What to take with me

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always, I'm a little late to the party. The other posters have given some good advice. My only addition is get one of those stupid wrap around neck pillows for the airline trip. Priceless on an international flight. Ya', you'll look like a dork in the airport, but it's a LONG flight. Being comfortable surpasses being cool. LOL.

As for the "raincoats" I will advise caution as well. If your lady is a traditional Chinese woman, you won't need them unless you are planning a wedding. On my first visit, the family would not allow us to be together past 7pm and chaperoned us till then. My second visit we had a wedding and things were a little different.

Just a heads up. If you expect sex on the first visit, you are sadly mistaken. If it does happen, then you need to inspect her values and character carefully.

My first visit to China was amazing, and I hope you have the same experience. Great stuff, and an experience I will never forget.

Matt

As always, I'm a little late to the party. The other posters have given some good advice. My only addition is get one of those stupid wrap around neck pillows for the airline trip. Priceless on an international flight. Ya', you'll look like a dork in the airport, but it's a LONG flight. Being comfortable surpasses being cool. LOL.

As for the "raincoats" I will advise caution as well. If your lady is a traditional Chinese woman, you won't need them unless you are planning a wedding. On my first visit, the family would not allow us to be together past 7pm and chaperoned us till then. My second visit we had a wedding and things were a little different.

Just a heads up. If you expect sex on the first visit, you are sadly mistaken. If it does happen, then you need to inspect her values and character carefully.

My first visit to China was amazing, and I hope you have the same experience. Great stuff, and an experience I will never forget.

Matt

I dissagree Matt. It depends a lot on how long you have known each other and other things. I would hazzard a guess that the vast majority of us tasted the forbiden fruit on our first visit to meet our sweeties. A lot of it may have to do with her age group and whether or not she's been married before.

Matt

I dissagree Matt. It depends a lot on how long you have known each other and other things. I would hazzard a guess that the vast majority of us tasted the forbiden fruit on our first visit to meet our sweeties. A lot of it may have to do with her age group and whether or not she's been married before.

It's the old, "If she'll have sex with you, she'll have sex with anyone" trip

Matt

It's the old, "If she'll have sex with you, she'll have sex with anyone" trip

That mindset is common all across Latin America. Probably all over the world except for most of Europe. In my experience, it's a mindf--k that men lay on women to control and commodify them.

As far as I am concerned, the young lady is in charge of deciding what she is up for. She's not a little girl anymore, and her family is hundreds of kilometers away. I'm just going to be a Boy Scout about it, and Be Prepared, because she ought to have a good time whatever she wants to do.

OK, having taken all of y'alls input and digested it, here's what I've come up with for my travel.

neck pouch:

-- passport w/ Chinese tourist visa

-- boarding passes/reservations

-- money/credit cards/ID

22" carryon:

-- 1 pair canvas pants

-- 1 pair chinos

-- 2 long sleeved shirts

-- 2 short sleeved shirts

-- belt

-- tie

-- 4 pair undershorts

-- 4 pair Coolmax/X-static socks

-- trail runner shoes

-- dance shoes

-- bathroom kit

messenger bag:

-- ziplock baggie

-- sleeping kit

-- modest gift for the young lady

-- computer gear

-- photo gear

-- iPod

-- electrical adapter

-- 2 ink pens

-- a few dozen paper napkins

-- baby wipes

-- 2 or 3 new books

-- extra change of underwear & socks

-- extra toothbrush

bathroom kit:

-- american style TP

-- antidiarrheal

-- laxative

-- ibuprofen

-- ranitidine

-- ambien

-- razor

-- comb

-- antiperspirant

-- dental floss

-- toothbrush

ziplock baggie:

-- hand sanitizer

-- toothpaste

-- shampoo

-- hair gel

-- deodorant body wash

-- facial wash

-- shave gel

-- antifungal cream

-- hydrocortisone

-- antibiotic cream

-- sunblock

sleeping kit:

-- neck pillow

-- eyemask

-- ambien

-- 3 oz Bacardi 150 proof rum

computer gear:

-- laptop

-- headset

-- mouse

-- power brick

-- Ethernet cable

-- sound cables

photo gear:

-- digicam

-- UV, CPL and IR filters

-- extra SD cards

-- charger & spare battery

clothes to wear on the flight:

-- hoodie

-- short sleeved shirt

-- cargo pants with drawstring

-- slip on shoes

Before I go:

-- get vaccinated for HEP A

I have a nice deal in that I can park at my office and take a bus to the airport, so I will leave my cell phone and car keys in my desk.

