Is China and India to blame for the energy crisis and global warming?

What if?

Just two of my cents...

IMO the jury IS in on global warming and people ARE the cause of it this time around. Has the earth gone through other "natural" cycles of heating and cooling? Yes. But this time it's us folks. The levels of CO2 we've pumped into the atmosphere and the rate that warming is occuring make it clear to all but the die-hard deniers that we're doing it to ourselves here,in China,in India and everywhere else there are human beings. There isn't really a serious debate about that except from a few crackpot denial scientists and the Inhofes of the world. Might as well get over that part of the equation.

People like to argue around what may be the only real solution IMHO, a solution that in all probability will be forced on us whether we want it or not. It's a pretty simple solution really. And it won't come from any nation,developing or not. It won't come from some blue-ribbon panel convened to solve the problem. Nor from a Nobel Prize-winning scientist.

It will come from good old Mother Nature. And her solution for the people on the planet will be less people on the planet. Unlike the "lesser" animals, so far we human beings have shown a great reluctance or inability to self-manage our population to levels that would allow us to co-exist with available resources. Eventually, Mother Nature will do it for us.

To it's credit, China's been the one country to recognize and act on the need to limit population in any appreciable way. Instead of recognizing that policy for what it is, most groups,usually influenced by one type of religious dogma or another, scoff at China and deride them for being godless heathens intent on reversing the obvious intent of their particular deity.

That mindset has played no small role in getting us to the point we're at today. A planet overpopulated by fossil fuel-guzzlling humans with an infinite appetite for finite resources.

If I'm right, and I hope I'm not, IMO the only question remaining is which path it is we take that leads to the demise, or near demise, of humans and maybe our animal friends as well. Do we continue to procreate our way out of planet and home by devouring the resources remaining, thus slowly dying off through starvation and/or war? This path may allow for a few to come to their senses long enough to save themselves and allow the planet to heal itself without the total annihilation of our species. Maybe.

Or do we end up burning those resources at the rate we have been, thus leading to the planet shriveling up into a Mars-like dusty sphere incapable of sustaining man or animal? Neither path is particularly appealing.

Some scientists and well-meaning folks like Al Gore think we still have time to do something,that we haven't reached the tipping point. I sure hope they're right. I'd also bet that most,if not all, of the ones who think we've already tipped wouldn't say it out loud.

Or I could be wrong.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. :angry:

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that can be done fairly quickly and have a HUGE impact would be for congress to ban private vehicle ownership. Since the US is the leader of the world, surely other countries would soon follow suit.

Then we can start tackling that pesky problem of producing electricity.

Don, you fell out of your rocking chair again didn't you?

One thing that can be done fairly quickly and have a HUGE impact would be for congress to ban private vehicle ownership. Since the US is the leader of the world, surely other countries would soon follow suit.

How about 1 car per family.

How about 1 car per family.

With an exception of course for families in the countryside who have kids that need to drive to school/work after chores. :lol:

I think its all of the Americans who are driving tanks and dinosaur gas guzzlers causing the problem, I have notice a big difference since the price of gas has elevated, less vehicles on the roadways, more quiet, before people just seem to be in their vehicles driving for no reason what so ever, I would like to see it continue to go up if that is what it will take to get people out of their vehicles, look for alternatives and smaller fuel efficent vehicles.

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)

EPA report on U.S. Greenhouse Gas Emissions:

2006 = U.S. emitted 6 billion metric tons of GHG.

1990 - 2006 Total GHG emissions by the U.S. increased by 14.1%.

Not all bad news as from 2005 - 2006 there was an actual decrease of 1.5% in GHG. Reason for the decline given as switching some coal fired power plants to natural gas.

Message to the politicians "Its the coal stupid."

This thread has gotten funnier each day. No private auto ownership. :D

Where I grew up there were kid who had 1.5 hour bus rides each way just to go to school. It was called farm country.

My mother grew up in a cabin that just got city electric in the last 15 years. What a cell phone forget it. It is call the rocky mountains.

The comment only one car per family, except for folks in the country. I can already see the discussion on CSPAN on what is country? Any place that is more than a 5 minute walk from the nearest public transportation stop? Maybe 10 minutes?

The next exception would be, "Doctors need second car for emergencies." Lawyers would have to be allowed a second car because they make the laws. Public workers also since they are required to keep the city, state and government running.

By the time it was done with the supreme court weighing in, it would BE REQUIRED that all families have at least one car per member of the family of working age.

In other words right were we are now. :surprise:

God I love our country.... :blink:

Guest Mike and Lily

This thread has gotten funnier each day. No private auto ownership. :huh:

Where I grew up there were kid who had 1.5 hour bus rides each way just to go to school. It was called farm country.

