A horrifying experience in Beijing

Crime will increase in China as it becomes more Westernized unfortunately. I was at a Walmart store and in the Video section all I saw was violent western movies for sale. These type of movies just encourage violence and crime IMHO.

I would have to say Chinese movies are just as violent only they use Kung Fu instead of a pistol fu. Western culture did not invent violence. It has been around since Cain & Able!

Japanese movies top them all in violence and gore.

If crime increases in China it will do so as the gap between the haves and the have-nots increases. Westernization and violent movies, from any country, will have little to do with it IMHO.

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

Crime will increase in China as it becomes more Westernized unfortunately. I was at a Walmart store and in the Video section all I saw was violent western movies for sale. These type of movies just encourage violence and crime IMHO.

I would have to say Chinese movies are just as violent only they use Kung Fu instead of a pistol fu. Western culture did not invent violence. It has been around since Cain & Able!

If crime increases in China it will do so as the gap between the haves and the have-nots increases. Westernization and violent movies, from any country, will have little to do with it IMHO.

Ditto.

Crime is everywhere, here and there. You just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time!! The Olympics will see a surge of crime because of so called easy "marks"!! :D

This is one of the lessons that I learned from this incident. After telling my wife about what happened, my wife said I had so many easy "marks" to identify myself as a "non-local"/"visitor". I just never imagined this would have happened in downtown Beijing.

You said that you were easy marks but if you are Chinese American, then you look Chinese ¨C Right? You also speak the language ¨C Right? You have several abilities that we Americans don¡¯t have. So that we can learn¡­ what marks did you have to make you an easy target. Just curious!

Crime is everywhere, here and there. You just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time!! The Olympics will see a surge of crime because of so called easy "marks"!! :D

This is one of the lessons that I learned from this incident. After telling my wife about what happened, my wife said I had so many easy "marks" to identify myself as a "non-local"/"visitor". I just never imagined this would have happened in downtown Beijing.

You said that you were easy marks but if you are Chinese American, then you look Chinese ¨C Right? You also speak the language ¨C Right? You have several abilities that we Americans don¡¯t have. So that we can learn¡­ what marks did you have to make you an easy target. Just curious!

The way I dressed, the backpack that I carried with me, the accent I spoke Chinese with all indicated that I was not from Beijing local.

Guest Rob & Jin

A drunk in Kunming tried to get into it with me (a poor defensless ex para) but he underestimated my secret weapon- Jin !!! and she kicked his a$$ big time. :bangin: :boxer: :alldone: :crutch:

and dont forget your money panties :D

A drunk in Kunming tried to get into it with me (a poor defensless ex para) but he underestimated my secret weapon- Jin !!! and she kicked his a$$ big time. :bangin: :boxer: :alldone: :crutch:

and dont forget your money panties :D

Heck I had more trouble in Denver then China!!!! :P :D

And don't forget the damn TAXI scam at the Airport.

As soon as I landed in Guangzhou, I had this guy following me around asking me if I needed a ride. He quoted me about 300 rmb to get to my hotel. Now I know full well that the trip doesn't cost more than 150 rmb.

So I took the Legal Taxi where you have to wait in line and that guy tried to scam me too!

Once we got to my hotel, he tried to get more from me, "Come on, you're from American, you're rich. What's another 50 rmb to you? We're all Guang Dong people. Help each other out."

It's much worse for Chinese American because they think we're all rich. If you're white, they won't bug you since they know you won't understand what they are saying.

A mark being a person who doesn't fit the normal public image, we as Americans will always stand-out in China. Case in point, my first visit to my Lao Po (native girl), we were shopping in downtown GUZ, when a man some 50 meters away came running directly at offer to sell a Rolex watch, I didn't see him coming until her was about 30 meters out. I saw this a lot of times whiles shopping there, and even far out in some of the provinces, but leaving the shopping to my Lao Po was the answer.

I never went anywhere in GUZ without my Lao Po, the best defense is a good offense and she felt I was being treated unfairly she didn't hold her tongue (wicked) and by the tone of her voice I could tell she expressing her displeasure.

As for those coming to Beijing for the Olympics, it should be an unusal expeirence to say the least.

Guest Rob & Jin

A mark being a person who doesn't fit the normal public image, we as Americans will always stand-out in China. Case in point, my first visit to my Lao Po (native girl), we were shopping in downtown GUZ, when a man some 50 meters away came running directly at offer to sell a Rolex watch, I didn't see him coming until her was about 30 meters out. I saw this a lot of times whiles shopping there, and even far out in some of the provinces, but leaving the shopping to my Lao Po was the answer.

I never went anywhere in GUZ without my Lao Po, the best defense is a good offense and she felt I was being treated unfairly she didn't hold her tongue (wicked) and by the tone of her voice I could tell she expressing her displeasure.

As for those coming to Beijing for the Olympics, it should be an unusal expeirence to say the least.

haha, nothing like a 95lb bodyguard

I agree.

As for violence, I think, proportionally, there would be less violence, because people would care about their life more. The target is money.

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)