Off to see the wizard of GUZ

Jingjing and I received her EMS package (via the Yangs in GUZ) today! Everything looks in order. We're planning a special night, tomorrow evening full of hotpot and an appointment with a massage service (legit massage service) afterward!! The good Lord knows I need it after taking that overnight train from WUH to GUZ. ;) Thanks again, CFL, for your help.

Note: For obvious reasons, important information was redacted from the above picture.

EDIT: My wife is UNHAPPY with her visa picture, so she's forcing me by chopstick-point to post an alternative picture. My apologies, Jingjing.

I thought the visa was valid for 6 months ... it seems that took almost a month away?

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

Nope. We expected this. America and China have a match, tit-for-tat mindset when it comes to entry visas. At least, this is what the VO told me. He did say that it would be approx 6 months, but that was just off the top of his head. Everyone we asked told us that their visas were valid for approx. 5 months

Ugh. I am so jealous of you. Other than my family, the two things I miss the most are xiao fei yang (we went there almost once a week while in Neimenggu...) and massages (the legit kind, we went there almost once a week too)! Ahhh, what a good year that was.

Enjoy it now, you will never get those things once you get back to the US!!

Be careful what you wish for.

Well, you expect Mickey D's to be everywhere (except Iceland maybe). Now be prepared for a bit of a reverse culture shock.

http://www.littlesheephotpot.com/finder.asp

BTW, there are a couple of locations that it doesn't list here. There's a lot more franchises around than meets the eye.

I know...I told my husband my goal was to visit every xiao fei yang in the world :D They have them in Japan, too, and some other countries :D :D Heehee

• 3 weeks later...

Nope. We expected this. America and China have a match, tit-for-tat mindset when it comes to entry visas. At least, this is what the VO told me. He did say that it would be approx 6 months, but that was just off the top of his head. Everyone we asked told us that their visas were valid for approx. 5 months

I was browsing the newly updated GUZ website (which I find to be much more user friendly and informative) and found this:

In most cases, an immigrant visa is valid for six months from the date of issuance (K3 visas are valid for two years). This will give you six months to prepare for your departure to the United States. However, visas may be limited to expire before the 6-month period due to the early expiration of important documents or other reasons. Please review your visa information carefully.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/visa_issuance.htmm

I found that their FAQ answers quite a few questions that I've been seeing around here. It might be worth a look for those who are getting ready to interview.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/iv_faqs.html

Also, the links I previously listed referencing the mailing policy are no longer valid. Here is the updated information, which can also be found by checking out the above FAQ link.

Once your visa has been approved, you will need to make arrangements with China Post to either pick up or have your visa mailed to you (but please note--this service is currently only an option if you live in Guangdong Province or in the city of Beijing, Shanghai, Fuzhou, Changle, Nanjing, Wenzhou, Tianjin, Shenyang and Changchun). Passports are typically available for pick-up within 3 business days after the interview. For more information on courier delivery for immigrant visas, please click here.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tuesday

I had an appointment for ACS this morning at 10:00 AM. I took care of two things - total cost 30 USD:

1. Added additional pages to my passport

2. Got my EOR letter notarized.

I showed up a little early, which was fine. I concluded my business quickly and exited the building around 10:20. NOTE: You can schedule more than one service during the same visit, however, you must first make two separate appointments online through the USCONGUZ website (at which point you will select identical dates and time for each service). No problems with the ACS. The vice-council who notarized my EOR did not ask any additional questions, however, he did spend a long time comparing the dates mentioned in my letter (I used MANY ¨C mm/yyyy) with the visas, entry/exit stamps in my passport. During his preparation, I just sat and waited. Smokiessky was also there at the same time getting his EOR taken care of as well.

After I returned to our apartment, Mrs. Yang, came over again to make sure I made my ACS meeting, and to help organize Jingjing¡¯s kitchen sink. She told us that we were very well prepared that that the consulate officer might just give us the pink slip w/o asking any questions! Seriously doubt it, but I wish. She spent about an hour helping her.

