Sanya, China

Guest Mike and Lily

Have any of you ever traveled to Sanya, China in the Hainan province? Ada wants to see it and we talked about maybe going there. From what I looked up it looks to be a nice place to go. What kind of cost can I expect to pay? :lol:

We went there a little over a year ago. What it costs depends on where you stay and what you do. The five star hotels have western prices and are over $100 US a night. You can find nice 3-4 star hotels close to the beach for 200-300 rmb per night. Food is reasonable if you stay out of the big hotels also. Seafood is quite cheap and delicious too. You can have wonderful seafood meals at a reasonable price. The weather there was nice in February when we went. It's likely to be substantially hotter in May though. The beaches are only so-so in my opinion. I like Hawaii much better!

Have any of you ever traveled to Sanya, China in the Hainan province? Ada wants to see it and we talked about maybe going there. From what I looked up it looks to be a nice place to go. What kind of cost can I expect to pay? :D

I hear its nice... :rolleyes:

Have any of you ever traveled to Sanya, China in the Hainan province? Ada wants to see it and we talked about maybe going there. From what I looked up it looks to be a nice place to go. What kind of cost can I expect to pay? :rolleyes:

We went there a little over a year ago. What it costs depends on where you stay and what you do. The five star hotels have western prices and are over $100 US a night. You can find nice 3-4 star hotels close to the beach for 200-300 rmb per night. Food is reasonable if you stay out of the big hotels also. Seafood is quite cheap and delicious too. You can have wonderful seafood meals at a reasonable price. The weather there was nice in February when we went. It's likely to be substantially hotter in May though. The beaches are only so-so in my opinion. I like Hawaii much better!

Thanks for the info.......

Where did you come from on main land China and do you remember what it cost you to get there?

Guest Mike and Lily

Have any of you ever traveled to Sanya, China in the Hainan province? Ada wants to see it and we talked about maybe going there. From what I looked up it looks to be a nice place to go. What kind of cost can I expect to pay? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info.......

Where did you come from on main land China and do you remember what it cost you to get there?

We flew from GUZ. I really don't remember the cost, but I don't think it was expensive.

Corbin we vacationed at Sanya 4 years ago in April... :blink: Laopo got a package deal from GZ...air, hotel (Holiday Inn at Yalong Bay), transfers and a car and driver for a few days...Its very nice but is touristy and you will NOT be alone...Taxis are notorious rip-offs so be careful...Western style restaurants at the big hotels are expensive but their Chinese restaurants are not...In Sanya itself prices are cheaper for everything but most western tourists prefer Yalong Bay and its famous beach... :lol: Its a great place to visit but I didn't want to live there so we chose Qionghai, Hainan... ;)

Corbin,

Lily, her daughter and I stayed in Sanya last January when the rest of China was frozen by record cold and snow. Lily was able to escape from the frozen north :licklips: (Shenyang) and I flew :happydance: into Shanghai then on to Sanya. I arranged the Sanya round trip with elong.com after ctrip cancelled me at the last minute. ( I literally had 48hrs before my arrival to Shanghai to set up the flight to Sanya). I think the Sanghai - Sanya round trip cost was around $400 usd. We stayed in a 2 bdrm / 2 bath condo across the street from a OK (not great) beach for $450rmb a night. Lily found the place to stay so I can't remember the name of the lady she arranged the place with. We were close to the city and had a great view every night of the city lights. During the 8 days we had many things to see and places to go. We had almost perfect weather during our time but I understand it gets really hot during the summer. If you have any questions you can ask me directly and I'm sure more CFL'ers will keep you informed. <_<

Brian

Corbin,

Lily, her daughter and I stayed in Sanya last January when the rest of China was frozen by record cold and snow. Lily was able to escape from the frozen north :cold: (Shenyang) and I flew :plane: into Shanghai then on to Sanya. I arranged the Sanya round trip with elong.com after ctrip cancelled me at the last minute. ( I literally had 48hrs before my arrival to Shanghai to set up the flight to Sanya). I think the Sanghai - Sanya round trip cost was around $400 usd. We stayed in a 2 bdrm / 2 bath condo across the street from a OK (not great) beach for $450rmb a night. Lily found the place to stay so I can't remember the name of the lady she arranged the place with. We were close to the city and had a great view every night of the city lights. During the 8 days we had many things to see and places to go. We had almost perfect weather during our time but I understand it gets really hot during the summer. If you have any questions you can ask me directly and I'm sure more CFL'ers will keep you informed. :victory:

Brian

Hey Corbin, girls went to Thailand, it was warm and a great time!!! B)

Have any of you ever traveled to Sanya, China in the Hainan province? Ada wants to see it and we talked about maybe going there. From what I looked up it looks to be a nice place to go. What kind of cost can I expect to pay? :roller:

A lot depends on what time of the year you go there.

