Calling Cell phones in China

Every time this comes up there are lots of options.

I changed my home phone to italkbb (www.italkbb.com) so I can call china for free, and my wife can call me for free.

It is a good deal for us because we talk a hour every morning, and a hour every evening, and then when ever we need to in between.

Other people use skype, calling cards, other voip providers, all kinds of options.

Something I was just pondering this morning is getting a pay as you go phone from a local vendor. My cell phone is a T-Mobile ToGo phone and it has no roaming fees. Although I think international calls are a bit more per minute than domestic calls.

[edit] Ok, maybe a bad iDea. T-Mobiles rate for calling China is almost two bucks a minute. And with international roaming added on top of that for someone calling from there! So I would imagine that other carriers would be similarly bad.[/edit]

Edited by Smitty (see edit history)

Ok cool, I think I have everything under control now...All Kun has is a cell phone now, so I wasn't sure if the same rules still applied or if I had to do anything different as far as cards go.

Hey Zack, something to check on that might save your Kun a few yuan.

My wife only has a cell phone in China, service is with China Mobile.

Her contract is such that she is only charged for outgoing text and calls.

What we found was ITalkBB has 2 ways to call USA, one she dials the main number, enters my bb# and is connected .. thus an outgoing call charged to her.

The other way is a number she dials, then it hangs up and calls her back. She enters the bb# and were connected. This way, even though she is calling me, it is an inbound call on her phone, so she isn't charged.

Just a cost saving idea I thought I'd pass along.

I always called Yu's Cell using Skype Ip Phone service from my computer. Cost 2 cents per minute. We still do to call Mum.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

What is the best (and by best I mean cheapest) way to call a cell phone in China from America? Anybody have any experience with this?

I've looked at the calling cards links in the pinned Comm. topic, but I'm still at a loss as to what I should do.

I have tried almost all of those listed here, with mixed results! I finally just added international calling to my Verizon cell and land line. The land line is $4.00 a month plus 10 cents a minute. My cell is 29-49 cents a minute with no fee. The calling cards I get from China town route through the Consulate here and are $16.00 for 900 minutes! We also call each other on MSN, pc to pc, free!!

man, we use msn, but that only calls the computer.

i once set up a phone dialer box for someone about 4 years ago, and i am pretty sure it was free and used the broadband connection to call. i'll have to look into that again and see if i'm right.

anyone else heard of using some sort of phone dialer box? it's external to the pc, but uses the internet connection to establish a connection.

Guest Rob & Jin

I always called Yu's Cell using Skype Ip Phone service from my computer. Cost 2 cents per minute. We still do to call Mum.

yep, call her cell using skype, its cheap. Jin uses a ip card to call here ridiculously cheap. But to be honest msn messenger is free, plus you get to see eachother. :ok: