Off to see the wizard of GUZ

I first intended to write this as one post covering our whole trip, but after writing about day one, I noticed that it was way long. Please accept my apologies for making time-tense mistakes, but I’m tired and I don’t want to fix them.

Monday:

Our overnight train from Wuhan arrived in Guangzhou at 6:00 AM. Mr. Yang, met us at the train station and accompanied us to his building. The walk took approximately 10 minutes, but bear in mind that I’m a big dude and walk slower than most folks. I was concerned about everyone speaking Cantonese, which many of them do, but Mr. Yang is from Hunan and speaks Mandarin very well. I was able to easily converse with him. He doesn’t speak any English.

The apartment we stayed in was spacious. A huge living room, furnished with several tables, a television, and some stuffed chairs. They provide internet free of charge, but they only have DSL hookup (I was able to use Skype out to call America, no problems. Signal was loud and clear on both ends), however, I was able to find unsecured wifi access from our living room.

The kitchen was huge and supplied the usual appliances you’d find in China: refrigerator, propane stovetop, etc.

The bathroom had a walk in shower, no bath and a western styled toilet. You will need to bring your own towels.

The Yangs ran out of one bedroom suites when we arrived, so they gave us a two bedroom suite. The beds, although not American soft, we softer than most beds we’ve used in China. They charged us an additional 10 RMB per day, which was no problem for us since we got a bigger apartment. NOTE: You'll pay for your visit up front. Price per night for us was 230 RMB.

One thing is for certain, the Yang’s are at a very convenient location. The consulate area is literally less than a five minute walk, in fact, you really can’t miss it. On the same road is an IKEA, which when my wife saw it, went nuts. Directly across the street is a Japanese noodle place (味千拉面 – these are located throughout China, but their pretty good)a Starbucks, KFC, and a Pizza Hut. During my wife’s interview on Wednesday, I’m planning on heading over to the Starbucks instead of waiting in the coffee shop located by the consulate (for the same price you can get more coffee and have access to wifi.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2pr7ldw.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2mxe9mx.jpg

Both of these locations are a stone’s throw from the Yang’s. I thought about making a map, but there is really no need because you’ll see them , especially if Mr. Yang picks you guys from the train station. (If they don't call you which they probably will, just have your Chinese counterpart, or you if you can speak Chinese, and tell them when your getting there, and they'll be happy to meet you. Calling ahead is wise anyways, just to make sure they will have a room waiting for you when you reach GUZ.) You’ll pass them on the way. BTW, Mr. Yang called us twice before we got on the train, just to confirm our arrival time. I appreciated the courteous attention to detail.

http://i50.tinypic.com/28bvecp.jpg

Entrance to the Yang’s. We stayed in building A. There is a building B as well which they also use. No worries, the buildings are right beside each other.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2vua979.jpg

Kitchen

http://i48.tinypic.com/fkmcdg.jpg

Laundry Room

Really for the price and all of the services that the Yang’s provide, you really can’t get a better deal. One thing did surprise me. I was minding my own business, when all of the sudden three women unlocked our outer door and walked in. Apparently, the Yangs, because of the lack of apartments mentioned earlier, they used one from another landlord. After contacting Mr. Yang, he sighed and said he’ll take care of it. He sure did. Five minutes later, the three women came up and profusely apologized, and said that they would not return until after we left. I didn’t hear what Yang told them, but my wife did. She said something to the effect “I’ve told you ladies not to interrupt my guests. Stay out while they are there. They expect a certain level of privacy, (not to mention personal documents). Now, my wife also mentioned that his tone was extremely “strong” whatever that means :)

If you go to Guangzhou in the near future, be sure to always carry your passport with you. Bruce and I were stopped today by a policeman making checks on all foreigners. Apparently, they’re cracking down on those who are staying illegally. Our encounter with the law was pleasant enough – no problems there.

Mrs. Yang was a great help to me. I needed to print out pictures (8 pictures cost around 10 RMB) of our apartment in the States, so she took me to a cheap two hour photo shop, which I believe is in a recently built mall near the consulate (if standing on the road in front of the consulate and the consulate it is on your left side, walk about 100 yards). Two hours later, her sister accompanied me back to the photo shop to pick up our photos.

