Bringing stuff into the US

My fiancee has a bamboo scroll that she would like to give to my parents as a gift...but she is worried about US Customs taking it when we go through Customs at O'Hare. I told her I think it'll be fine, I really don't see a problem with it. But for her peace of mind I told her I'd check on it.

I also started to second guess myself a little because on my first trip to China going back through US Customs some dude got his terracotta warriors taken because they were made of Xi'an mud. It seemed so trivial... So I don't know, is a bamboo scroll considered plant contraband?

My fiancee has a bamboo scroll that she would like to give to my parents as a gift...but she is worried about US Customs taking it when we go through Customs at O'Hare. I told her I think it'll be fine, I really don't see a problem with it. But for her peace of mind I told her I'd check on it.

I also started to second guess myself a little because on my first trip to China going back through US Customs some dude got his terracotta warriors taken because they were made of Xi'an mud. It seemed so trivial... So I don't know, is a bamboo scroll considered plant contraband?

I brought 10 back myself from six trips, wife dang near brought her whole house back at poe. Never had a problem. The only item may have been a problem was cds. Jing had 4 more bamboo scrolls at poe didnt have a problem. I had the same warriors I think. Got them at the Xi'an site also. Had no problem. Dang things got busted up on the flight though.

Zack,

Not in the least is the scroll contraband. I have been through Chicago at least four times and LAX three times.

The only time you really run into problems is bringing fresh produce, meats, extreme antiquities (and these are caught in China!), etc into the US. Your scroll may get a passing glance if you are lucky. Customs agents might question you in regard to Chinese dried medicinal drugs and teas. The drugs I never carry, since I can get them here in San Diego and isn't worth the hassle. For the teas, simply showed the agents a vacuum sealed bag and they will wave you on. BTW, no plants, seeds or fruit is allowed. They have little cute beagles that walk around looking for foodstuffs of every nature. My wife arrived and a cute little dog (her terminology) stopped and alerted on her hand carried bag for one orange, she brought to eat on the flight. Customs Officer gave her the mandatory ass-chewing, threatened her with a fine, relinquished the fine and was satisfied after the orange was disposed of with a verbal warning.

The largest problem I have ever had was when Chinese customs stopped me once and wanted to see the same item you mentioned, that my uncle painted for my wife to take to the US. The spent most of their time ooowing and ahhhing, are you married to a Chinese woman?, etc, etc.

I have never had a problem with US customs, with the items I mentioned above.

Dave

Watching that video of the cartoon doggie will explain it all while the plane is making it's approach. Every time I came through customs was a breeze and even had some dried plums and moon cakes with us at one time. No problems!

Yeah! Right until the time that a dog nails you with the goodies with his nose! That is when the party starts! No one is guilty of DUI either until the cops pull you over.

However, we are all men. What others choose to do, is their business and not mine.

However, as a side point my wife asked the question what was the big deal. Darling, what about a large hefty fine? That shut her up quick!

BTW, no flame intended. Members have the choice for themselves!

Dave

Edited by Cerberus (see edit history)

Esun,

Nope not implying anything in the least. This is everyone's individual choice, You have yours, others have their choices and I have mine.

I know this has been discussed before and that is exactly why Zack was double checking. A very prudent course of action, IMHO

Here is a re-post of travelers to and from China and importation. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation...tsandVegetables

BTW all; many Chinese medicines have mushrooms in some of them. You will find fungi (mushrooms) under biological sub-segment.

Esun, just for clarity, individual baked goods are allowed up to certain restrictions. I have never carried them before, so you know more about this area than I do.

I should mention that the place my wife was stopped with the orange was in Chicago's O'Hare International airport. This should be on interest to Zack, being that he hails from Illinois.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hey as for the scrolls i have had good luck....and i have been to xi`an and have had one of those soldiers given to my family it was made of the mud we didnt take it home cause it smelled so bad...lol .... so that may have been for good reason it really shouldnt be a problem just pack them in the middle of your abgs and wrap them in shirts for "protection" from travel ....the last few times i have come into the US at lax they didnt even run the bags through xrays just grabbed them and went no check ....i thought this to be a bit strange but not about to argue about it lol....Just pack them really good to avoid damages either way....good luck with that....

yeah dont try to bring home dvds anymore either there is a really nice fine per dvd i think it is like $2000+ per movie because the customs viewsthem all as illegal copies and was cracking down on thatlasrt year and i know the low price is tempting like $2 per movie...and new movies at that but the risk isnt worth it to me....

Edited by areynolds (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

yeah dont try to bring home dvds anymore either there is a really nice fine per dvd i think it is like $2000+ per movie because the customs viewsthem all as illegal copies and was cracking down on thatlasrt year and i know the low price is tempting like $2 per movie...and new movies at that but the risk isnt worth it to me....

I've been wondering about this since my wife is headed over very soon and I know she would like to stock up at those street corner DVD "stores" :unsure: In the past we brought back tons of ummmmm questionable parentage DVDs but it seems it is definitely not going to fly anymore...

Other than DVDs here is a quote from Dave's reference..It appears that you are allowed one article of each type bearing a counterfeit, confusingly similar or gray market trademark... :blink: So she can still go shopping in Hong Kong... :D

Trademarked and Copyrighted Articles

CBP enforces laws relating to the protection of trademarks and copyrights. Articles that infringe a federally registered trademark or copyright or copyright protected by the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works are subject to detention and/or seizure. Infringing articles may consist of articles that use a protected right without the authorization of the trademark or copyright owner or articles that copy or simulate a protected right.

Articles bearing marks that are counterfeit or inappropriately using a federally registered trademark are subject to seizure and forfeiture.The importation of articles intended for sale or public distribution bearing counterfeit marks may subject an individual to a civil fine if the registered trademark has also been recorded with CBP. Articles bearing marks that are confusingly similar to a CBP recorded registered trademark , and restricted gray market articles (goods bearing genuine marks not intended for U.S. importation for which CBP granted gray market protection) are subject to detention and seizure.

However, travelers arriving in the United States may be permitted an exemption and allowed to import one article of each type, which must accompany the person, bearing a counterfeit, confusingly similar or restricted gray market trademark, provided that the article is for personal use and is not for sale.

This exemption may be granted not more than once every 30 days. The arriving passenger may retain one article of each type accompanying the person. For example, an arriving person who has three purses, whether each bears a different infringing trademark, or whether all three bear the same infringing trademark, is permitted only one purse. If the article imported under the personal exemption provision is sold within one year after the date of importation, the article or its value is subject to forfeiture.

In regard to copyright infringement, articles that are determined by CBP to be clearly piratical of a protected copyright, i.e., unauthorized articles that are substantially similar to a material protected by a copyright, are subject to seizure. A personal use exemption for articles, similar to that described above also applies to copyrighted articles for the personal, non-commercial use of the importer and are not for sale or distribution.

You may bring back genuine trademarked and copyrighted articles (subject to duties). Products subject to copyright protection most commonly imported include software on CD-ROMs, sound recordings, toys, stuffed animals, clothing with cartoon characters, videotapes, DVDs, music CDs, and books. Products subject to trademark protection most commonly imported include handbags and accessories, and clothing.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation...tsandVegetables

Don't worry about anything. After more than a dozen trips to China and back, I have never encountered any problems (other than over weight limits for luggage by the airlines [we put all our luggage in one bag because my wife was preggers. No deal says United. Go figure]) Bringing home your own personal DVD movies or CDs from China in a travel case should not be a problem either. Just throw away the packaging and you should be fine. We've even brought through fruits and vegetables from China without problems.