George Clooney at odds with China's policy

Guest Tony n Terrific

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Liuling

So what makes him different than the rest of us (aside from being handsome, in shape and worth a ton of money)?

It's that ton of money..............

Nope...it's because he was right. Also, Richard Gere is permanently banned from China for telling the truth....something that some people do not want to know anything about.

Edited by Liuling (see edit history)

So what makes him different than the rest of us (aside from being handsome, in shape and worth a ton of money)?

Nope...it's because he was right. Also, Richard Gere is permanently banned from China for telling the truth....something that some people do not want to know anything about.

Welcome to Candle Liuling. :greenblob:

Way to jump right in with your first post. :cheering:

Guest Liuling

Welcome to Candle Liuling. :eatyum:

Way to jump right in with your first post. :worthy:

Thank you for the warm welcome, Dave. I have been watching this blog for some time. I thought that I would officially join in.

Not a damned thing!!

He's entitled to his opinion just like everyone else. He's using his celebrity and whatever clout that may muster to try and save lives for crying out loud.

China is in a position to put pressure on Sudan because of their influence in the region through extensive trade there. The opportunities to put any economic or political pressure on China come few and far between. Like it or not,the Olympics happen to afford one of those opportunities.

This isn't the first Olympics that's been used to put pressure of one kind or another on the host country and it won't be the last. It's part of the price you pay to get the potential cash cow and public relations stage for your country that is the Olympic Games.

Does it make it a little uncomfortable for us because of our unique ties to China? Of course. But what's going on in Darfur should make everyone uncomfortable. That's the whole point.

Well, Dave, we KNOW what the problem is. It's the same one we are ALL facing around the world, in about 95% of all the conflicts out there. Why blame China? It's happening where China isn't even involved.

I guess you could argue that this is the price the Chinese have to pay for being a world power now, but we still wouldn't be addressing the the real issue. It wasn't so long ago that China was 'third world'. They've done a good job of solving many of their own problems and have many more to come. Darfur isn't really one of them, is it?

Our new president, whether it be Hillary Rodham Clinton, Barack Hussein Obama, John Sidney McCain or someone else, should make a top level visit to China a top priority, hopefully to discuss a joint strategy. Best get on board together now because neither China nor the U.S. can go it alone on this one.

Also, Richard Gere is permanently banned from China for telling the truth....something that some people do not want to know anything about.

In Richard Gere's case I thought it was more about hamsters??

Welcome to Candle...

;)

Edited by DMikeS4321 (see edit history)
Guest Tony n Terrific

He's entitled to his opinion just like everyone else. He's using his celebrity and whatever clout that may muster to try and save lives for crying out loud.

China is in a position to put pressure on Sudan because of their influence in the region through extensive trade there. The opportunities to put any economic or political pressure on China come few and far between. Like it or not,the Olympics happen to afford one of those opportunities.

This isn't the first Olympics that's been used to put pressure of one kind or another on the host country and it won't be the last. It's part of the price you pay to get the potential cash cow and public relations stage for your country that is the Olympic Games.

Does it make it a little uncomfortable for us because of our unique ties to China? Of course. But what's going on in Darfur should make everyone uncomfortable. That's the whole point.

Well, Dave, we KNOW what the problem is. It's the same one we are ALL facing around the world, in about 95% of all the conflicts out there. Why blame China? It's happening where China isn't even involved.

I guess you could argue that this is the price the Chinese have to pay for being a world power now, but we still wouldn't be addressing the the real issue. It wasn't so long ago that China was 'third world'. They've done a good job of solving many of their own problems and have many more to come. Darfur isn't really one of them, is it?

Our new president, whether it be Hillary Rodham Clinton, Barack Hussein Obama, John Sidney McCain or someone else, should make a top level visit to China a top priority, hopefully to discuss a joint strategy. Best get on board together now because neither China nor the U.S. can go it alone on this one.

Agreed. China and the US must work together for the good of each nation and all the nations of the world will benefit. China was called the sleeping giant for centuries now it is awakened once more. The world can not afford the giant to become an aggressive Dragon.

This isn't about the other conflicts, this is about Darfur only. Didn't say we should blame China. George Clooney didn't say we should blame China. The point he and many others is making is that very few countries have the kind of influence with the Sudanese government that China does. China is in this unique situation because of their EXTENSIVE business dealings with them.

Agreed that the next president should make China a/the top priority foreign policy-wise. That president won't be in office til Jan. of '09. Can't hurt to try and nudge China to try to do something in the meantime. Especially when so many lives are at stake NOW.

This isn't about the other conflicts, this is about Darfur only. Didn't say we should blame China. George Clooney didn't say we should blame China. The point he and many others is making is that very few countries have the kind of influence with the Sudanese government that China does. China is in this unique situation because of their EXTENSIVE business dealings with them.

Agreed that the next president should make China a/the top priority foreign policy-wise. That president won't be in office til Jan. of '09. Can't hurt to try and nudge China to try to do something in the meantime. Especially when so many lives are at stake NOW.

OK, nobody 'blames' China, but the implicit threat is that China's Olympics may be sullied if China doesn't 'do something' about Darfur. I don't see that they have any more responsibility than anyone else does. That's all I'm saying.

