Evolution of Relationship letter

I agree that the EOR can be a very important pice of evidence. I did not turn one in with the original petition (I hadn't found CFL yet!) and so I had one, hand written (people say my writing looks like a computer printout, but I think if it looks like a chicken stepped all over your paper, it's probably safer to type lol :lol: ). It was only one page, since that was the advice I received. I wrote a paragraph that described how we met (I decided to include the story that I fell off my bicycle and he picked me up). After that short "romance", I did a detailed timeline that is similar to what I have as my signature...date then event. I signed it and notarized it in GUZ since I was living in China; if you are in the US, I would just do it for free at the bank :lol:.

The VO only glanced at ours, even though my husband gave it to him with the pictures, which he looked at for a long time. One of the most important things I learned in my senior year of English in high school is that people like to skim. It's like when need to go to Hallmark to get a greeting card...many, if not most, people see a pretty card and then they open it up, and are like "jeez, that's too many words" and put it back. It might have been a nice set of words, but I already put the card back without even reading it. I believe that having it in a simple to read outline makes it easier to see the important aspects of your relationship.

I know there will be people who disagree with me, and that is ok. I think that when it comes to the EOR, you should do what feels right for you. If the romantic letter makes you feel more at ease, then I think it is what you should do.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do most of you feel about adding pictures (pasting them into a word doc) on your EOR? I know Roger did this with success. I have started my updated EOR letter by adding a few small (1"x 1.5") pictures next to almost each entry... the problem is, with my many trips to China, my EOR is looking like it will be at least 6 pages long! The text portion of my letter is reasonably concise (although maybe a bit on the romantic side), and could probably fit on 2-3 pages.

So, my question is... how important is it to include pictures in your EOR? Will it spark the VO's curiosity and make it more likely to be read? Or perhaps turn him/her off by it's length? My wife will have a significant number of actual photos to hand in... so maybe pictures on the EOR aren't necessary?

Also, should the EOR include the process "milestone" dates that many of us list in our signatures (form submission dates, approval date, etc.)?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

How do most of you feel about adding pictures (pasting them into a word doc) on your EOR? I know Roger did this with success. I have started my updated EOR letter by adding a few small (1"x 1.5") pictures next to almost each entry... the problem is, with my many trips to China, my EOR is looking like it will be at least 6 pages long! The text portion of my letter is reasonably concise (although maybe a bit on the romantic side), and could probably fit on 2-3 pages.

So, my question is... how important is it to include pictures in your EOR? Will it spark the VO's curiosity and make it more likely to be read? Or perhaps turn him/her off by it's length? My wife will have a significant number of actual photos to hand in... so maybe pictures on the EOR aren't necessary?

Also, should the EOR include the process "milestone" dates that many of us list in our signatures (form submission dates, approval date, etc.)?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I did not include any of those ¡°milestones¡±¡­mostly because the VOs would already know that info. I included information like date met, date married, date we moved to China, etc. I did not include pictures, but my hubby did take a photo album (the kind that fits 2 pictures on a page, and about 80 pictures in all). It was flexible and small. We included pictures from when we first met (before we began dating), from when we were dating, our ¡°wedding¡±(at the Japanese ward office), our time in China, etc. We made sure to include pictures that had my friends, his friends, and mutual friends, as well as some pictures that we had when my parents met his parents in Beijing. The VOs seem to really enjoy the pictures, my hubby said that the VO really took the time to look at the pictures. I guess pictures are a lot less straining on the eye than writing. Good luck and happy writing and picture hunting! My hubby and I had so much fun looking at all the pictures we collected over the time we were together.

We received blue our first interview:( I wrote a second EOR stating the facts of our relationship; ie: how we met, what made us decide to marry, how we communicate, etc... It is important to keep this detailed but very direct and focused.

I also wrote a second and very detailed letter with the details of each trip I made to China. I wrote where we went, what we did, who paid for stuff ( IE: MOSTLY ME ). In this letter I added pictures to complement the text. My EOR was 2 typed pages, the trip details ended up to be 8 pages long. Do not be afraid to get a little personal in these letters. Let them know you are serious about your relationship. If you love your hunny, be afraid NOT to tell them.