Mrs. Yang, can speak English, and I believe her listening ability is honed in fairly well. Please understand that English isn¡¯t her first language, and that misinterpretations occur (from both parties). I¡¯ve had no problem speaking with her, but I¡¯ve done so almost completely in Chinese, which I think she prefers. I just wanted you guys not to set unreasonable expectations. Regardless, I¡¯m sure your fianc¨¦/e or spouse will be with you and would easily help you overcome any language barrier. Jingjing and I have appreciated everything that Mrs. Yang has done for us.

Later, Jingjing and I headed up to the Yang¡¯s business office to print out a few documents (from my trusty digital sink) on their office computer. Mrs. Yang DOES NOT CARE if you need to print out a few docs on their computer. Of course, they didn¡¯t charge us for the copies.

UPDATE:

This just happened. While eating lunch, two more uninvited guests entered our apartment (the landlord's husband was giving a tour to a potential tenant) . Now, I¡¯m a patient guy and I try to be the ol¡¯ ¡°slow to anger, quick to love¡± person my parents raised me to be, but I really struggled this time around - one time's a fluke, but two times? Come on, now. Last time, my wife told Yang what happened. This time, I told her it was my turn so we called Mr. Yang down for a heart-to-heart, Kyle-style.

I was successful in being polite, but I threw the caution of being too strong out the door. I gave him three options:

1. Move us to an apartment that he himself owns.

2. Change the lock and replace it after we leave.

3. We leave and find a new place for the duration of our trip.

Yang quickly chose to change the locks and said he would do so in thirty minutes, with no charge to us. He completely understood our ¡°frustration¡±

I¡¯m not the ¡°threaten¡± type, but I did state matter-of-factly that I was documenting our whole GUZ experience and would relay EVERYTHING to the CFL community (then my wife chimed in and said the same thing on 001). Not really knowing how to reply, he just smiled and nodded ¨C acknowledging that he understood. After it was all said and done, he confessed that he actually doesn¡¯t own any of the apartments that he rents out, rather, he sublets them out from other landlords. He stated that this was the first time that the landlord didn¡¯t respect the agreement and that the landlord who owns our apartment was new and that she didn¡¯t yet learn how things work around here.

Mr. Yang is a great guy and I HAVE NO DOUBTS that he and his wife are honest and carry a great depth of integrity. Would I still recommend the Yang¡¯s? Yes, but with one stipulation:

Make certain they are aware that you¡¯ve read this account and suggest having the locks changed at the beginning of your stay.

I offered to pay for the new lock and to hire the locksmith to make the change. The Yang¡¯s would not allow me to pay. I¡¯m uncertain how much it cost; however, I know for certain you can get the same thing done in Wuhan (because I did it) for less than 100 RMB. For me, that¡¯s worth it, for having the peace-of-mind and privacy I expect when carrying around the kitchen sink. The Yang¡¯s understood all of this and they also agreed. Needless to say, Mr. Yang was (I hate to use this word) pissed. Before he was out the door, he was dialing up the landlord on his cell phone.

CONSIDER YOURSELVES INFORMED

However, pertaining to the service attitude of the Yang¡¯s I have nothing but praise. They have exceeded all of our expectations by a substantial margin.

Jingjing, just told me that Mrs. Yang, knows how to change the lock, so apparently no locksmith is needed. They also have a spare lock so there was no need to purchase one.

Apparently what happened was that Yang chewed out the woman landlord yesterday, but she didn¡¯t tell her husband. I suspect that she probably kept this from him because of the face factor. I have a hard time believing that she ¡°just forgot¡± to do so. The previous sentence though is pure speculation on my part.

