing it this way. He said no and that he has been doing this for a long time, 7 or 8 times a week. He's got a stack of blank EMS address sheets in his office.

making a cover sheet to hand the VO itemizing our kitchen sink. We made two copies, one for Jingjing and one for her VO. See below:

I thought that you mentioned the VO's would tend to ask for items that you don't have. Isn't this just giving intel to the enemy (for lack of a better term.)? ;-)

Good luck on you interview.

I understand what you're saying, but we really weren't missing anything, nor, was there anything more that we could possibly add, except for me having an actual job, rather than interviews lined up.

I've read accounts of people interviewing and getting blue-slipped even though they had the documents listed on the blue slip at the time of the interview. This was partially my motivation in making that sheet, as well as helping the VO and Jingjing have a more time efficient interview.

My opinion, it all comes down to how much you prepare and organize. The more information and organization preparation you have (although you won't probably use much of it), the greater impression it's going to make at your interview. Jingjing's officer took noticed and appreciated the effort. She also seemed genuinely happy for Jingjing's successful attempt at getting the IR-1.

We started this process with the mindset to being as informative and transparent as possible. We ddin't start this at the interview, but when we submitted our I-130.

I also feel that trying to show a little professionalism helps out when you're in GUZ. Take pride how your organize and how you dress. Be early to your appointments, or at least be on time. If possible, speak English during the interview, as the officers appreciate it (an officer I spoke with said he likes meeting with the Americans because it gives him a break from speaking Chinese (His Chinese was pretty good). Those things seem relatively minor, but they speak volumes about your character and work ethic. Again, I feel the consulate officers take notice of thise things, and they appreciate the indirect respect it shows for their position.

Not a silly question. No we can't. They do not mail to our city.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/visa_issuance.htm

Yeah, that's weird though that they made your wife pay 40 yuan instead of the standard twenty-some... I've always been told whenever I mailed EMS that it was always less than twenty-five anywhere across China.

Unfortunately my Sweetheart is still waiting in GUZ, he went to the PO this morning and his stuff hadn't arrived yet. Hopefully tomorrow or Saturday. He's already been hanging out there for a week :P It's really a bummer that they won't mail it out...

I think it breaks down like this:

Pick up from the post office - 30 RMB

Mailed within Guangzhou - 40 RMB

Mailed to other cities listed in the below link - 60 RMB

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/visa_issuance.htm