AOS/EAD Timelines

Congratulations Don. We were recomended for approval also 11/3/03, but we are still waiting for an additional name/security check. Case is officially listed as pending. Has been four months since our interview.

Still pending!! Without the stamp in the Passport we had to pay $110 for AP. What a racquet, just to continue to bleed us for more money

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, just checked the old Atlanta USCIS web site to check on their progress in the last 30 days in terms of processing AOS applications. As of the latest update, February 13, they were still processing applications received on July 9, 2001. :redblob:

Same as they were in December and January. What does this mean? Have they stopped processing AOS in Atlanta? :greenblob:

• 1 month later...
End of October file AOS and EAD by mail in Portland.

Fingerprint fee returned about a week later.

1/20/04 received receipt for AOS (estimate is 9 months to complete).

1/22/04 appointment for EAD.

2/23/04 passed interview, pending security check

News at last - PDX ROCKS! Hear that, Carl?

Today received the notice from BCIS that as of March 12th, Xiahong is a conditional permanent resident. She has 21 months before filing for removal of conditions. YIPPIE!!!!

Now, the letter said that she should receive her green card within the next 12 months. IF she needs the I-551 stamp in her passport, she needs to go back to PDX within 30 days and turn in her EAD card for the stamp. Then she can travel without AP and the stamp serves as a green card for employment. We'll probably head up there next week sometime.

3/23/04 I-551 stamp in passport and turned in EAD card.

3/31/04 Received "Welcome to the US" letter. Your status is registered and if you don't receive your green card in 3 weeks - call this number.

2 Year green card received 4/6/04.

Great news. Congrats Don. I am convinced that they process one application per year down here, maybe every two years. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
Out of the frying pan and into the fire.  Having completed a 1+ year ordeal to get the K-1/K-2 for Jingwen and the kids, I am now back in the queue for AOS - sent the docs today.  Unfortunately, Atlanta will handle the paperwork. :o

Good luck with Atlanta Frank. Yer gonna need it. :o

Just out of curiosity, checked the USCIS web site to see how Atlanta was progressing with AOS.

Still claim to be on April 1st, 2001 applications. That's right at 37 months folks. I, for one, cannot fathom what they are doing (or not doing) over there.

It truly boggles the mind. :o :o :D

Just think, Mick. Li will get a 10-year card because it is taking so long. Maybe she will even be a citizen before the AOS interivew?  B)

Based on the speed things are processing, you may very well be right Don! :ph34r: :(

Wow... When I applied for AOS for my ex wife back in June 2002, we came up for interview in early July 2003. Of course, we were already divorced before our interview came up...

She found a lawyer who assured her that with his help, she could still stay in the country based on it. When the interview came up, he suddenly was nowhere to be found and sent one of his paralegals instead. Not that it would have mattered, as the agent took one look at her there with a "lawyer" and not her husband and said "You're divorced? Sorry, this is out of my hands." Denied her in about 30 seconds. Of course her lawyer had said it was "no problem" and he had handled cases worse than hers, and never had a denial... charged her $3000 up front too. Of course, you don't have to answer for your bullshit if your clients who find out the truth are quickly deported.

Personally I didn't care one way or the other. She had lived in the US for 5 years, and I hoped for the best for her. Our divorce pretty well crushed me, but our marriage was completely legit - and I didn't HATE her for it. Though I still felt like if she had got to stay based on our marriage, that I would have been a tool, even if it wasn't the original intent. That changed when she called me and asked me to reaffirm our vows (anull our divorce basically) so she could stay in the country. She even said her lawyer told her it was completely legal... and that the INS officer had suggested it!!! HAHAHA have you ever heard such a load of crap? I don't know if I was more offended at the idea she would want to bring our marriage back as some kind of zombified undead mockery of itself just to get to stay in the states, and not go home to mommy and daddy, or that she thought I was dumb enough to believe it wasn't a felony...

She managed to get sponsored for a work visa before she was ordered to leave the country, but after 6 months of working there has quit her job and is now illegal. If this somehow reflects on me in my current application... well, let's just say I know where she lives.

Wow...  When I applied for AOS for my ex wife back in June 2002, we came up for interview in early July 2003.  Of course, we were already divorced before our interview came up...

She found a lawyer who assured her that with his help, she could still stay in the country based on it.  When the interview came up, he suddenly was nowhere to be found and sent one of his paralegals instead.  Not that it would have mattered, as the agent took one look at her there with a "lawyer" and not her husband and said "You're divorced?  Sorry, this is out of my hands."  Denied her in about 30 seconds.  Of course her lawyer had said it was "no problem" and he had handled cases worse than hers, and never had a denial...  charged her $3000 up front too.  Of course, you don't have to answer for your bullshit if your clients who find out the truth are quickly deported.

Personally I didn't care one way or the other.  She had lived in the US for 5 years, and I hoped for the best for her.  Our divorce pretty well crushed me, but our marriage was completely legit - and I didn't HATE her for it.  Though I still felt like if she had got to stay based on our marriage, that I would have been a tool, even if it wasn't the original intent.  That changed when she called me and asked me to reaffirm our vows (anull our divorce basically) so she could stay in the country.  She even said her lawyer told her it was completely legal... and that the INS officer had suggested it!!!  HAHAHA  have you ever heard such a load of crap?  I don't know if I was more offended at the idea she would want to bring our marriage back as some kind of zombified undead mockery of itself just to get to stay in the states, and not go home to mommy and daddy, or that she thought I was dumb enough to believe it wasn't a felony... 

She managed to get sponsored for a work visa before she was ordered to leave the country, but after 6 months of working there has quit her job and is now illegal.  If this somehow reflects on me in my current application... well, let's just say I know where she lives.

Maybe I'm not right, but I heard that if u applied AOS or visa for ur ex within 5 years, u are not legitimate to apply for another spouse or fiance visa

I had never heard that anywhere, but consulted a lawyer anyway. I was assured that there were no such restrictions. I'm not sure if that's in all cases, or only because I didn't bring her to the US on a visa. She had been here for 5 years already, and we had been married a year by the time our application was received. I'm no expert, which is why I went the lawyer route. It may very well mean that my case is scrutinized much more closely however. Any delays, requests for more information, etc it may cause will be during the USCIS phase. Luckily I'm applying through the VSC, so will know fairly shortly if I'll hit a bump based on that.

Any problems, and I guess I'll be looking at a future short career as an English teacher in China. I'll have no regrets.

Now, I may be wrong, but I HAVE heard that if a foreign national gets a greencard through marriage, then divorces during the "conditional" phase and has to leave the country, that he/she would be ineligable for 5 years. Never heard of it working the other way around though.

Guest Zizi

Hello, everybody. I am in Atlanta. I posted the files out in Jan., and I received the receipt on Jan.22, but even now I haven't receive the EAD. I called INS to ask them about it, and they asked me to go to local office. I am going there next week. But I don't know which office I should go to. I remember I went to the office on Buford Hwy to take the finger printer. But someone told me that maybe I should go to INS office located at downtown. I am confused now. Anybody can help me ? Which one is correct ? I need address. :ph34r: :huh: