What to take with me

Just some notes from my experiences ---

- Some hotels will give you bottled water every day --- I typically used that when brushing my teeth. (BTW: some hotels even provide new toothbrush and toothpase every day!)

- I usually get a z-pack from my doctor. 3 out of my 5 trips I've had to use them (of course, maybe my situation is different, because I was working in some steel mills, where the air quality is perhaps a little worse).

- I don't take them with me, but I would usually buy an iron and small ironing board in China. Typically hotels don't have them, and if you hand wash your clothes, it can help with the wrinkles.

- Power Adapters (which can be readily bought in China). Some hotels have these "all in one" power stips, where you can plug in US plugs which are rated for 220/240 V.

- Used my ATM typically at Bank of China.

- If you are going to take a shot of rum to help you sleep, you might have to buy it on the plane, or perhaps duty free. I'm not sure the TSA will let that through.

- Just something I liked to do, is bring some $2.00 bills or some $1.00 coins. I enjoyed giving them away to people I worked with, and occasionally sometimes children would come up to me, and I would give them some. A word of caution on this, as sometimes I would give money to beggars (I could tell you a story of a woman and child I saw that who were paper thin), and this was a source of disagreement between me and my wife.

All excellent suggestions.

I am going to put the 150 proof rum in a small 3 oz container and put it in the ziplock baggie with the other liquids. I think it will be fine.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic