From Nanning

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah don't forget us come on back!

Thanks for the pictures.

Actually, we got in last night. It was tough, but I tried my best to stay awake on the return flight, so that I could sleep last night and reset my body clock.

Sure is quiet here in at home. :welcome: Leiqin loves the fact that she no longer needs to guard her purse, as she walks. I am missing the pulse of life that vibrates so loud in China. :(

Oh well, back to reality and work on Monday...

Yeah don't forget us come on back!

Thanks for the pictures.

Actually, we got in last night. It was tough, but I tried my best to stay awake on the return flight, so that I could sleep last night and reset my body clock.

Sure is quiet here in at home. :welcome: Leiqin loves the fact that she no longer needs to guard her purse, as she walks. I am missing the pulse of life that vibrates so loud in China. :(

Oh well, back to reality and work on Monday...

Your back!!??

Why haven't you been by for a massage?

A final post and observation...

Leiqin maintains contact and friendships with both her grade school and her high school classmates. These are bonds and friendships that developed and now last forever. Quite a cultural difference for this SoCal guy.

Grade school classmates:

http://i35.tinypic.com/j8oduq.jpg

Highschool classmates:

http://i34.tinypic.com/ff7ej9.jpg

Great photos Dennis. I found the photos of Leiqin's return to the countryside farms especially moving. Bing also had to go to the countryside and work during that era. She has told me many stories about it and seeing your photos made her stories more vivid in my mind. I wonder if she would take me back to some of these places. Somehow I doubt it. What were Leiqin's feelings and observations about going back to see them after all these years?

Great photos Dennis. I found the photos of Leiqin's return to the countryside farms especially moving. Bing also had to go to the countryside and work during that era. She has told me many stories about it and seeing your photos made her stories more vivid in my mind. I wonder if she would take me back to some of these places. Somehow I doubt it. What were Leiqin's feelings and observations about going back to see them after all these years?

Thanks, Carl. Of all the members here, I knew that you would relate most to those pictures.

For me, it was probably one of the most memorable experiences of the trip. For Leiqin, it was bittersweet. Those were very hard times for her, times where she worked in hardship while being deprived of basic education that others were given. Plus she believes that time contributed to her blood disease that other classmates have subsequently succumbed. Nonetheless, no other tour of China could have given me just a bit of knowledge of what her and others lived through.

Thanks, Carl. Of all the members here, I knew that you would relate most to those pictures.

For me, it was probably one of the most memorable experiences of the trip. For Leiqin, it was bittersweet. Those were very hard times for her, times where she worked in hardship while being deprived of basic education that others were given. Plus she believes that time contributed to her blood disease that other classmates have subsequently succumbed. Nonetheless, no other tour of China could have given me just a bit of knowledge of what her and others lived through.

I showed the photos to Bing and I believe they brought back a flood of memories for her. Surprisingly she is more open to the idea of trying to find the old farm than I thought she would be. She doubts that any of the farmers she had to work for are still alive though. You are right that those very formative years of lost education made it difficult for people of that era to move up in the world. Despite it all she managed to learn Pin Yin and get a degree in law from Guangxi University. Something not all that many women of her generation accomplished. One thing that all of the people I have met that had to go to the countryside and work all agree on. It made them tougher, they learned to appreciate what they had and they aren't afraid of hard work.

Dennis, thanks for the storys and photos. You guys look really happy and it looks like it was a real eye opener with the strolls into the past.

I truly enjoy this part of Candle.

My lil' rabbit never was forced into the countryside like her two older brothers, but later had to silently endure the two rapes in the city. While baba and the two brothers were away, wee lil' rabbit and mama were starving in the city.

On my next trip, and when I move over next year, I want to sit down with the lil' rabbit as my itranslater, and take the time to individually hear the storys of mama, baba, and each of her two brothers. Maybe sit the hard drive video cam on a tri-pod and capture their faces as well as their words when we talk.

I love my family, and I want to get to know them all. I've never been so touched by people whose lives were so hard, yet they would happily and without a thought literally give you the shirt off their back.

tsap seui

I've never been so touched by people whose lives were so hard, yet they would happily and without a thought literally give you the shirt off their back.

tsap seui

That is so true, Tsap. But, the real truth is that they know that you would do or have done the same for them. And, thus, you are family now and nothing comes before family.

One thing that all of the people I have met that had to go to the countryside and work all agree on. It made them tougher, they learned to appreciate what they had and they aren't afraid of hard work.

Tough as nails, the spirit is never broken. Today, seldom complains when things are difficult, always appreciative of everything she has and never takes anything for granted.

Only complaint from me, she tends to hoard. :)

Dennis keep writing....I enjoyed this story so much. Many newer members will learn a few things. Have a friend who grew up in the depression and it affected her life to this day .75 years later. Her husband had a good job installing printing presses 20 years ago and worked 70-75 hours a week for years.She still has 30-40 pounds of beans in the house. .......for when the next depression comes. Thought that was silly about the depression thing but she may see one here yet .