If you go during the peak season(s), expect to pay very close to 1600 RMB for a round trip ticket originating from GZ. During off-peak times, you can get a round trip ticket for 400 - 800 RMB.

There are two main beaches in Sanya: Ya Long Bay and Da Dong Bay. YL is more isolated and an inconvenient ride to the city of Sanya (which is nothing to brag about), but nonetheless you are limited in YL to mostly hotel restaurants and activities -- expensive. Hotels there can be $100 per night, but travel agents generally offer package deals for about 2000 RMB per person for a 3 day, 2 night excursion during off-peak times.

In my opinion, DD is much better. The beach is good and you have not only a wider selection of hotels but also restaurants and beach activities. A 5 star hotel on the beach (but really only 4) will cost you about 500 RMB per night and possibly less if it is very off-peak. There are 0 star hotels within a 15 minute walk from the beach for 150 RMB.

During peak seasons, expect all quoted prices to double or triple. probably this would include the Labor Day holiday.

Hi Corbin,

Sanya (Hainan in general) is a beautiful place and I think you'd have a great time there. Zhen & I went on our Honeymoon at the end of March & the weather then was pretty hot & muggy, so I know Summer would definately be steamy. We stayed in both downtown Sanya & in Yalong Bay; downtown being considerably cheaper than Yalong Bay. But It's hard to say where I enjoyed more; downtown was cool as everything was walkable and all the restaurants were cheap & good, but Yalong Bay was awesome, right on a scenic beach, quiet & secluded, so it really depends on what you want to get out of it - try both if you can like we did.

As far as getting there, we drove in, and flew out to Beijing as the car was wrecked enroute, but that's a long story for another time. The Ferry was dirt cheap & I would definately recommend it if at all possible for anyone. First, you get a nice little boat trip together, second you have your own vehicle while you're there, so makes commuting a lot easier!

Here's a shot of Yalong Bay, hope the link works.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...si&img=2079

We have been there twice now (the last two Decembers). The previous posts are right on, especially about the taxi drivers. Ya Long Bay has the best beach and the 1st time we went we found a package where we went scuba diving and then a boat ride to an island. There is also a hot spring there that I highly recommend. It is probably our favorite place there. There is a seafood market in town with a huge selection. I think it's best to take the bus into town if you can but beware of the rush hour because the buses can get packed! the hotels will have a bus schedule.

As for hotels I liked the Sanya Shanhaitian Hotel best for the price and convenience to downtown. It was more quite for the location.

Get a Ctrip account and look for packages there. I think that will be the cheapest.

Good luck!

There is also a hot spring there that I highly recommend. It is probably our favorite place there.

We also went to that hot spring in 2004 and thought it very nice...BUT...Hainan has MUCH larger hot springs areas at Xinglong (Wanning) and Guantang (Qionghai)...You can find pics of laopo frolicking there in my gallery section on Hainan... :worthy: Also as everything about Sanya, it is more expensive... :worthy:

There is also a hot spring there that I highly recommend. It is probably our favorite place there.

We also went to that hot spring in 2004 and thought it very nice...BUT...Hainan has MUCH larger hot springs areas at Xinglong (Wanning) and Guantang (Qionghai)...You can find pics of laopo frolicking there in my gallery section on Hainan... :D Also as everything about Sanya, it is more expensive... B)

Don't know if we will be going there since I looked up prices and told Ada. She said, to mucha.......

costa to much........... :D

Edited by Corbin (see edit history)

We also went to that hot spring in 2004 and thought it very nice...BUT...Hainan has MUCH larger hot springs areas at Xinglong (Wanning) and Guantang (Qionghai)...You can find pics of laopo frolicking there in my gallery section on Hainan... :D Also as everything about Sanya, it is more expensive... B)

Don't know if we will be going there since I looked up prices and told Ada. She said, to mucha.......

costa to much........... :D

Ah Corbin just unload that GAS GUZZLER and buy a hybrid and the gas you save will pay for the trip... :D