My mother grew up in a cabin that just got city electric in the last 15 years. What a cell phone forget it. It is call the rocky mountains.

The comment only one car per family, except for folks in the country. I can already see the discussion on CSPAN on what is country? Any place that is more than a 5 minute walk from the nearest public transportation stop? Maybe 10 minutes?

The next exception would be, "Doctors need second car for emergencies." Lawyers would have to be allowed a second car because they make the laws. Public workers also since they are required to keep the city, state and government running.

By the time it was done with the supreme court weighing in, it would BE REQUIRED that all families have at least one car per member of the family of working age.

In other words right were we are now. :eatyum:

God I love our country.... :ph34r:

Actually, the net result is that we would probably end up with smaller families.

This thread has gotten funnier each day. No private auto ownership. :P

In other words right were we are now. :rolleyes:

God I love our country.... :huh:

Actually, the net result is that we would probably end up with smaller families.

NOW yer talkin. :rain:

Guest Mike and Lily

Due to the reduction in available back seats? :D

That's pretty tuff for high-schoolers.

Actually, I was thinking that many people would rather give up their spouse than their car. Sad to say, but true.

Due to the reduction in available back seats? :eyebrow:

That's pretty tuff for high-schoolers.

Actually, I was thinking that many people would rather give up their spouse than their car. Sad to say, but true.

That is just to twisted if you ask me. It's just a car.........

Well then again........ JK

Sniff..sniff...It's a tough decision, but ALAS, I cry into this manicured wilderness....to be together with my lil' rabbit, I must FORSAKE my dear 1986 rusted out Chebby TUFF pickem-up truck, with it's missing front grill from where Bambi's mom suddenly one night became a "deer in my grill".

Sadly, I wuz going about 65 MPH, dreamin' of the round handfull size tight butt of a lil' rabbit, when from my left a large brown doe did appear. When I first saw her she was dead center on my "PBR can" hood ornament, and about 2 feet from my pimp daddy pickem- up truck.

I had no chance to even lift my foot from the "chromed foot" accelerator pedal. My truck had a full load of new kitchen cabinets, two terlets, and two bathroom vanities...poor Bambi's mom never had a chance...her brains got splattered above my right head light and her last shit blacked out my left headlight...and her last flight was about 20 feet into a ditch off to the right...How well I remember the graceful arc of her final flight.

She was so heavy it sounded like a bomb went off in my cab, I couldn't see for a few seconds as a dust cloud mushroomed inside from the concussion, and my two double cheese burgers, super sized fries, and super sized Coke became one with my pink angel hair dashboard...and I never did find the pair of velvet dice that used to hang so proudly from my rear view mirror. :)

"Such a night", as Dr. John would say.

Now, back on topic....you can blame this whole energy crisis and global warming mess on ONE PERSON.....CORBIN!!!!!!!!!! It's HIS fault!!!

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

Sniff..sniff...It's a tough decision, but ALAS, I cry into this manicured wilderness....to be together with my lil' rabbit, I must FORSAKE my dear 1986 rusted out Chebby TUFF pickem-up truck, with it's missing front grill from where Bambi's mom suddenly one night became a "deer in my grill".

Sadly, I wuz going about 65 MPH, dreamin' of the round handfull size tight butt of a lil' rabbit, when from my left a large brown doe did appear. When I first saw her she was dead center on my "PBR can" hood ornament, and about 2 feet from my pimp daddy pickem- up truck.

I had no chance to even lift my foot from the "chromed foot" accelerator pedal. My truck had a full load of new kitchen cabinets, two terlets, and two bathroom vanities...poor Bambi's mom never had a chance...her brains got splattered above my right head light and her last shit blacked out my left headlight...and her last flight was about 20 feet into a ditch off to the right...How well I remember the graceful arc of her final flight.

She was so heavy it sounded like a bomb went off in my cab, I couldn't see for a few seconds as a dust cloud mushroomed inside from the concussion, and my two double cheese burgers, super sized fries, and super sized Coke became one with my pink angel hair dashboard...and I never did find the pair of velvet dice that used to hang so proudly from my rear view mirror. :sosad:

"Such a night", as Dr. John would say.

Now, back on topic....you can blame this whole energy crisis and global warming mess on ONE PERSON.....CORBIN!!!!!!!!!! It's HIS fault!!!

tsap seui

Dam boy you didn't have to go through all that just to blame me. You could of just come out and said it....... I'm man enough to take it.

So did you have you some Bambi Mom steaks after that.........

:sosad: Corbin, Bambi's mom was nothing but a bag of deer soup after her flight into the wild blue yonder.

I'm trying to be nice to you, Corbin. I hate to kick a feller when he is public enemy #1. :)

tsap seui