From Nanning

It isn't as hot or muggy as I expected. A breeze often blows through the city.

Most taxis and businesses are air conditioned.

Offering a drink to a guest is an act of honoring the guest. Accepting the drink is an act of respect. :lol:

Beautiful women everywhere. Chinese men seemingly unaware. :blink:

Construction cranes everywhere in every direction on every horizon. I don't remember this so much in 2005.

Every man smokes and smokes as though each suck is one of great passion and pleasure.

Pedicabs are rare and now confined to just a few neighborhoods.

Electric motorcycles are everywhere.

Girls in flowing satin dresses peddling under umbrellas firmly afixed to their handlebars. :wub:

Seems most persons are under age 25 and are especially out each night crowding the city streets.

Some of the worst massages I have ever received. Either too strong with their preceived accupressure therapy or simply too light. Guess for most simply getting rubbed down by a young cutie will suffice. :blink:

There are those who still like to proclaim that a Chinese woman with a west man must be a gi, Leiqin tells me. I must admit, I pay guo da lau gi handsomely. :D

Not a beggar to be seen. Leiqin says there are plenty.

CCTV has the 24-hour Olympic channel that goes in-debt with pre-Olympic (not just Chinese) up-close-and-personal coverage, as well as in-debt explanations on how different sports are contested and judged...from fencing to sailing to ping-pong. Olympic pride is in the air. Funny how much I feel proud for them too.

Stares happen...a friendly nod, smile and a wave will enlist a very broad, appreciative smile in return, as if their being singled out by me gives them special esteem.

Walking alone in the park one morning... "Zou", I said as I passed the old man. He ran to me, grabbing both of my hands, speaking in Chinese. He asked if I was American. "Wo Meiguoren", I replied. And, he pumps my hands hardily in welcoming me.

Hard beds are still killing my back.

Interesting how security gates and guards are especially found around the poorer tenaments.

A medical clinic can be nothing more than a lean-two off a street where benches line and IVs hang along the walls are sufficient enough for the attending doctor and nurse to treat the many patients.

High-heeled women going to work on their scooters.

There is no 'female shortage' in Nanning.

I would never consider living in China without at least a simple grasp of the language.

Leiqin and I go to check out the men's spa at our hotel. She is told to wait in the hall, as a man signals me to follow. He raps on a door and a small curtain is removed where a three-tiered bench of young, bikini clad girls are posing for the viewer's choice. I understand that every hotel has them. I am more saddened than aroused.

People continue to be surprised at my use of qui zi (chopsticks)...second nature now.

A good cup of coffee is hard (if not impossible) to find. Instant coffee we bring to our breakfast table each morning seems to suffice.

I am always aware that I am continually on display and that all of my actions, however small, are being judged and will forever become a sterotype for other west men.

Just by sitting and watching 40-50 year old women learning their choreograph dance routine, I can become a distruption to them.

Just by sitting alone in the park, I can become a park attraction. :unsure:

Facinating to think how easily one can use a squatter when dressed in tight skirt and panty hose. :huh:

Young women caught staring. A coy smile...another...and again... :wub:

I have two families, two cities and two countries that I now call my home.

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I returned to Nanning with my two gals last night to say goodbye to family and friends before leaving for the USA. We were pooped after a big day collecting passports w/visas and buying airplane tickets. :yahoo:

>>>Interesting how security gates and guards are especially found around the poorer tenaments.

I never noticed this at all around poorer housing developments, I've always thought of it as a sign the development was for those of higher position. :D

I returned to Nanning with my two gals last night to say goodbye to family and friends before leaving for the USA. We were pooped after a big day collecting passports w/visas and buying airplane tickets. :unsure:

>>>Interesting how security gates and guards are especially found around the poorer tenaments.

I never noticed this at all around poorer housing developments, I've always thought of it as a sign the development was for those of higher position. ;)

Maybe Leiqin's invalid brother isn't so poor? After visiting all of her family's apartments, Leiqin tells me that her brother is very poor and lives in one of the poorer sections of Nanning. It looked it too. But, there at the entrance was a gate and security guard. :blink: Got to wonder what's up with that?

Hey Mike, yes, maybe I will have to try the tight skirt and pantyhose myself!! :rotfl:

Another observation...

Things aren't as cheap as they were in 2005. :(

Facinating to think how easily one can use a squatter when dressed in tight skirt and panty hose. :)

I was somewhat shocked to read you can do this Dennis... :) I guess its an LA thing... <_<

But otherwise...xie xie for a most interesting read... :huh:

Guest Tony n Terrific

Good story and update Dennis. I wish I was in Nanning with my wife now. I miss hearing the music and seeing the people playing musical instruments and dancing in the park close by my wifes home. Nanning gives you a "folksy feeling" that it is just a darn good friendly place to be.

It is alot to see and do in and around Nanning. If you have the time you may wish to go to the Nanning Zoo. They provide very good entertainment as well as a wide variety of animals to see. Also the hot springs north of Nanning is great also.

Enjoy yourself. These are precious moments.

Facinating to think how easily one can use a squatter when dressed in tight skirt and panty hose. :ph34r:

I was somewhat shocked to read you can do this Dennis... :lol: I guess its an LA thing... :bangin:

But otherwise...xie xie for a most interesting read... :huh:

I think the LA thing is to also squat wearing 6" stilletos. :o