After the Yang¡¯s changed our lock, Jingjing and I focused on organizing our kitchen sink. This is how we did it:

Jingjing bought several plastic see-through folders (11 of them) and after filling all of them with our information, we stacked them. We then proceeded to make tabs (think of a Bible) labeled 1,2,3 . . .11. I think Randy suggested (if I miss quoted, then I apologize for not giving the proper credit) making a cover sheet to hand the VO itemizing our kitchen sink. We made two copies, one for Jingjing and one for her VO. See below:

http://i49.tinypic.com/332vvw8.jpg

This evening we hung out with Smokiessky and his fianc¨¦e. It was a nice time of dinner and getting to know one another. It¡¯s great to make friendships through CFL, but it¡¯s even better when you have a chance to meet in person ¨C you know, to put a face with the name.. err uhh I mean, username.

After dinner, Jingjing and I went to their apartment and discussed their case, and gave them a few pointers that may help them out.

Later, we returned home and put the finishing touches on the ¡°sink¡± The only thing we didn¡¯t add to it was a red bow. You know, I put a lot of work into it, and I have to say, it¡¯s a work of CFL art. I kind of have reservations about Jingjing going through it tomorrow and messing it all up :).

thanks for the details, this thread has lots of useful info.

is it necessary to get the relationship letter notorized?

i see two pairs of legs here, http://i49.tinypic.com/332vvw8.jpg

is that what you showed to the interviewer? :)

would you mind reposting this cuz i really want to compare what i have to yours.

thanks

no, i deleted some pictures off of my tinypic account. guess my old url got reassigned to some legs.

The VO told me it wasn't necessary to notarize the EOR because it wouldn't make the content any more authentic. I still chose to do so, hoping that the guy notarizing it would ask me some questions. He didn't. Some swear by it, but if I were to do it again, I wouldn't spend the 30 USD. A notarized EOR letter isn't going to make up for a lack of preparation or a generally weak case. If it'll help you sleep better at night, then go ahead and do it. If you're in America, I'd probably have it notarized at your local bank for free (or a small fee) and bring it with you to China. Giving your wife your passport will do the same as far as proving you're with her in GUZ. JMO

I'm in Xiamen as I type this. After I return home, I'll try to re-up my document list. We will return from our trip on Wednesday (China time)

I had my EOR letter notarized there,I would do it again,if had to do this all over again,in the real world being well prepared would be enough,in the land of Guz sometimes it is not enough,thus the "kitchen sink"....our second interview we brought the kitchen sink and the bathtub.....and then,none of it was looked at LOL :lol: ...my wife and I were well prepared in the first interview...but i was not there in Guz the first time,and that may or may not have played a role in that decision...its hard to say really ,because there are no concrete rules,theres many things that go into play here,none all that clear for instance ,how about the issue of english,does the lack of english play arole in a VO's decision? it might.I know when I went to Guz to see the wizard,(ACH)the second time around,i addressed this issue to the VO,as my wife does not know alot of english,i was asked many questions on how do we communicate,and then again for others it may not be a factor,in my opinion,as i think this whole process is a joke,but i think even if it seems retarted and silly to do,do it anyway,it certainly isnt going to hurt,getting your EOR letter notarised in Guz,unless of course you dont have the 30 usd to pay for it. I think 30 usd is a bit outrageous to pay for something to be notarized,on the other hand they do read them and it gets noted in the computer that you had a Letter notarized there,at least when i was there,she typed something in the computer.My opinion, go the extra mile to avoid getting denied,you can never be too sure about anything.

Jimi

@ msqm

Here's everything we brought. The VO didn't look at any of it though.

Appointment Letter and Passport

1 ¨C Appointment Letter

1 ¨C Wife¡¯s Passport ¨C Current and Canceled

Must Hand In

2 ¨C Copy of Wife¡¯s Passport Bio/Signature page

2 ¨C Marriage Translated/Notarized Book

2 - Birth Certificate Translated/Notarized Book

2 ¨C Police Statement Translated/Notarized Book

2 ¨C My I-864 and Tax Returns 2006-2008

2 ¨C Joint-sponsor's I-864 and Tax Returns 2006-2008

2 ¨C Joint-sponsor's Letter explaining domicile & Finances ¨C Notarized copy

2 ¨C Deed of the house in America ¨C Notarized copy

2 ¨C Physical examination results

2 ¨C Joint-sponsor's - Current Bank Statement

Return Plan

3 ¨C My Resume (which is posted on Monster.com)

