Sending money by Western Union

Ok, I know that some of you have sent money via Western Union. What do I need to send money this way, (Name, address......)? How much does it cost and how will Ada receive it in China (RMB or US)? If it can be received USD, is it better this way or more of a pain?

What other options are there (no bank account at other end yet)?

I have used it several times.

It will be in the receiver's name, and you give the receiver a number. The receiver then picks up the money at a bank or other western union location.

The money is in RMB.

Fee for us to send $400 a few months ago was $14. Can be done online.

Ok, I know that some of you have sent money via Western Union. What do I need to send money this way, (Name, address......)? How much does it cost and how will Ada receive it in China (RMB or US)? If it can be received USD, is it better this way or more of a pain?

What other options are there (no bank account at other end yet)?

I have used emoneygram but not Western Union, but I imagine it is the same. You just list the reciever's full name and as long as she has I.D. then it will be avalible for pick up at any of their locations.

I sent my stepson $100 for his birthday last May and it ended up costing $114 total and my SO picked it up in RMB, but I imagine that it could be picked up in USD as well :rolleyes:

Hamp

The "on line" Western Union fee, as I recall, was outrageous. $35 comes to mind.

Go to your local supermarket. The sender fills out the (USA end) form in English using the sender's & receivers pinyin names. The receiver will be asked (last we knew) to give the transaction number, sender's name, receiver's name & ID card. The names and spelling must match.

In addition, the sender must know, exactly, how much money was sent. If the sender uses the security question and answer at the bottom of the form don't forget to tell the receiver.

Moreover, according to my wife, you should go to a Post Office branch large enough to have an International computer system. We are not aware of a bank that handles this business. If somebody knows, please say which Bank.

The supermarket usually asks us if we want to send RMB or Dollars.

Edited by yuehan123 (see edit history)

If you send RMB, I think you get Western Union's exchange rate. If you send dollars, they are able to get a better rate at the other end.

I believe it's the Agricultural Bank of China. In addition to China Post, that acts as an agent.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

The receiver will need three pieces of information:

1. Their ID and it must match to the receiver pinyin/name; check the form at WU before you leave to ensure it has all spelling correct!

2. The 10 digit MTCN (Money Transfer Control Number).

3. The sender's name.. Did I say make sure it's spelled correctly :unsure:

As to the receiver's name: Those with two character given names, I have seen it successfully as either one or two parts;

Example:

Family name= Li

Given name = Xiao Hong

Receiver's name listed as: Xiaohong Li or Xiao Hong Li

I use it a lot to send money for business there. I send USD and get RMB in China. I get a better exchange rate from WU than from any Bank in China. I agree check the online rate. Minnesota is outrageous. Much cheaper at K-mart.

So many China posts it is easy for your SO to pick up.

Just make sure the name matches. I messed up once and got name backwards.No big deal as I called western Union and they changed it, just took another day to get money there.

Do not use the online Western Union. They charge more, than going to a Western Union outlet. I think you can send up to $1000 for only $14. I sent $3000 to my wife's friends sister a while back, and only paid $25-30.

Corbin, I went to a grocery store and called W/U...gave the woman

My name

Her name

Sent to China

wanted the funds to be picked up in RMB

Called the lil' rabbit and gave her

The 10 digit transaction number

My name (as I told the W/U lady)

That's it......

On June 18th I sent $7450 USD

The exchange rate was 6.874919

I paid $26USD

The lil' rabbit got exactly what my yellow W/U slip said she would get.

The lil' rabbit goes to one window in the China Postal Building (it has a yellow W/U sign out front).

She gets the money from the W/U window, walks 2 windows down, and puts it into her bank account.

Too easy!! :lol: Gonna soon be sending that much for quite a few days in a row. ;) Goodby daughters of the american Revolution. :happy2: :yay: :yay: :happydance:

tsap seui

I have used both... it was really easy to use the online.., but it was more expensive. I now just go to Kroger's all the time.

Walmart has Moneygram... it is about $9... but there are no Wal-marts available when I want to send the money. not as many pickup points like WU.