What will happen to her?

pkfops, That's what I was wanting to say. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I've got some friends who moved to FLA to avoid legal stuff in Il. Good riddance. What happened to stand up and take it like a man? I must be old school.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pkfops, That's what I was wanting to say. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I've got some friends who moved to FLA to avoid legal stuff in Il. Good riddance. What happened to stand up and take it like a man? I must be old school.

no, we just have morals, principals and a heart.

Edited by michaelt (see edit history)

As someone who has spent quite a bit of time studying pre-nups I don't believe that "agreement" has a ghost of a chance of surviving. My experience is all with California but it's hard to believe that Florida is THAT different.

I agree Jim and thank you so much for your input....as always! : )

The document she signed MIGHT be a prenuptial agreement, but the usage of prenuptial agreements varies from state to state, as well as 'survivor rights' after death, and 'spousal /survivor rights' after death.

But - if the prenuptial agreement wasn't notarized, she stands a better chance of having it totally thrown out, should it be challenged by his other heirs.

Others mention 'time for an attorney', and I agree with that, but -

she can find out her own status with USCIS. She has her passport with her K-1 VISA in it, right? The A number there is useful when she calls USCIS to check for 'current AOS status'.

Good Luck...

Yes, plan on doing that for her when we register with USCIS and submit Case Number. Abit tough to do since her English is limited and I am not her representative.

michael, try to understand whe she really needs at this point?...i don't know the whole story between the wife and the husband, first of all, how did the two of them get to know each other and get married....just curious...and why would she marry him if she he treats her so awful?.....does she like living here in the states?....what about her family in china....money is one thing...but the most important thing for her now is to find out what she really needs.....how is she gonna survive here in the states when he dies...even with some of his money....michael...if you really want to help her....tell your wife to findout what she really needs....if you don't know what she really needs ..you cant really help her at her best interest....good luck....and michael...you are certainly and unqestionably a very nice person and your wife should be really glad that she found you....or you found her......<_<

The document she signed MIGHT be a prenuptial agreement, but the usage of prenuptial agreements varies from state to state, as well as 'survivor rights' after death, and 'spousal /survivor rights' after death.

But - if the prenuptial agreement wasn't notarized, she stands a better chance of having it totally thrown out, should it be challenged by his other heirs.

Others mention 'time for an attorney', and I agree with that, but -

she can find out her own status with USCIS. She has her passport with her K-1 VISA in it, right? The A number there is useful when she calls USCIS to check for 'current AOS status'.

Good Luck...

Yes, plan on doing that for her when we register with USCIS and submit Case Number. Abit tough to do since her English is limited and I am not her representative.

michael, try to understand whe she really needs at this point?...i don't know the whole story between the wife and the husband, first of all, how did the two of them get to know each other and get married....just curious...and why would she marry him if she he treats her so awful?.....does she like living here in the states?....what about her family in china....money is one thing...but the most important thing for her now is to find out what she really needs.....how is she gonna survive here in the states when he dies...even with some of his money....michael...if you really want to help her....tell your wife to findout what she really needs....if you don't know what she really needs ..you cant really help her at her best interest....good luck....and michael...you are certainly and unqestionably a very nice person and your wife should be really glad that she found you....or you found her......:unsure:

You're absolutely right. We need to find out what she needs. I'd also like to know more of their story, and by the same token, I realize there are always two sides to every story. I remind my wife, all is not always as it appears. I have tried to ascertain how they met and under what circumstances, but that remains a gray area right now. Thank you for your compliment and we will continue to look out for my wife's friend as much as possible. : )

Pre-nups..... :) :)

You are a good man to try to help this woman from yet another "self important" and controling american male, Michael. :)

tsap seui

Pre-nups..... :) :)

You are a good man to try to help this woman from yet another "self important" and controling american male, Michael. :)

tsap seui

Thank you. She's a very sweet and very frightened lady and I can not sit back and just watch. You would do the same!!!!

Has the AOS been completed? I notice that they are already married.

Not sure. Getting a copy of her NOA tomorrow indicating "Transfer to California" (not sure when dated) and will try to track via USCIS website and Case Number/A Number. She had her biometrics done last Sept which makes me wonder why he has not mentioned green card or AOS appointment to her yet.

I remember Jimei's case. Her husband died shortly after they were married before AOS was completed. Interestingly enough she was able to adjust status on her own but as for Social Security her daughter could collect but she couldn't.

I remember Jimei's case. Her husband died shortly after they were married before AOS was completed. Interestingly enough she was able to adjust status on her own but as for Social Security her daughter could collect but she couldn't.

Did she stay in the US or go back home?