After returning to the apartment, I had about 40 minutes to kill before going to ACH. The Yang’s called to remind me that I needed to get in line at 1:30 PM for ACH. 15 minutes before that time, Mrs. Yang came down and accompanied smokysky and I to the consulate floor. That was probably not needed, but it was nice nonetheless.

For those of you who are on the fence about attending ACH, I would recommend it, if for anything else, it’s cool to see where my wife would have her interview. If you’ve ever been to a bank in China, it’s exactly like that.

I brought all of our domicile evidence, hoping the officer would look through some stuff. He didn’t. He said that they can no longer look at documents specific to the case, but that I could tell him what documents were included in our domicile folder. He didn’t say either way whether that was enough or not, but he did elude that Jingjing and I have done our homework. We’ll find out on Wednesday.

The officer himself was extremely cordial and did his best to be helpful. At no time, did I feel like he was trying to rush me. Our conversation was pleasant. Because they didn’t look at any of my documents, I went to plan B. I asked the following questions:

1. Please explain domicile further. – This allowed me to vocally present our information.

2. How long is the entry visa (6 months)? – Now I have to be honest with you guys, I knew this one but asked it because I wanted to emphasize that I had several job interviews lined up after returning to the States, and that I wanted to “keep in touch with my potential employers so that I could give them a time frame. This question also allowed me to tell them our plans for the future – Jingjing wanting to continue her education, plans to leave China after we spend one last New Year with Jingjing’s family, etc.

3. Do I need to get my EOR notarized? – Short answer, no. He said that it really doesn’t make any more authentic. However, I’m still going to do so in hopes that they review it, and ask me some questions.

After my questions, we talked about this and that. He was a nice guy and I enjoyed our conversation and hopefully it built some rapport.

People who want to participate in ACH need to get there around 1:30, and the questioning begins at 2:30.

My wife left for her medical around 10:30 AM. She went to the United Family Clinic and returned around 4:00 PM. Mr. Yang went with her and stayed with her during the whole ordeal. My wife received three shots: Varicella, MMR, and TD (price 440 RMB – Medical Exam 800 RMB – taxi from the Yang’s 12 RMB).

http://www.unitedfamilyhospitals.com/gzindex.asp

Expect more tomorrow and Wednesday. Sorry, this was kind of long.

EDIT: More about the ACH:

The VO gave me a copy of the the domicile criteria they use:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86988.pdf

basically it lists these things (I'm sure it's not conclusive, but he may of been specifically speaking from a DCF viewpoint:

1. Opening a bank account

2. Transferring funds to the US

3. Making investments in the US

4. Seeking employment in the US

5. Registering children in US schools

6. Applying for a social security number; and

7. Voting in local, state, or federal elections.

I also asked him about organizing the "kitchen sink" (no I didn't call it that). He said what VO's often do is suspect what you don't have and then ask for that. I assumed that, but thought it was interesting that he offered that tidbit of info.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

http://i49.tinypic.com/33wm9gi.jpg

Messy living room (our fault)

http://i46.tinypic.com/2v2faq8.jpg

Dining table. – The Yang’s also got their hands on an iron and ironing board for me.

http://i45.tinypic.com/vw03c.jpg

Bathroom - The shower faucet is outside the divider behind the door/ opposite of the sink.

http://i50.tinypic.com/15qyydv.jpg

Bedroom

Sorry, couldn't fit all of the pictures on one post. I realize the shots are a little tight, but it was hard to get a full room shot. It should be enough though to give you an idea. I'll post again tomorrow.

Thanks for the story. Interesting about the ladies entering your apartment. I recall a CFL member posting last year about losing some money and blaming the Yangs in another post. We didn't use them but they sounded like awfully nice people and that would be completely against their nature. So it sounds like watch your stuff because you never know who has a key. Which is good advice in any country!

If you like sushi there is a decent place across the street towards the train station. and an even better one at the top of the same mall the Papa Johns is in. There is also sort of a deli place near kfc. They havE sandwiches, pastas and M&M sugar cookies! I had some nice lox and eggs there one morning. And IKEA has nice hot dogs and the food within their maze is decent and cheap. Of course I am only dreaming of Little Sheep hot pot these days!

