Yes it works and they really do reply. You will not however be satisfied with the outcome most likely. You will not get any info out of them that isn't in any letter they send later. Nothing case specific like your case is scheduled for next tuesday. More like the applicant will be notified by mail when the case is scheduled. There was a way to pay into an account and get a phone number to call them, but I never went that route. Someone will add/correct me about this.

The email system worked for us fine, send an email and get an answer a few days later.

If your case in in the 3 month holding period after NVC sends it to GUZ dont bother, they will say they have not received it yet.

In our case I knew about the 3 month hold, so simply waited the 3 months and then contacted DOS Visa services about the case status.

Once I knew GUZ sent P3, and my Yu had returned the packet, only then did I check for status by email.

Email: http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzhou/iv/email.html

DOS Visa Services: http://travel.state.gov/about/info/info_308.html#visa (202-663-1225)

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

lvlp,

Yes, we contacted GUZ via email and phone (we had to buy a card online so we could call them) but the result was the same - your package wasn't cleared the custom yet. The email response was fairly quick - saying it could be 6 months from the date NVC sent the package.

My question is GUZ already had the electronic files from NVC since the date they sent the actual packages. Why can't GUZ do anything about it?? They know what cases were in those packages. We can't just simply blame chinese custom, right? My understanding is GUZ needs to get custom clearance permit (?) from Chinese government in order for the custom to release the packages to DHL China to deliver.

Whose fault is it????????

Jlock

lvlp,

Yes, we contacted GUZ via email and phone (we had to buy a card online so we could call them) but the result was the same - your package wasn't cleared the custom yet. The email response was fairly quick - saying it could be 6 months from the date NVC sent the package.

My question is GUZ already had the electronic files from NVC since the date they sent the actual packages. Why can't GUZ do anything about it?? They know what cases were in those packages. We can't just simply blame chinese custom, right? My understanding is GUZ needs to get custom clearance permit (?) from Chinese government in order for the custom to release the packages to DHL China to deliver.

Whose fault is it????????

Jlock

Note: The phone service is a contractor that has access to the same information that DOS visa services in the USA.

The package clears customs fairly quickly, GUZ then places the cases in cold storage until they are ready to process the case, they do start up name checks shortly after receiving the electronic file, but that is about all they do.

Keep in mind, GUZ is the only immigrations consulate in a country with nearly 1/5 the earth's population, they can handle only a set number of cases at a time. ALL other consulates around the world do not have the same level of cases as GUZ so they tend to process much quicker than GUZ.

Then,what's the bottom line?

If they are not working on it you might get a reply that says "we are not working on it. Please be patient"

If they are working on it you might get a reply "we are working on it. Please be patient."

It would be an interesting poll to compare how many people contacted them and, as in both are required, got a useful reply. As with all things CFL some will say 'yes, sure.' Others will say 'maybe.' Others will say 'heck, no!' and the rest- about 80% won't answer.

I thought, as it sounds like Dan suggested- Call DOS once in a while, they have the same info and you might talk to a real, and really helpful person.

Note to dnoblett,

We understand GZ is the only consulate processing the immigrate cases. But there are people who have the packages sent out by NVC to GUZ in late December, 08 got interview dates with GUZ. Many packages sent in Nov, Dec or even Jan 09 got cleared through custom (We found these information from another visa forum posted by the applicants). Our case was sent in late Oct, 08 so it is way beyong 3 months holding period. We have the tracking number from DHL but it shows on DHL website the package is delayed by custom clearance and not delivered. We want to know the logic behind this.

Jlock

having emailed guz several times during our visa quest, i have found that you will be served almost identical answers if you just go to your nearest novelty store and purchase a bit of nostalgia known as the "8 Ball"....ask it a question and then turn it over and read the response in the window.....you will get every bit as much satisfaction by doing this as you would emailing guz....in fact, i am sure guz has this item with only slightly different answers and use it almost exclusivlely for all email questions

I have gotten the same lame answer to every question I have sent for the last 2 months! The questions were different, but the were all returned to a Ms. John. I think the emails are also answered by the contractor, and they must get paid by how many they intercept and answer, regardless of where they should be forwarded to, or what the correct answer is. Mike & Yizhen

I sent my email at 12:09AM EST March 3rd, and they replied just a little while ago 2:05AM March 4th,when I was reading this posting here. I think they are just very busy. I was very clear in my email I wanted to verify that the mailing address was correct in their system. :blink:

Dear Mr. / Ms.

Thank you for your inquiry!

We have received notice that the NVC is sending the case file to the Consulate. We have not yet received the case file. At this time, you and your fiancee need do nothing further. Shipments of case files mailed from the NVC can take several months to arrive in China and clear Chinese customs. Please be assured that we will notify your fiancee once we receive his/her case file.

As to the address, the one your provided below is the same as the one in our system.

To respond to this email, use only the web form at www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzhou/iv/email.html. E-mails sent via "reply" will not be received.

Sincerely,

Immigrant Visa Unit

U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou

1 Shamian South Street

Guangzhou, Guangdong 510133

PRC

Fax: 86-20-38844412

Edited by FranknStephanie (see edit history)

fax is the way to go :)

You are so right. I bought a phone card, the typical answer is "you have to wait for Guangzhou". The call center is in Shanghai. The first time I tried to use the web page for email, they replied they couldn't tell who I was based on the email address. So I submitted a request using my work email address. No response. Monday afternoon for me I sent a fax, and requested they email me and/or send mail to my sweetie. I had an email response at 12:48 AM Tuesday my time (just before 5 PM China time), and Mingjun told me tonight that they called her on the phone and gave her the same information. The fax was definitely the best method (not sure why they never responded to Mingjun's fax back in January :( )

Edited by Craig and Mingjun (see edit history)