OK, having taken all of y'alls input and digested it, here's what I've come up with for my travel.

neck pouch:

-- money/credit cards/ID

22" carryon:

-- 1 pair canvas pants

-- 1 pair chinos

-- 2 long sleeved shirts

-- belt

-- tie

-- 4 pair undershorts

-- trail runner shoes

-- dance shoes

-- bathroom kit

messenger bag:

-- ziplock baggie

-- sleeping kit

-- computer gear

-- photo gear

-- iPod

-- electrical adapter

-- 2 ink pens

-- baby wipes

-- 2 or 3 new books

-- extra toothbrush

bathroom kit:

-- american style TP

-- antidiarrheal

-- laxative

-- ibuprofen

-- ranitidine

-- ambien

-- razor

-- comb

-- antiperspirant

-- dental floss

-- toothbrush

ziplock baggie:

-- hand sanitizer

-- toothpaste

-- shampoo

-- hair gel

-- deodorant body wash

-- facial wash

-- shave gel

-- antifungal cream

-- hydrocortisone

-- antibiotic cream

-- sunblock

sleeping kit:

-- neck pillow

-- eyemask

-- ambien

computer gear:

-- laptop

-- headset

-- mouse

-- power brick

-- Ethernet cable

-- sound cables

photo gear:

-- digicam

-- extra SD cards

-- hoodie

-- short sleeved shirt

-- slip on shoes

Before I go:

I have a nice deal in that I can park at my office and take a bus to the airport, so I will leave my cell phone and car keys in my desk.

Depending on who your cell phone carrier is you may want to take it. One of my biggest fears in China is being seperated from my wife and not being able to find her in the crowd. I unlocked both of our phones before we left and since the wife went ahead of me she picked up GDMA pre paid sim cards for us. I know T-mobile and ATT phones work in China.

Depending on who your cell phone carrier is you may want to take it. One of my biggest fears in China is being seperated from my wife and not being able to find her in the crowd. I unlocked both of our phones before we left and since the wife went ahead of me she picked up GDMA pre paid sim cards for us. I know T-mobile and ATT phones work in China.

Sprint. I have a special deal though my employer. $17.60 a month gets me 450 regular minutes, unlimited nights and weekend minutes and unlimited messaging. No SIM card on this thing, but it's the only company with a decent signal where I live.

OTOH, the young lady I am going to meet is going to loan me her old phone. I do have an old AT&T phone I could bring along, but it had crap reception.

Christopher

Take a good sense of humor and be ready to laugh at yourself and the situations you may find yourself in ...

Your very prepared .. more than I was for my first work assignment to China. My own personal viewpoint:

a. don't try to hard to bring all the comforts of your home with you but embrace the Chinese lifestyle and way of living.

b. you really don't have enough rum

Have a great time!!!!!!! If you decide to visit the east coast and get to Qingdao Shandong send me a PM.

neck pouch:

-- money/credit cards/ID

22" carryon:

-- 1 pair canvas pants

-- 1 pair chinos

-- 2 long sleeved shirts

-- belt

-- tie

-- 4 pair undershorts

-- trail runner shoes

-- dance shoes

-- bathroom kit

messenger bag:

-- ziplock baggie

-- sleeping kit

-- computer gear

-- photo gear

-- iPod

-- electrical adapter

-- 2 ink pens

-- baby wipes

-- 2 or 3 new books

-- extra toothbrush

bathroom kit:

-- american style TP

-- antidiarrheal

-- laxative

-- ibuprofen

-- ranitidine

-- ambien

-- razor

-- comb

-- antiperspirant

-- dental floss

-- toothbrush

ziplock baggie:

-- hand sanitizer

-- toothpaste

-- shampoo

-- hair gel

-- deodorant body wash

-- facial wash

-- shave gel

-- antifungal cream

-- hydrocortisone

-- antibiotic cream

-- sunblock

sleeping kit:

-- neck pillow

-- eyemask

-- ambien

computer gear:

-- laptop

-- headset

-- mouse

-- power brick

-- Ethernet cable

-- sound cables

photo gear:

-- digicam

-- extra SD cards

-- hoodie

-- short sleeved shirt

-- slip on shoes

Before I go:

Not to put too much spin on this....but I've seen less planning in moving a 1000 person military unit to a foreign location....only slightly teasing...but the only thing I think is really important is the CELL phone. Depending on your carrier and your phone, it might work just like it works in the US. Specifically, Verizon and most ATT phones work without issue! If you don't have a triple or quad band it may not work in HK.

I just lived in China almost 2 years...and I don't see anything on your list that you couldn't buy in China, minus the American Style TP, whatever that is!

Have a good trip....China is just different real estate...it is not a different planet! Relax....enjoy!

Christopher, Just a suggestion. Take enough clothes for two days. Take all your electronics and stuff like that. Buy whatever else you need when you are there and then just leave it with her. Your hotel will have TP. Just stuff a wad in your pocket when you leave the room every day.

Your hotel is 20 minutes from the airport. I imagine you will go straight to your hotel first thing to get checked in and settled since you will be arriving about 9:45pm(?)

I used to cart all that stuff around, too. Now, it is tickets, passport, camera, pocket translator, cell phone, two days of clothes, razor, shaving cream, tooth brush, toothpaste, deodorant (so I can clean up on the plane before meeting her)....all of this fits in one carry-on. Everything else I buy there. For this trip, it's already there waiting for me.

Bonus for doing it this way...

No waiting at the baggage claim.

More time to spend in the bar during layovers.

Easier to get through customs.

You get to see her quicker when you arrive.

Also, you will lose one of your T-shirts by leaving it there with her. It will now become her nightshirt so she can curl up with you every night, even though you aren't there.

My hotel is about ten minute walk from yours. Sending PM with my gals phone number...Call when you have time and we'll get together...

I just lived in China almost 2 years...and I don't see anything on your list that you couldn't buy in China, minus the American Style TP, whatever that is!

Have a good trip....China is just different real estate...it is not a different planet! Relax....enjoy!

Very well said Mike. I agree except for the antiacids and pain killers. I never drink the water unless it has been boiled.again as mike said, Relax, enjoy!!

Except for the great expense and long travel, I kinda of miss going this year. I went 5 times in the last five years, so it is time to take a break I think. See America :D

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

i would check what kind of toilets they have in the hotel, sit or squat. most modern hotels have sit toilet but it never hurt to ask before reserving a room. i learned the hard way on my first trip to china. the hotel had a squat toilet and i checked out the next day to a sit toilet. :ph34r:

As far as I am concerned, the young lady is in charge of deciding what she is up for. She's not a little girl anymore, and her family is hundreds of kilometers away. I'm just going to be a Boy Scout about it, and Be Prepared, because she ought to have a good time whatever she wants to do.

this sounds like a decent way to approach the situation, with one caveat: the decision shouldn't be completely up to her, as the seriousness of your own feelings toward her and your intentions for the future should also determine what you're willing to do (and, depending on the situation you may be walking into with a young lovestruck chinese woman, what you're willing to let her do with you). many of the chinese women i know are VERY willing to express their love for their man even before marriage. unfortunately, though, i've heard of a few cases where the american guy thought he would be in it for the long run, but then his plans changed.

your intentions seem to be in the right place. but to play off of your metaphor: don't think like a boyscout (i.e., "i'll do it as long as she wants to"). be a gentleman, err on the side of caution and romance. if you do, she'll want you even more.

i would check what kind of toilets they have in the hotel, sit or squat. most modern hotels have sit toilet but it never hurt to ask before reserving a room. i learned the hard way on my first trip to china. the hotel had a squat toilet and i checked out the next day to a sit toilet. :lol:

Good point... ask for a Western Toilet.... I have been in a nice hotel only to have to change rooms, because these knees don't.... well you know :ph34r: