Chinese Movies

I found some Chinese movies that could give some insight into day to day Chinese life, they are, "The Story of Qiu", "The Blue Kite" and "Quitting" these movies are not the martial art movies about China, more the family side of Chinese life. Does anyone have other movies they can recommend?

I found some Chinese movies that could give some insight into day to day Chinese life, they are, "The Story of Qiu", "The Blue Kite" and "Quitting" these movies are not the martial art movies about China, more the family side of Chinese life. Does anyone have other movies they can recommend?

"Raise The Red Lantern" a movie of concubines and China around 1920, great reviews.

"Raise The Red Lantern" a movie of concubines and China around 1920, great reviews.

I liked it... :) and it prepares one for the pace of many Chinese movies... :D not to mention getting the visa... :D

I don't care for Chinese made melodramas. They tend to be slow and depressing.

But I do like HK films, and sometimes directors go to China to tell thier stories. I especially liked "somewhere in time" or I think that's what it's called. It's a love story about two people who communicate over a short wave radio. The only catch is that they are separated by 20 years or so. Another good one is the little seamstress...or something like that. I'm terrible with titles.

Is it possible to find movies like these on the internet?

Where I live it will be impossible to find any here. That brings something to mind. What if my SO misses her favorite soaps when she is here? I better pick some movies and soaps up from the DVD vendors the next time I'm there :D

Eight Taels of Gold is a good movie, but I don't know that it will teach you much about Chinese life. It is not a Kungfu movie but does star Sammo Hung. He is a Chinese man who lives in the U.S. and works as a taxi driver and goes back to China to visit his family.

Where I live it will be impossible to find any here. That brings something to mind. What if my SO misses her favorite soaps when she is here? I better pick some movies and soaps up from the DVD vendors the next time I'm there :)

Check Amazon.com (search for "Chinese" in the DVD section), and yesAsia.com, and check out Dish Network's Great Wall Package and the online Chinese broadcasts. DirecTV and most cable comp-anies offer Chinese programming as well.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Where I live it will be impossible to find any here. That brings something to mind. What if my SO misses her favorite soaps when she is here? I better pick some movies and soaps up from the DVD vendors the next time I'm there :P

Jim just sign up for the Great Wall Package with Direct TV (satellite)... :)

All I ever watch on American TV is baseball... B)

Thanks for the tips!

I do think I have "some" understanding about Chinese life. I lived near Shenzhen for a few months but I guess there is always more to learn. I made friends when I was there, people who had families (wife & kids) and was invited to dinner at their homes several times. Really nice people I thought and very caring. My Chinese colleagues pulled together and gave me a gift before I left. By western standards it didn¡¯t have much monetary value but I know for them it was a luxury that they could¡¯ve spent on their own needs. I still have it.

I will check out the tips you all gave. Thanks!

Though I would like subtitles, I do want to use this as an opportunity to become better with understanding Mandarin.

Alot of Chinese women like films like that. :ph34r:

Alot of Chinese women like films like that. :(

And amazingly enough... :blink: a lot of western men married to Chinese women like them also... :o Let me expound... :rolleyes:

In the west FASTEST IS BESTEST... :huh: Between action movies, video games and other cancers like soccer... :ph34r: the average attention span in the west is now measured in milli-seconds, if the brain synapses are not firing continuously then ITS BORING MAN... :( anything a little slower, like many Chinese movies, reading a BOOK... :unsure: , or baseball... B) is too slow for today's fast-paced, gotta have it yesterday life-style... ;)

Guys, guys...slow down and smell the roses, turn off your mind and float downstream...we'll all be dead soon enough anyway, why rush into it... :mf_sleep:

I read an interview with Dr Michael Debakke on his 99th birthday...He developed many of the techniques for doing heart surgery and personally did 60,000 cardiac surgeries but he did decide to stop at age 90...When asked his advice on life the first comment that he made was that people should just stop and THINK more... :huh: Its free and it does wonders for our mental heatlth... :D

So you see that watching those s..l...o....w...Chinese movies gives us time to think more about what is going on, to appreciate the story, the characters, the scenes more fully, maybe there's something in there that could apply to us... :)

Just my 2 jiao worth... :smartass:

Where I live it will be impossible to find any here. That brings something to mind. What if my SO misses her favorite soaps when she is here? I better pick some movies and soaps up from the DVD vendors the next time I'm there :bangin:

Netflix carrries the movies, I mentioned.