Pick pocketed in Guangzhou

tiger2008

Hi everyone,

Please be careful in Guangzhou. Today three midgets pocketed me while I was on the bus. They came on for five stops and then grabbed my wallet and ran. Another thief tried to pick pocket me earlier in the day. Maybe this is a growing trend. I have heard of other people getting pick pocketed before. Lots of people carry their backpack on their stomach because of the thieves. Just keep an eye out.

tiger2008

I bought a pounch that holds my currency and my passport and it's tucked under my shirt and underpants.

It's not pretty and my wife doesn't like the way it looks since it makes my belly looks bigger, but I don't have to worry about getting pickpocketed unless someone strips me naked.

Even though they banned motocycle in some area, there's still gangs of thieves in motobikes yiking cell phones and purses from pedestrians in Guangzhou.

Guest Mike and Lily

I bought a pounch that holds my currency and my passport and it's tucked under my shirt and underpants.

It's not pretty and my wife doesn't like the way it looks since it makes my belly looks bigger, but I don't have to worry about getting pickpocketed unless someone strips me naked.

Even though they banned motocycle in some area, there's still gangs of thieves in motobikes yiking cell phones and purses from pedestrians in Guangzhou.

If it's tucked under your underpants it shouldn't be your stomach that's looking bigger! B)

During bad economic times pickpockets increase. An older Chinese gentleman told me long ago to never carry my wallet or my passport with me,he said why give them a temptation.

So now I just keep some cash in my pocket and a copy of my passport page and visa in my pocket. My wallet and passport stay in the safe at hotel.

I also keep the phone number of my credit card company in the safe as well and also store in an e-mail to myself. Just in case it is stolen.After the card is lost its hard to find the number to call on the back

I guess I am lucky with over 20 visits to China alone and several other countries I have not had anyone take anything.

Even in Us now more and more stories of handbag theft and pickpocketing.

During bad economic times pickpockets increase. An older Chinese gentleman told me long ago to never carry my wallet or my passport with me,he said why give them a temptation.

So now I just keep some cash in my pocket and a copy of my passport page and visa in my pocket. My wallet and passport stay in the safe at hotel.

I also keep the phone number of my credit card company in the safe as well and also store in an e-mail to myself. Just in case it is stolen.After the card is lost its hard to find the number to call on the back

I guess I am lucky with over 20 visits to China alone and several other countries I have not had anyone take anything.

Even in Us now more and more stories of handbag theft and pickpocketing.

An older Chinese gentleman told me long ago to never carry my wallet or my passport with me,he said why give them a temptation.

Great advice.

I've never been to Guangzhuo but this was common (along with the motorcycle snatches) in Shenzhen. My wife always insists that I keep my wallet in my front pocket when I take it with me. Copying your passport is good enough.

A lesson I learned while schooling in 3rd ward htown: Only carry what you are willing to loose.

I've never had an attempt made. But I try to be prepared.

The advice here is good. My personal techniques are:

I only carry as much money as I plan to spend on an outing.

I carry a copy of my passport ID page and current visa page.

I do not carry a wallet.

I try not to look like an easy target (I think being 6'4" & 280 lbs helps). I walk with confidence, like I know where I'm going, and I don't talk to strangers that approach me. (Strangers I approach first are no problem.)

If I'm in a crowd, I keep my hand in the pocket where the moeny is. If I happen to need a lot of cash, I'm not above storing it in a sock or in my skivvies.

I've heard a lot of bad stories about Guangzhou too. We're being especially careful here.