What to take with me

I'm leaving for Chengdu on the 14th of May, returning on the 25th.

OK, so far my list of must-haves gleaned from reading the archives includes:

-- modest gift for the young lady

-- American style TP

-- baby wipes (cleanliness is next to godliness)

-- raincoats for Mr. Happy

-- my travel laptop (with skype and headset)

-- iPod

-- digicam

-- eyemask, neck cushion, Ambien & alky for sleeping on the plane

-- passport w/ Chinese tourist visa

I'm hoping to get away with a 22" carryon to unpack at the hotel and a messenger bag for gear I will use on the plane.

Also,what is the deal with hotel laundries in China ... do they understand the difference between normal wash and gentle wash, etc?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few suggestions,

1. imodium/or favorite equal

2. favorite laxative

3. asprin/or favorite headache remedy

4. tums/ favorite heartrburn medicine

5. if you like an occasional drink, the beer is very good, but US liquor, is very expensive and hard to find, so pick up your favorite at the duty free shop in the airport, ice is also very hard to find.

Good Luck, have the time of your life, Mike & Yizhen

When I got to China the first time, I got constipated, I asked my wife to help me, and between her and the pharmacist, they assumed I had diahrea, because many visitors get it from the water, so I got worse! Luckily, my mother-in-law figured it out, she ran out the door and got me the right medicine, and the rest of the trip was perfect.

By the way, I got an adaptor for free when I purchased 2 bottles of alcohol. Also 10% discount for 1 bottle, and 15% for 2, I have 2 liters for 51 days

Edited by mikepellicore (see edit history)

Make sure you take crisp new $100 dollar bills if you are going to trade for Yuan. If they are not in good shape many banks will not accept.

I put my money in a pouch worn around my neck for safety while travelling. You can buy this just about anywhere. I think I got mine at K-Mart.

If you are staying in a fairly nice hotel they will provide good toilet paper. And good laundry service too.

Make sure you get foot massage at least every other day.....very cheap and feel great!!!

Don't forget the electrical adapter....

-- American style TP

-- iPod

-- digicam

I'm hoping to get away with a 22" carryon to unpack at the hotel and a messenger bag for gear I will use on the plane.

Also,what is the deal with hotel laundries in China ... do they understand the difference between normal wash and gentle wash, etc?

If thinking about K-1.

Bring, An I-129F filled out to have her look over for correctness, A filled out G-325A with her info (All 4 Pages) which can be corrected and signed as needed as well as a blank one. A fiancee letter of intent.

A camera to take plenty of pictures together as well as pictures of you with her family.

It is recommended to get vaccinated for HEP A

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationChina.aspx

More: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1089.html

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD (I-129F and G-325A)

-- American style TP

-- iPod

-- digicam

If you want to get by on one carryon, www.onebag.com is an invaluable resource. I use their packing technique and packing list.

At www.cdc.gov you can print out a guide that is very complete as to what OTC and Rx meds you may wish to have with you. Talk to your doc about getting the Rx's.

Have fun and good luck.

Joe

I have a few suggestions,

1. imodium/or favorite equal

2. favorite laxative

3. asprin/or favorite headache remedy

4. tums/ favorite heartrburn medicine

5. if you like an occasional drink, the beer is very good, but US liquor, is very expensive and hard to find, so pick up your favorite at the duty free shop in the airport, ice is also very hard to find.

Good Luck, have the time of your life, Mike & Yizhen

Check, anti-diarrheal, laxative, ibuprofen and acid reducer. Not a big drinker, so a glass of wine at night will do. Gotta figure out what to do about nitrates though.

Make sure you take crisp new $100 dollar bills if you are going to trade for Yuan. If they are not in good shape many banks will not accept.

I put my money in a pouch worn around my neck for safety while travelling. You can buy this just about anywhere. I think I got mine at K-Mart.

If you are staying in a fairly nice hotel they will provide good toilet paper. And good laundry service too.

