Consequences of getting caught bringing food back

On all of my trips back from China, both when I was visiting my wife, and after she got her visa and on our recent trip home to visit family I've always brought back lots of food, even though I knew it was prohibited. I've never been caught, and while I've seen people who have and assumed that they would of course have the food taken away, I didn't know if there were any other consequences. Yesterday a friend from China came to visit with my wife and I and was amazed at all the food we had brought back. I asked her what happened besides losing the food if customs caught you with it and she told me that as well as losing the food that there were large fines assessed! <_< Can anyone enlighten me on the risks I've been taking so I can judge if I want to push my luck in the future? I am talking about packaged, processed foods mainly. Yak meat, soy milk powder (China has better than any I've found in the US), teas, tea flavored plums and other fruits and even flowers, but also hua jiao, and other spices, and occasionally pickled vegetables from relatives. I never let my wife carry any of the items, she's still a conditional resident. What happens to a person if they're caught bringing back food? Xie, xie for any that can advise me! :lol:

i have taken food there and also brought food back with me....have never had a problem with it....all was packaged and sealed food...but i am sure that if you tried to bring back fresh food ie, oranges, banana's...things not processed and packaged, then i am sure they would have a problem with it...what they would do, i do not know...i presume they would confiscate it and put it in a sealed container for fear of introducing an air born pathogen or bacteria of some sort that may be harmful to the agriculture industry here

Yak Meat? Holy Crap! I thought my better-half brought back strange items! You got me beat all to hell!

However, one man's meat is another man's poison!. Anyway, IMHO, your yak meat will fall under the brief excerpt from US Customs:

¡°¡­Fish and Wildlife

Certain fish and wildlife, and products made from them are subject to import and export restrictions, prohibitions, permits or certificates, and quarantine requirements. We recommend that you contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service before you depart if you plan to import or export any of the following:

¡¤ Wild birds, land or marine mammals, reptiles, fish, shellfish, mollusks, or invertebrates.

¡¤ Any part or product of the above, such as skins, tusks, bone, feathers, or eggs.

¡¤ Products or articles manufactured from wildlife or fish.

Endangered species of wildlife, and products made from them, generally may not be imported or exported. You will need a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to import virtually all types of ivory, unless it is from a warthog. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has so many restrictions and prohibitions on various kinds of ivory¡ªAsian elephant, African elephant, whale, rhinoceros, seal, pre-Endangered Species Act, post-CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species), and many others¡ªthat they urge you to contact them before you even think of acquiring ivory in a foreign country. You may contact them at (800) 358-2104.

You may import an object made of ivory if it is an antique. To be an antique the ivory must be at least 100 years old. You will need documentation that authenticates the age of the ivory. You may import other antiques containing wildlife parts with the same condition, but they must be accompanied by documentation proving they are at least 100 years old. Certain other requirements for antiques may apply.

If you plan to buy such things as tortoiseshell jewelry, or articles made from whalebone, ivory, skins, or fur, contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Division of Law Enforcement, P.O. Box 3247, Arlington, VA 22203-3247, or call (800) 358-2104 or visit www.fws.gov ( U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service ) . Hunters can get information on the limitations for importing and exporting migratory game birds from this office as well. Ask for their pamphlet, Facts About Federal Wildlife Laws.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has designated specific ports of entry to handle fish and wildlife entries. If you plan to import anything discussed in this section, please contact CBP. CBP will tell you about designated ports and send you the brochure Pets and Wildlife, which describes the regulations CBP enforces for all agencies that oversee the importation of animals.

Some states have fish and wildlife laws and regulations that are stricter than federal laws and regulations. If you are returning to such a state, be aware that the stricter state laws and regulations have priority. Similarly, the federal government does not allow you to import wild animals into the United States that were taken, killed, sold, possessed, or exported from another country if any of these acts violated foreign laws¡­.¡±

Here is the link: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation..._restricted.xml

To give you a small brief, my wife was threatened by Customs officials, with fines, etc that your wife mentioned. They use a cute little beagle at most ports of entry and it is designed specifically to find food. My wife was discovered by this cute little mutt, when she had two oranges that she brought with her from China, to eat on the flight, to supplement those fantastic airline meals.

I can relate that I had a professor way back when who went to safaris in Africe. The import of hides, horns and meat was extremely costly, a lot of hassle, etc, etc.

The choice is yours. IMHO, depends on how bad Customs wants to push the issue! Myself I wouldn¡¯t want the hassles. Spices, teas, and the ilk probably not many problems. Prepared foods; now that is a completely different issue.

I brought back commercially packaged foods (no exotics like Yak meat). I declare them and state that they are commercially packaged. The officials have commented but have never asked to inspect the food.

I should have added one small item that Jim raises. I know that meats can be pre-packaged (e.g. vacuum sealed, with Canadian export seals etc. I have done this from Canada, and as with Jim, I claimed all items. They would check for the seals and a few questions to me) However, as Jim stated this was typical Chinese pork and beef jerky, pressed duck and the like. I personally feel yak will fall outside of this realm.

I have never heard of domestically raised yak, for consumption. Doesn't mean that they don't have it. The professor that I mentioned previously and I should have been clearer, was bringing wild meat from Africa back into the US (inclusive or horns, heads, hides and meat). Special permits were required and they were checked all long the way. I believe that he was in Tanzania, Uganda and Kenya. Some of the meat was Cape Buffalo. It was sealed and packaged in Africa and had appropriate seals attached. However, the point is, it still required a permit.