3 ¨C Three Letters from potential employers (for me) requesting interview

3 ¨C Pictures of our apartment where we¡¯re staying in America

My Information

4 ¨C Letter explaining our relationship - Notarized

4 ¨C My valid drivers license

4 ¨C My Bachelor¡¯s degree certificate ¨C Notarized copy

4 ¨C My Birth Certificate and Social Security card ¨C Notarized copy

4 ¨C My Passport copy and visa pages ¨C Complete

Welcome Letters/Reference Letters from Friends and Family

5 ¨C My Brother - Letter includes copy of Drivers License

5 ¨C My Father - Letter includes copy of Drivers License

5 ¨C My Mother - Letter includes copy of Drivers License

5 ¨C Mutual Friend - Letter includes copy of passport Bio page

5 ¨C Mutual Friend from China ¨C Letter includes copy of passport Bio page

Wife¡¯s Work Information ¨C China

6 ¨C Wife¡¯s Resume

6 ¨C Certificate of Employment

My evidence of residence in China

7 ¨C Certificate of Study from Central China Normal Univ.

7 ¨C Work certificate from Di Da University

7 ¨C Former teaching contracts (three)

7 ¨C Certificate of residence stating my wife and I living are together 2007 - Present

Other Financial Documents from America

8 ¨C Vanguard Retirement Account ¨C Wife primary beneficiary

8 ¨C Statement of Checking Acct ¨C One per year 2007-09 Wife joint-owner

8 ¨C Sharebuilder Investment Acct

8 ¨C Capital One credit card statement ¨C One month

Other Relationship Evidence

9 ¨C Plane ticket record from our third US trip together ¨C 2008

9 ¨C Chinese credit card bill ¨C OCT 2009

9 ¨C Pictures ¨C two books

• Book 1 ¨C Picture with Family ¨C 2005 - 2009

• Book 2 ¨C Pictures of us together - 2004 - 2009

Each book contained around 50 pictures

Wife¡¯s other personal information

10 ¨C National ID copy

10 ¨C Family Book copy (Hukou)

Other Documents

11 - Packet 1 and Packet 3 Documents previously submitted

11 - Marriage Certificates - Original

11 ¨C My passport - Original

11 - My Drivers License ¨C Original

11 - Mine and my wife's Chinese credit card - Original

11 - My student ID book ¨C China - Original

We had a total of 11 folders.

@ msqm

1 ¨C Appointment Letter

Must Hand In

Return Plan

My Information

6 ¨C Wife¡¯s Resume

7 ¨C Certificate of residence stating my wife and I living are together 2007 - Present

10 ¨C National ID copy

Other Documents

this is the information I would recommend too, especially if you are blue-sliped or refiling after a white. give them all you have to prove you have a real relationship.

@ msqm

1 ¨C Appointment Letter

Must Hand In

Return Plan

My Information

6 ¨C Wife¡¯s Resume

10 ¨C National ID copy

Other Documents

thanks Kyle. much appreciate it.

• 1 month later...

No problem, that's why I did what I did - Hopefully others can use it.

Sorry about the tiger though. I shouldn't of deleted some of my tinypic pictures. Seems the old URL's got reassigned to another user's picture. Maybe the powers that be can delete Tony from my posts on pages 5 and 6 if they so choose. Really, it doesn't matter - it's just loading time/bandwidth.

• 1 year later...

All great info here........filing it away for future purposes!!

Thanks. After reading through it, there might be some outdated information though. I'm mainly thinking of the fee schedule; I also believe GUZ now mails to a broader area than they did back when I interviewed.

China Post

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/china-post-delivery-of-approved-immigrant-visas-now-available-to-applicants-throughout-china.html

and

Fee Information

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43801-question-about-fees/