Make sure you get foot massage at least every other day.....very cheap and feel great!!!

Don't forget the electrical adapter....

Electrical adapter and extension cord, great idea.

If thinking about K-1.

Bring, An I-129F filled out to have her look over for correctness, A filled out G-325A with her info (All 4 Pages) which can be corrected and signed as needed as well as a blank one. A fiancee letter of intent.

A camera to take plenty of pictures together as well as pictures of you with her family.

It is recommended to get vaccinated for HEP A

Digicam is in the kit already.

I'm thinking K-3, and I will be taking several trips over the next year if this thing works out.

Any other immunizations? My little brother had Hep-C, and that was no picnic. He spent a year taking something that knocked him flat on his back every time he took it.

Digicam is in the kit already.

I'm thinking K-3, and I will be taking several trips over the next year if this thing works out.

Any other immunizations? My little brother had Hep-C, and that was no picnic. He spent a year taking something that knocked him flat on his back every time he took it.

Nope, just Hep A, unless you plan on encountering blood, as in a medical situation, then HEP B

I know this'll sound a little anal ;) but I'll have to sightly disagree on the hotels having good TP. Good is definately relative. We stayed at the Ramada in Shanghai and the TP was not what I would consider "good." But then I'm pretty "anal" about using Charmin. I was sure glad I brought my own. As Gordon suggests, your hotel may have perfectly fine TP. Depending on how particular you are about this sensitive "area" :D the question is...Do I feel lucky? :P

BTW, are you meeting the family? If so, many of us took modest gifts for them as well. Up to you.

Have a great time. B)

I know this'll sound a little anal ;) but I'll have to sightly disagree on the hotels having good TP. Good is definately relative. We stayed at the Ramada in Shanghai and the TP was not what I would consider "good." But then I'm pretty "anal" about using Charmin. I was sure glad I brought my own. As Gordon suggests, your hotel may have perfectly fine TP. Depending on how particular you are about this sensitive "area" :D the question is...Do I feel lucky? :lol:

BTW, are you meeting the family? If so, many of us took modest gifts for them as well. Up to you.

Have a great time. :)

This isn't about being anal-retentive, is it?

I have it covered with one or two dozen paper towels (for emergencies) folded in a pile in my camera bag.

Also take a little bottle of hand sanitizer. It's good stuff.

from my 5 trips to china in the last few years i would say the TP is not an issue as you can go out to the store and buy some if you need it i have been several areas in china and it may not be charmin but it is not sand paper neither....also i take little travel packs of tissue for when i am out and about with my girl there simply cause the fit in a pocket are in a sealed package and 99.999995% of bathrooms there have no paper at all....Take lots of pictures and some gifts for the family but not too extravagant i took my future inlaws a bottle of wine although it would have to be in checked luggage if you plan that. Most of all enjoy your trip i wish i was back there right now ...

The list above is good...don't forget to pack an open mind and a humble heart...those two things will get you farther than anything else...

Hope to see you there!

Great advice. Also go light on the clothes (you can buy new clothes cheaply in China) and bring as many small gifts as you can carry as you will meet many people and they will come in handy. You can never bring enough small things to give to others including your girl.

Maybe I am reading too much into your comment about raincoats for Mr. Happy but remember you are there for her, not for some sort of sex tour.

A humble attitude, a pure heart, a generous spirit with many gifts for all and only good intentions will go a long way in winning your girls heart and winning over her family. Good Luck!

There is some good cooking in Chengdu, but it could be a little spicy for you. So taking Tums is good advice. I have done a lot of traveling so for a long time I have packed a laxative and Imodium to cover all bases. Banks and casa de cambios around the world look at US money very closely...no marks, rips or to worn out...get some $100 bills that are pristine. There is an area of Chengdu they call Computer City where you can buy all of the components there are for rock bottom prices...and anything that can be copied to disc is sold. Have fun in the big city! ZZ