Edited by Cerberus (see edit history)

Last trip we brought back dried seafood. I declared it to customs agent when asked and he said it was not problem. He said, they are worried about fresh friuts and certain meats, fresh or processed. Not sure exactly what is on the list, but I wouldn't lie about it.

When my wife first came here, we were tagged for an agricultural inspection. We had no worries, but there was a Japanese student in front of us who got caught. She had just a little processed meat in her bag. Not very much, only enough to be classified as just a snack. She started the trick all foreigners pull and all of a sudden couldn't understand English. Before, I heard her talking with some others in broken English so I guess she understood enough. The inspector called his supervisor over. Explained to him that he asked her about any food, was pretty sure she understood and she had clearly stated "No Food". He showed his supervisor the small package he found and that he wanted to fine her $100 dollars. The supervisor said, ok. I can imagine the more you have, the stiffer the fines.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

I have brought back the sealed type of food many have talked about here and had no problem. I also always bring back two big bags of Chinese candy for my two sons, the kind that you need an extra bag to carry on with you! I did get stopped getting on the plane at HK with candy that was in jelly from, duh on my part.

The cavity search by the two young Chinese girls really bothered me though! :P

Now the two ducks I tried to bring back with me raised an eyebrow or so!! B) :ph34r:

wow yak meat... i'd love to try some of that.

yellow raisens and goqi berries, but both in sealed bags.

alot of medicines though.

never checked anything in because i was unaware i even had it with me.

i know tell it to the judge.

mama packed my suitcases your honor i swear!! :headbang:

i have been busted with chinese alchohol, beijing airport will confiscate it. just tell you that your not aloud to leave with liquor.

Edited by izus (see edit history)

I and we have brought back a variety of items that I even questioned myself. I was amazed at the things I had doubted in my mind that would be ok, but were just fine with the inspector, not a problem at all.

If the little guy on your shoulder is making you have second thinks, just declare it and let the inspector make the finale decision. Why worry about nothing and if all is good, next time you will know you can bring even more, or not at all.

I have seen that beagle at work on 2 different arrivals back home, he dosen't miss a thing.

Let me tell you first hand about my guys (hunting dogs). From 25 yards away, they can put their nose up in the air and wind a bird buried under grass and snow. They can smell the water surface and the find and retrieve a duck from 8 foot below. They can track half hour old bird footprints on frozen dirt for a quarter mile and find their prize.

Trust me on this, you will not slip even the smallest of morsels of anything that beagle is trained to find through the checkpoint if you happen to be the dogs target. He will be nose to bag or pocket and his nose does not lie. Plus the resonating howl he will make draws everyones eyes to the target too. Talk about the person wanting to become invisible from all the added attention.

Bottom line, declare it if you have doubt or worry. It is no big deal and only adds another 10 minutes to your arrival.

I and we have brought back a variety of items that I even questioned myself. I was amazed at the things I had doubted in my mind that would be ok, but were just fine with the inspector, not a problem at all.

If the little guy on your shoulder is making you have second thinks, just declare it and let the inspector make the finale decision. Why worry about nothing and if all is good, next time you will know you can bring even more, or not at all.

I have seen that beagle at work on 2 different arrivals back home, he dosen't miss a thing.

Let me tell you first hand about my guys (hunting dogs). From 25 yards away, they can put their nose up in the air and wind a bird buried under grass and snow. They can smell the water surface and the find and retrieve a duck from 8 foot below. They can track half hour old bird footprints on frozen dirt for a quarter mile and find their prize.

Trust me on this, you will not slip even the smallest of morsels of anything that beagle is trained to find through the checkpoint if you happen to be the dogs target. He will be nose to bag or pocket and his nose does not lie. Plus the resonating howl he will make draws everyones eyes to the target too. Talk about the person wanting to become invisible from all the added attention.

Bottom line, declare it if you have doubt or worry. It is no big deal and only adds another 10 minutes to your arrival.

Mike, fully agree with your second paragraph. If you have to ask if it's legal, then more than likely it fall on the dark side!

I saw that several times in the OP. However, I let "sleeping dogs lie!"

YAK MEAT! My wife is from Sichuan. Does the US allow pandas to enter the US, through carry-on luggage, to be trained for appearance at barmistvahs and weddings? LOL!

The yak meat is packaged in shrinkwrap thick plastic and is available all over Chengdu, even in the Walmart near my wife's aunt and uncle's where we always stay. It's much like beef jerky, really quite delicious, and comes in spicy and normal soy sauce jerk type seasoning. They do raise them domestically in Sichuan, Yunnan, and Tibet, and I imagine elsewhere also.

Thanks for the posts and advice, I will declare what I have in future and hope for the best, as it sounds like they are definitely not as restrictive as I had imagined. Xie, xie to all and next time you're in China do try to find the dried yak meat for a delicious treat, particularly good with a cold beer! :ph34r:

Yes, this is very true; separate from the drug detecting K-9's, who have no difficulty in sniffing out most drugs, from luggage, and spare tires in vehicles; these FSB's are also very able !! I saw one of these Beagles in action, two years ago, when I returned from Mexico, via Phoenix, AZ airport.

Most people don't realize that in addition to the superior sensitivity of the nose, a K-9 is also capable of separating different odors, one from another. This is why the drug runners on the Interstates, who try and mask the drugs with other chemical smells, always fail !!!

While food is not in the same category as illegal drugs, from a criminal justice standpoint, there are some legitimate concerns from the argiculture community in the US, who do not want unwelcome pests to arrive via someones backpack or bag.