Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

weiaijiayou

Discrimination is the unequal treatment of parties who are similarly situated. If a white couple came in and we married by this racist, then the mixed couple has a case.

Whether they filed is irrelevant if they were told that if they filed they would not be married. It would help from an evidentiary point of view, however.

I guess more to the point as to what I'm trying to say, this story is very "media" related. I'm not sure for example if the couple actually talked to the Justice of the Peace at all (it says for example they talked to his wife). Did this conversation take place during a time/place of business or after hours. However, I don't believe the wife's statements could have prohibited them from filing, then on the grounds of whatever denial the Justice of the Peace would make would have made this a much bigger issue (IMHO).

Don't get me wrong, if what was said to them on a phone call and then someone contacted the judge and he expressed his opinion in print, then discrimation took place here. I'm just not sure I completely understand the details of the case to throw the book at the judge yet (I see that yahoo updated the story and two civil and constitutional rights are calling for him to resign).

Here are two links from local sources.

http://www.fox8live.com/mostpopular/story/...SDs9HAMXwA.cspx

http://www.hammondstar.com/articles/2009/1...tories/8847.txt

What I find interesting are these two reported comments:

The Attorney General's office has told me I'm in violation of the law, but I have the right to recuse myself. I don't feel like I've done anything wrong."

An attorney has advised Bardwell to just tell inter-racial coupes he couldn't marry them because he was busy on the day of their ceremony.

In most states the JOP are required to marry people as long as they meet all the requirements. They can only refuse if the people do not meet the requirements as set forth by law.

Again, putting the shoe on the other foot, I wonder what kind of discussion we would be having if one of our members reported that he was not allowed to get married at the Chinese provincal Foreign Affairs office because the offical in charge did not agree with mixed Chinese/American marriage due to it being "hard" for the kids.

This is just plain wrong and there is no way to defend it or say the media has caused a stir.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure he can say whatever he wants, but as has been pointed out, he has a job to do which is fairly well defined. It's not his job to act as a judge of who is compatible.

Which is the other reason that he claims that he doesn't marry mixed couples. Perhaps the divorce rate is higher in these relationships. Perhaps it is not. But to use that as another excuse to not marry people when that's your job, is another crock of crap that he is dishing out.

Edited by Smitty (see edit history)
  • 3 weeks later...

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/11/03/louis...acial.marriage/

Bardwell, speaking to CNN affiliate WBRZ, said he was advised "that I needed to step down because they was going to take me to court, and I was going to lose."

"I would probably do the same thing again," he said. "I found out I can't be a justice of the peace and have a conscience."

He tendered his resignation today - in person.

LMAO.........did this jackass really say that in front of the media?

"I would probably do the same thing again," he said. "I found out I can't be a justice of the peace and have a conscience."

Geeeeeeezzzzzzz..............I'll say it like the guy in the commercial for CASTROL motor oil (I think that's the one) when he says; "You're thinking with your dipstick!........Jimmy"!

Edited by dcwfn (see edit history)
Guest Tony n Terrific

Since we are forced to live in a politically correct society now we must always be on guard with what we say or do. The 21st century will go down in history as the brain washing and decline of America and the American populace will believe and endorse mediocrity.

I would agree that the judge has a right to his opinions, but as has been stated as a judge it is his job to follow the law and enforce it. He is not supposed to let his opinions and feelings be part of that.

He is right in saying that there are those on both sides that do not believe in mixed marriages. And they have a right to have those opinions as long as they don't try to force others to go by them also.

There are different kinds of racism. A distinction that the media never seems to make. There are some that as the judge said don't believe in mixing races, but they don't hate other races. My grandfather was like this. And even if I don't agree with it that is their right. Then there are those that hate other races and promote violence to them, those are the ones that should not be tolerated.

As was said over two hundred years ago, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Since we are forced to live in a politically correct society now we must always be on guard with what we say or do. The 21st century will go down in history as the brain washing and decline of America and the American populace will believe and endorse mediocrity.

I don't see any connection between racism and being politically correct. Are you saying it's OK to be a racist but people are afraid to be because it isn't politically correct?

I don't see any connection between racism and being politically correct. Are you saying it's OK to be a racist but people are afraid to be because it isn't politically correct?

I have to agree.....I cannot see how anyone can justify anything this person has said. He should keep his mouth closed in order to not remove all doubt as to his stupidity.

Guest Tony n Terrific

When I was growing up I was taught that abilty puts you on top. Now being a politically correct ass kissing coward puts you there. This syndrome is starting to crack now. Bottom line I do not care what race or nationality a person is. A person must earn the respect of their fellow man. My Father did. He was called a WOP, A Dago, a Greaseball. He refused to let society grind him in the mud. He earned the respect of his adopted fellow Americans by building a good life and supported his family. He did not look to the government for help. This would have been a disgrace for him to do so. I am racist against superficial phonies, on going ignorance and slothfulness.

When I was growing up I was taught that abilty puts you on top. Now being a politically correct ass kissing coward puts you there. This syndrome is starting to crack now. Bottom line I do not care what race or nationality a person is. A person must earn the respect of their fellow man. My Father did. He was called a WOP, A Dago, a Greaseball. He refused to let society grind him in the mud. He earned the respect of his adopted fellow Americans by building a good life and supported his family. He did not look to the government for help. This would have been a disgrace for him to do so. I am racist against superficial phonies, on going ignorance and slothfulness.

How does any of this apply to the JOP in La.?

Edited by whome? (see edit history)

I don't see the connection either.

But to the comments you made I see just the opposite in that racism prevents one race from having the same choices as another. The very nature of racism precludes any respect because one is of the 'wrong' race.

This judge, like all judges, swears to uphold the US Constitution. He failed to do that by any measure.

Good riddance of him.

As for Political Correctness ... that's referencing any generally acceptable public speech. It doesn't prevent anyone from their having their own values that differ than those of society. And if someone wants to march with the Nazis, Skinheads or KKK they are free to do so under the US Constitution.

Edited by Yuanyang (see edit history)

I don't see the connection either.

But to the comments you made I see just the opposite in that racism prevents one race from having the same choices as another. The very nature of racism precludes any respect because one is of the 'wrong' race.

This judge, like all judges, swears to uphold the US Constitution. He failed to do that by any measure.

Good riddance of him.

As for Political Correctness ... that's referencing any generally acceptable public speech. It doesn't prevent anyone from their having their own values that differ than those of society. And if someone wants to march with the Nazis, Skinheads or KKK they are free to do so under the US Constitution.

Well said my friend!