I saw the dogs in IKEA. I went searching for the mexican place (I suck at pinyin that lack tone markers and MUCH prefer reading the actual characters. It's so much easier for me to get the tones right), but didn't find it. I'll look again tomorrow during the light of day. I'll take more photos outside as well, if I come across anything interesting. Thanks for the information, Michael.

I believe it was an honest mistake today with the ladies. I was able to understand what the landlord was saying (giving cleaning instructions to the other ladies), even so, I was a little strong when I was talking with them. I agree, I don't believe the Yang's would lift anything (in fact, just so I could get an even 90 in change for my photos, Mrs. Yang forked over 5 jiao without me even asking (I think that's just their nature), but perhaps that past accusation was why Yang was so livid on the phone. It's not uncommon for apartment owners to hire cleaning help, and let's face it, most of them work for little pay.

The Yangs will give you a key card to get in the downstars door, as well as keys to the apartment. There is also a guard stationed downstairs. You have to also take into consideration, that the Yangs more or less provide what I'd consider a hostel. It isn't a regulated hotel, so there are bound to be some issues that you wouldn't expect if you were staying at an actual hotel. We knew that going into it.

The ladies after entering our apartment, saw me and kept talking. They weren't bothered by my presence, nor were they surprised. I seriously doubt they intended on acting out any devious heists. My reason for being a little strong (I did try to be polite though) was the fact that I basically have our life's history in a box. If we brought only clothes, it wouldn't of bothered me much.

I would still recommend the Yangs in a heartbeat.

Good writeup! Added your information about the apartment and area to the Yang's Tianyu garden thread.

Yang's Tianyu Garden Thread

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=526780

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

We stayed at the Yangs too.

We had booked a room in the GUZ building a month in advance and had my SO go down there to put a deposit on it.

We called him and were told the previous occupants will leave at 11AM and we could come in any time after that.

I went ACS for my 11.30 appointment and we were unable to reach Yang till about 12.30. His phone was TURNED OFF.

We were then told he did not have a room in the GUZ building for us.

I was livid and ready to check into a hotel when he called us back and said he will put us up in his sisters(?) place at the Concordia.

I tried asking him some things about the interview process and trends he had being seeing.

He was nice but NO HELP and spoke very little english.

The apartment was nice and clean and HAD A SEPERATE SHOWER STALL and we had no problems.

I probably would not recommend him might as well stay in the hotel close to GUZ.

We stayed at the Yangs too.

We had booked a room in the GUZ building a month in advance and had my SO go down there to put a deposit on it.

We called him and were told the previous occupants will leave at 11AM and we could come in any time after that.

I went ACS for my 11.30 appointment and we were unable to reach Yang till about 12.30. His phone was TURNED OFF.

We were then told he did not have a room in the GUZ building for us.

I was livid and ready to check into a hotel when he called us back and said he will put us up in his sisters(?) place at the Concordia.

I tried asking him some things about the interview process and trends he had being seeing.

He was nice but NO HELP and spoke very little english.

The apartment was nice and clean and HAD A SEPERATE SHOWER STALL and we had no problems.

I probably would not recommend him might as well stay in the hotel close to GUZ.

It's cool that you posted it here, but why didn't you post this in the TianYu Garden thread? The Yangs welcome your input, and I'm sure they'd give feedback as well. They tend to only read that thread, so it's likely they won't see this.

Not everyone is perfect, everyone makes mistakes. To be honest, and I'm not doubting your experience, it sure doesn't sound like the same Yangs who are helping us or Smokiessky for that matter - They've been equally pleased with them.

[quote name='Kyle' date='Nov 23 2009, 11:03 AM' post='526788'

It's cool that you posted it here, but why didn't you post this in the TianYu Garden thread? The Yangs welcome your input, and I'm sure they'd give feedback as well. They tend to only read that thread, so it's likely they won't see this.

Not everyone is perfect, everyone makes mistakes. To be honest, and I'm not doubting your experience, it sure doesn't sound like the same Yangs who are helping us or Smokiessky for that matter - They've been equally pleased with them.

I could have posted this in that thread a month ago but chose not to.

As you said every one makes mistakes or he might have been having a bad day. We were only staying there one day maybe that had something to do with it, I dont know.

The experience for CFLers has been overwhelmingly good at the Yangs so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt so to speak.