A horrifying experience in Beijing

I recently came back from a short trip to Beijing. But I had a very unpleasant encounter there that I would like to share others who might visit there in the future. I am a Chinese American, so I speak both English and Chinese well.

This happened in a large bookstore in downtown Beijing. When I was in the bookstore, a tall guy bumped into me, and dropped a disc onto the floor. When I walked outside the bookstore, the guy grabbed my shirt and demanded that we go to the police station nearby. During the ensuing brief struggle, my shirt was torn several holes and the some clear water was poured from plastic bottles in his plastic bag. We then walked to the police station and reported the incident to the police in charge. The guy claimed that he lost two bottle of ¡°medicine¡± which cost him 3000 Yuans ($400) and asked me for compensation. I know this is a common scheme of money extortion, so I refused to pay. The police told me that the guy, who was from rural Beijing, had some form of mental illness. The police asked us to discuss and ¡°settle¡± the issues by ourselves. I showed to the police my U.S. passport and said that I would call the U.S. embassy if they cannot resolve the issues themselves. After about 4 hours of back and forth negotiations in the police station, I left the station without paying anything.

I talked with several of my Chinese friends afterwards and they told me the followings:

(1) Try to avoid the tourist heavy spots in Beijing or any other big Chinese cities. There are money extortions and robberies happenings there (snap your bag and run away). If you have to be there, be especially vigilant of your surroundings.

(2) In a situation like this, the police are generally ¡°sympathetic¡± to the destitute locals. And If I had paid the guy some 200-300 yuans, the problem may have been resolved more quickly. But I was stubborn at the time. The threat of calling U.S. embassy might also have helped. (I am not sure if anyone here has tried to contact U.S. embassy/consulate in an emergence situation, and what the Embassy/Consulate response would be.)

I know a lot of the American members here are interested in retiring in China. I have never though crime would be an issue until something happened to me. But it is a good if you or your family members know some local government officials and be especially aware of crime rates there. The rapid economic growth in China has left some people behind and created huge income disparity. Crime of all sorts is definitely on the rise.

One of the reasons we will be living in a small city... :unsure:

I agree that a small city in China is relatively safer. But you would put yourself further away from the protection of U.S. consulates/embassy which are generally located in large cities. It is definitely a good idea to register yourself with the U.S. consulates/embassy once you move to China and regularly contact your relatives in the States to keep them informed about your whereabouts, in case you disappeared in "mystery". You know in the eyes of ordinary Chinese citizens, Americans are "rich".

I do not think that crime is the exclusive province of "western ways".

And some do not believe the economy and income disparity correlates to these type of crimes.

I wonder if these types of incidents will increase as the Olympics get closer and there are more easy marks available, then decrease as the "visitors" leave.

I think so. Visitors=$$$

I remember when tourists were targeted at rest areas here in FL with shootings and deaths ensuing. Now all rest areas have security.

Crime is everywhere, here and there. You just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time!! The Olympics will see a surge of crime because of so called easy "marks"!! :sosad:

This is one of the lessons that I learned from this incident. After telling my wife about what happened, my wife said I had so many easy "marks" to identify myself as a "non-local"/"visitor". I just never imagined this would have happened in downtown Beijing.

Edited by Stone (see edit history)

Crime is everywhere, here and there. You just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time!! The Olympics will see a surge of crime because of so called easy "marks"!! :(

This is one of the lessons that I learned from this incident. After telling my wife about what happened, my wife said I had so many easy "marks" to identify myself as a "non-local"/"visitor". I just never imagined this would have happened in downtown Beijing.

I never carried my passport in my back pocket and very little cash either. Now hard to mingle in with the locals at my size!! B)

I never carried my passport in my back pocket and very little cash either. Now hard to mingle in with the locals at my size!! :(

So when you go to China and you have to stay in a hotel, do you insist on renting a room with a safe deposit box? I think very few people would leave their cash and passports to their hotel rooms.

Guest Tony n Terrific

Crime will increase in China as it becomes more Westernized unfortunately. I was at a Walmart store and in the Video section all I saw was violent western movies for sale. These type of movies just encourage violence and crime IMHO.

Crime will increase in China as it becomes more Westernized unfortunately. I was at a Walmart store and in the Video section all I saw was violent western movies for sale. These type of movies just encourage violence and crime IMHO.

I would have to say Chinese movies are just as violent only they use Kung Fu instead of a pistol fu. Western culture did not invent violence. It has been around since Cain & Able!

I would have to say Chinese movies are just as violent only they use Kung Fu instead of a pistol fu. Western culture did not invent violence. It has been around since Cain & Able!

Japanese movies top them all in violence and gore.