Blue overcome was a call-in letter to -->PINK !!!

If I had to read these documents all day I think I would prefer to read a cleanly typed page. Just my opinion.

Best of luck,

Ning and Jim...

We received blue our first interview:( I wrote a second EOR stating the facts of our relationship; ie: how we met, what made us decide to marry, how we communicate, etc... It is important to keep this detailed but very direct and focused.

I also wrote a second and very detailed letter with the details of each trip I made to China. I wrote where we went, what we did, who paid for stuff ( IE: MOSTLY ME ). In this letter I added pictures to complement the text. My EOR was 2 typed pages, the trip details ended up to be 8 pages long. Do not be afraid to get a little personal in these letters. Let them know you are serious about your relationship. If you love your hunny, be afraid NOT to tell them.

If I had to read these documents all day I think I would prefer to read a cleanly typed page. Just my opinion.

Best of luck,

Ning and Jim...

I like that. I'll type the letter and have it notarized here free in the state. It shouldn't make difference whether you typed or wrote. Typing seems look much cleaner and more formal in front of VO.

I just canceled the appointment of notarizing my document in ACS.

This thread is one of the most helpful thread, there is just so much important information in it.

Thanks.

Mei & Steve

Best of luck,

Ning and Jim...

I like that. I'll type the letter and have it notarized here free in the state. It shouldn't make difference whether you typed or wrote. Typing seems look much cleaner and more formal in front of VO.

This thread is one of the most helpful thread, there is just so much important information in it.

Thanks.

Mei & Steve

How can you get notorization for free? And when do you give this Evolution of Relationship letter to the consulate? During the interview?

Best of luck,

Ning and Jim...

Thanks.

Mei & Steve

How can you get notorization for free? And when do you give this Evolution of Relationship letter to the consulate? During the interview?

you should get it notarized in Guangzhou during Amercian Citizen Service, this way it would give the VO a chance to read it and possibly make your interview more eaiser....... again possibly...

Best of luck,

Ning and Jim...

Thanks.

Mei & Steve

I had mine notorized for free at work by a lady in the accounting office

Best of luck,

Ning and Jim...

Thanks.

Mei & Steve

you should get it notarized in Guangzhou during Amercian Citizen Service, this way it would give the VO a chance to read it and possibly make your interview more eaiser....... again possibly...

Hi,

After reading a thread from visajorney.com, I think you are right for this one. I could just get notarization for free at work but I have changed my mind again and I will have it notarized at ACS. We have a notary at work and it's all free service. Also many banks will give free services.

Here is the thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=210581

This is the cut and paste from the thread:

"I'll tell you my personal experience. There was no ACH the week of my wife's (then fiancee) interview so I went to ACS for the purpose of having an Evolution of Relationship letter notarized for my wife to take with her in case she was asked. I handed it in at one window and was sent off to pay for the service then came back and waited a bit after handing in my receipt. I was called up to the window and had a very good talk with a VO. He brought up my wife's file on his computer and was kind enough to look through the letter. He noted some areas that they sometimes have questions about and I was able to give him further info relating to those questions while he typed into my wife's file. At the end he told me everything looked good."

Now, anything is possible but if you have the chance even it's a slight chance to improve the success rate of getting you the visa, will you do it?

I will do it just in case even I have to pay $30US to get the letter notarized in ACS.

This is powerful information. I saw one thread here in candle love that the one who did the notarization for him was not the VO and the lady also said VO won't do the notarization at all.

This is conflicting information. IMHO, anything is possible. You just have to judge from all the information what you read and decide what's best for you.

Steve & Mei

Attending the ACH is the best time to ask question in regards to your case file and the pending interview, show them what you have, they may or may not tell you that your missing something in your documents, and if there satisfied they may say everything looks good.

As for the EOR, simply this single most important document of a Continuous recording of an on-going relationship. What was submitted with your petition was and is only a fraction of what was contained in your EOR at interview time. Remember this, once your petition is approval with USCIS using this fraction of information, now you have to convince DOS with a stronger version of your relationship.