First Spielberg, now Clooney. Who's next? Maybe 'blame' isn't the right word, but somebody is thinking China has some responsibility. My point is that these people are messing with something that is very, very important to China, a country that recently emerged from third world status. I think the level of insensitivity is extreme and I'm wondering why China is the target. Maybe pressuring some other entity that has more direct ties to the ongoing genocide/religious war would be more justified and more productive?

Just a thought...

Darfour? Not sure what exactly is the problem, but one thing I do know is that China imports almost 10% of oil from that place. Not sure if Clooney is doing the right thing, but do hope more people, including governments do more to stop the violence. Too oftern we are blinded by our own interests to see the damage caused by the government policies. I am not familiar with the issue and facts in Dafor, but of all the nations, China should know better than supplying arms to a government that .... Well, any one remember the business deals between US and Japan in the 30s?

Even from a pure economic perspective, every nation should look at the long term interests. If the government is overthrown, I am sure the new government will, undoubtedly, throw all the Chinese businesses out. Stopping the violence is in every one's interest, including China and if China is not doing what it is supposed to do, any one has the right to point the finger.

Right wrong or indifferent, the man is standing up for what he believes in and is trying to make a difference. I see nothing wrong with that. Perhaps we should think about what we can do to make the world a better place.

Agreed. China and the US must work together for the good of each nation and all the nations of the world will benefit. China was called the sleeping giant for centuries now it is awakened once more. The world can not afford the giant to become an aggressive Dragon.

The PRC isn't as activist as the US. They've been a somewhat coherent nation for 5000 years...as a society, they've seen it all. They've seen wealth/power come, and wealth/power go. At times, they have suffered from disease, famine, war at least as much as any other nation. And as recently as just over 100 years ago, the cause of said suffering was Europe (with a little bit of US mixed in). No one helped China then, why should they help clean up European colonial messes now?

In the end, I think I mostly agree with the non-intervention approach. The West, particularly the US, tends to feel it has to do something because people are suffering...and then we proceed to do something that ends up making things worse. Or making people dependent on future handouts. One of the main reasons Africa is messed up is because of European exploitation. The 2nd most major reason is because the West (including the US) sent lots and lots and lots of guilt money to buy expiation, and all it did is create a system of corruption and enrich unscrupulous leaders.

China's method may not help, but it doesn't hurt, either. The only way a nation can get straightened out is if the people itself want to get straightened out. The people have to unify behind a goal and achieve it; there's nothing that can't be done better on your own than with condescending Western "sympathy".

OK, nobody 'blames' China, but the implicit threat is that China's Olympics may be sullied if China doesn't 'do something' about Darfur. I don't see that they have any more responsibility than anyone else does. That's all I'm saying.

First Spielberg, now Clooney. Who's next? Maybe 'blame' isn't the right word, but somebody is thinking China has some responsibility. My point is that these people are messing with something that is very, very important to China, a country that recently emerged from third world status. I think the level of insensitivity is extreme and I'm wondering why China is the target. Maybe pressuring some other entity that has more direct ties to the ongoing genocide/religious war would be more justified and more productive?

Just a thought...

The reason people are putting pressure on China is because THEY CAN, precisely because the Olympics is very,very important to China. Up to now,China has been fairly insulated from outside pressure. They haven't really cared what the rest of the world thought or did because they really didn't have to.

They didn't need the outside world (the West at least) for much of anything other than to buy their cheaply produced products. And they figured out long ago that the West's hunger for those cheap products overwhelmed any reluctance to buy from China based on their politics or human rights record. As everyone here knows, China is not stupid.

But now they want to be seen in a positive light and be embraced by the rest of the world and want to use the Olympics to help accomplish that. Rightly or wrongly, some believe that one price you pay for being accepted onto the world stage is doing what you can to help end things like genocides in places like Darfur. The opportunities for the rest of the world to use leverage against China come few and far between. The Olympics happens to be one of those times.

A simple Google search will show the extent to which China has sold arms to Sudan, bought their oil and protected them from any sanctions at the UN. They've done this while basically turning a blind eye to what's happening in Darfur, at least until very recently.

It's all about the money. China has little interest in Sudan's politics and treatment of the people in Darfur. All they want is the money and oil to continue to flow. Can't blame them for that. In that respect they're not much different from us.

Pressure from the US and other countries has had little effect on the Sudanese when it comes to Darfur. The killing just continues. The gov't sponsored Jangaweed continue to rape,pillage and murder. Many see the Chinese as the last chance to put any real pressure on them to stop it.

That's why China is under pressure to do something now. They trade heavily with them. They are the last best chance to put pressure on them. They happen to be hosting the next Olympics. They have an incentive to get into the good graces of the rest of the world.

So some see the confluence of these factors as a rare opportunity to pressure China to join with the rest of the civilized world and try to stop this genocide.

Is it fair to China? I don't necessarily disagree with you Mike that it may not be. Is it insensitive? I don't think so given the stakes. Is it China's responsibility alone? No, of course not. But they happen to be the entity with the most potential to do some good.

The good news is that the pressure has actually started to have some effect. China is slowly starting to change their stance on the issue. As we all know, change in China is slow. Those asking them to move faster know there isn't much time left.