Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

weiaijiayou

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difficult issue. I vehemently disagree with his belief but I also defend his right to say it. As a justice of the peace I'm not sure he has the right to refuse but he himself said "I didn't say they couldn't get married, I just refuse to do it." I wouldn't want such a person to officiate my wedding.

Difficult issue. I vehemently disagree with his belief but I also defend his right to say it. As a justice of the peace I'm not sure he has the right to refuse but he himself said "I didn't say they couldn't get married, I just refuse to do it." I wouldn't want such a person to officiate my wedding.

Thank you....I skimmed the article before logging onto CFL. I could not bear to read that drivel again. But I remember the Judge¡¯s statement as you quote it.

The Judge is cool and the whiney snot brat has a megaphone in the US media. God forbid if we have some kind of standard above mediocrity. Laws can not be written for every possible situation. I expect a Judge to be impartial and wise; this guy exercised restraint, broke no law and is not an activist. His statements are credible; the brat is just not very credible nor is the media (his megaphone).

good for the Judge.

Thank you....I skimmed the article before logging onto CFL. I could not bear to read that drivel again. But I remember the Judge¡¯s statement as you quote it.

The Judge is cool and the whiney snot brat has a megaphone in the US media. God forbid if we have some kind of standard above mediocrity. Laws can not be written for every possible situation. I expect a Judge to be impartial and wise; this guy exercised restraint, broke no law and is not an activist. His statements are credible; the brat is just not very credible nor is the media (his megaphone).

good for the Judge.

Your comment reminded me of an email Okie2 (Bob) sent me the other day about how you cannot trust the media and how they can distort the truth.

A Harley biker is riding by the zoo in Washington, DC when he sees a little girl leaning into the lion's cage. Suddenly, the lion grabs her by the cuff of her jacket and tries to pull her inside to slaughter her, under the eyes of her screaming parents.

The biker jumps off his Harley, runs to the cage and hits the lion square on the nose with a powerful punch. Whimpering from the pain the lion jumps back letting go of the girl, and the biker takes her to her terrified parents, who thank him endlessly. A reporter has watched the whole event.

The reporter addressing the Harley rider says, 'Sir, this was the most gallant and brave thing I've seen a man do in my whole life.' The Harley rider replies, 'Why, it was nothing really, the lion was behind bars. I just saw this little kid in danger and acted as I felt right.'

The reporter says, 'Well, I'll make sure this won't go unnoticed. I'm a journalist, you know, and tomorrow's paper will have this story on the front page... So, what do you do for a living and what's your political affiliation ?'

The biker replies, 'I'm a U.S. Marine and a Republican.' The reporter jots down the information.

The next morning the biker buys the paper to see if it indeed brings news of his actions, and reads on the front page:

"U.S. MARINE ASSAULTS AFRICAN IMMIGRANT AND STEALS HIS LUNCH"

That pretty much sums up the media's approach to the news these days.

The Judge is cool ...... His statements are credible; the brat is just not very credible nor is the media (his megaphone).

good for the Judge.

Your comment reminded me of an email Okie2 (Bob) sent me the other day about how you cannot trust the media and how they can distort the truth.

The reporter says, 'Well, I'll make sure this won't go unnoticed. I'm a journalist, you know, and tomorrow's paper will have this story on the front page... So, what do you do for a living and what's your political affiliation ?'

The biker replies, 'I'm a U.S. Marine and a Republican.' The reporter jots down the information.

The next morning the biker buys the paper to see if it indeed brings news of his actions, and reads on the front page:

"U.S. MARINE ASSAULTS AFRICAN IMMIGRANT AND STEALS HIS LUNCH"

That pretty much sums up the media's approach to the news these days.

how you put this together....!.....? :(

You are one dangerous person at the keyboard.

B)

and that Okie2 guy is another no-nonsense feller ;)

That's roughly like walking into a business where they say, "Sorry, we don't serve your kind here". Shouldn't happen.

If the guy can't or won't perform his duties, he shouldn't be in the job.

"I didn't say they couldn't get married, I just refuse to do it."

That's roughly like walking into a business where they say, "Sorry, we don't serve your kind here". Shouldn't happen.

point well taken.

and you do say 'roughly'....so.... I think a distinction is here:

The ¡®race issue¡¯ in this marriage request is discrimination of lifestyle choice.

The ¡®race issue¡¯ of a business owner refusing service to ¡®your kind¡¯ is discrimination of a race.

There is a difference there.

I could be wrong: Does it benefit society to allow prejudice against a particular choice of lifestyle?

point well taken.

and you do say 'roughly'....so.... I think a distinction is here:

The ¡®race issue¡¯ in this marriage request is discrimination of lifestyle choice.

The ¡®race issue¡¯ of a business owner refusing service to ¡®your kind¡¯ is discrimination of a race.

There is a difference there.

I could be wrong: Does it benefit society to allow prejudice against a particular choice of lifestyle?

who is this man to make discision on other, how many white couples does he say no too. he is a racist, all cfl members should choose to marry with him, 4000 mixes marriage request this week .

I am an American. The fact that I am an American by birth does not mean that I am entitled to any special privilages. (forgive my spelling) nor does it mean I am any better or any worse than anyone else. In addition to my American birthright, I too am from Dixie. I didn't select the place to be born. God took care of that for me. For the past 8 years I have lived less than 5 miles from the Confederate "White House" in Richmond, VA. If you're interested, the Confederate museum is directly next door. If you can find the MCV Hospital you can find these places also.

I actually prefer to think of myself as a "Southern Gentleman". I am not a man who takes this issue lightly. It means many different things to many different people but no, the Stars and Bars does not offend me at all. Am I racist? Not hardly. If I were I certainly would never have married a lady from Guangzhou. I said a few days ago in another post that the time was in this country when I would have owned her instead. That's not a pretty thought but that's the way it was. Thank goodness we've made progress on this issue. One of the best friends I have in the world today is actually a black couple. So, add it up. A Chinese wife, a black man who I welcome into my home at any time? 100 years ago the combination of the two would have only assured me of an immediate end to my life. My guess is that it would have been extremely painful.

I'm proud to be an American. I just happen to be an American who was born and who lives in "DIXIE". As far as some of the bad things associated with it go, yes. We need to remember those things as well. Maybe some of you can help me with this part. I can't remember who it was that said it. Perhaps it was President Lincoln himself who said: "If a man does not remember his past he is condemed to repeat it". That's a paraphrase but that's it. Truer words were never spoken!

who is this man to make discision on other, how many white couples does he say no too. he is a racist, all cfl members should choose to marry with him, 4000 mixes marriage request this week .

Is he against all interracial marriages?

That would be bad. If for nothing else how can he say where the race line is, thus allowing any marriage?

Is he against certain interracial marriages?

That may be bad. ¡­¡­probably is racial.

Is he against the town idiot making another dumb decision?

That may be OK; official elected by the town/city knows the people, media is incapable of reporting all pertinent details.

I could be wrong