Bringing in Chinese Medicines

I think my gals should bring some trusted, common Chinese medicines with them when they come. I know that we have medicines here, but I beleive it will be reassuring for them to have medicines they know at hand. Unlike many of you, there are no major Chinese communities in all of Montana. I do have one source in the Chinese community in Calgary, but he is very expensive.

Should we mail the medicines by China Post? Should I carry them in? Or should the girls bring them when they come?

Any common Chinese medicines that might be a HUGE red flag to customs?

I think my gals should bring some trusted, common Chinese medicines with them when they come. I know that we have medicines here, but I beleive it will be reassuring for them to have medicines they know at hand. Unlike many of you, there are no major Chinese communities in all of Montana. I do have one source in the Chinese community in Calgary, but he is very expensive.

Should we mail the medicines by China Post? Should I carry them in? Or should the girls bring them when they come?

I have brought them in both ways. I have not had any problems yet.

dont know if you are talking about over the counter medicines or the homemade ground up herbs ets, but i have in the past brought many chinese otc medicines....basically are the equvalent of motrin, advil, tylenol etc...have never had any problem bringing these things home with me.....but then again, maybe is because i have never had my luggage searched when going through customs

my impression is that either way can be tricky

There is a type of tea (that is not a medicine but is a mix of several ingredients) that is served with every meal at one of our favorite restaurants in guangzhou. I asked my wife to send me some and she said the postal people told her it is not allowed, because one of the ingredients is considered a medicine. And of course when boarding the plane to come to this country, they check the carry-ons on both ends of the flight. On this end, would they allow something thru when they have no idea what it is ? (you can bet that they won't have a clue)

So far, what has worked for me has been to put it in the checked luggage, and on the US side, be sure on the little customs form to declare that you are bringing in some tea.

Edited by jim404sea (see edit history)

Generally things in sealed commercial packages are going to be OK. If it's a custom mix in a baggie there may be a problem.

There are also Chinese herbologists in the US. We have one in a nearby shopping center. Lao Po only went there once. In the last two years she has come to appreciate western medicine and now the remaining Chinese stuff sits unused in a drawer.

So it probably will come in without difficulty.

Her baggage or mine?

I will suggest that she explain the medicine as for menstrual cramps, colds or headaches..... :ph34r:

let me re-phrase -

tea from china, well of course, no big deal

medicine ? hmmm we better check into this

now, read between the lines

your bags, you wont freak about official attention like she might

Edited by jim404sea (see edit history)

So it probably will come in without difficulty.

Her baggage or mine?

I will suggest that she explain the medicine as for menstrual cramps, colds or headaches..... :)

let me re-phrase -

tea from china, well of course, no big deal

medicine ? hmmm we better check into this

now, read between the lines

your bags, you wont freak about official attention like she might

My gal just put in her "checked-in" luggage without a problem.

In your baggage is much easier, as was spoken before, you are more adapted at explaining quickly in English. As long as the medicines do not contain anything prohibited in this country should not be a problem.

I believe the US Customs website has a list of ingredients that are banned.

I have brought many medicines back but are just common ones no problem.Both in my carry-on and in checked luggage.

Good Luck

Paul

Prepared and packaged medicines are OK to bring or send. But don't bring dried leaves, roots, tree barks, etc which could carry microbes that can be harmful to plants in the US. Also, you can not bring medicines to sell here.