AOS/EAD Timelines

Guest Long_strider

Went to the local SSA office today.

Had application for SSN

EAD card (he made a copy)

Birth certificate with English translation (gave it back)

Certified Marriage Certificate (for name change) (gave it back)

Took about ten minutes.

SSA Representative said that it would take 4-6 weeks to process. I asked why so long? He said because it had to go to immigration for verification first. He then gave us a business card with a phone number saying that we could call in 2 weeks and may be able to obtain the assigned social security number, but the card would not be mailed for 4-6 weeks.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with the initial process we all endured, there is absolutely no consistency between offices. For example, San Francisco BCIS cashed all our checks, including the two fingerprint checks we had mailed for Mia and her 12 year-old son, but our appointment letter for her fingerprinting only mentioned her.

Still, at least it only took two months between mailing and Mia's EAD.

Brian

are you complaining ?? :D :lol:

Just kidding !

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update: AP received on August 5th, dated July 29. Good for one year. Things are beginning to move. Now have SSN and AP, but still no word on EAD. We are about twenty days short of the 90 day time frame Atlanta BCIS gave us. We wait....

• 2 weeks later...
EAD appointment scheduled in Atlanta for Tuesday, August 26.

WOW !!! You're on the roll my man !!! Congrats !

:blink:

Any news on AOS interview in our lifetime? ;)

None so far Eric. But, again, they told us the AOS interview would be within 36 months. :huh:

How's it going with Miami BCIS? :unsure: ;)

:(

Any news on AOS interview in our lifetime? ;)

None so far Eric. But, again, they told us the AOS interview would be within 36 months. :D

How's it going with Miami BCIS? :unsure: ;)

Mick

Miami is slow as hell.

Tell us we have to come down to file change of address..You can't have ANY questions anwered by phone with those characters.. Already did by certified mail as per their website...+ Change at KY center....

One more week and we'll bite the bullet and go hang out on Biscayne Bvld for a few hours ... Just to make sure the AOS thing doesn't get burried under 6 ft of FL hot sand

Other than that.... S.N.A.F.U... :D.. but not yet F.U.B.A.R

Update,

Just received a letter from BCIS that Ella will go to BCIS in Indianapolis to have her fingerprints done the week of Sept. 1. She received receipt June 25th. So just about 8 weeks, I can't complain.

Tine & Ella

Indianapolis

Good luck to you guys Tine. It is interesting how each office works differently. They sent us a letter (BCIS Atlanta) that included, among other things, the statement that K1 did not require fingerprints. Chances are they will do the fingerprints anyway at EAD appointment on Tuesday.

B)

Any news on AOS interview in our lifetime? :P

None so far Eric. But, again, they told us the AOS interview would be within 36 months. :P

How's it going with Miami BCIS? :lol: ;)

Mick

Miami is slow as hell.

Tell us we have to come down to file change of address..You can't have ANY questions anwered by phone with those characters.. Already did by certified mail as per their website...+ Change at KY center....

One more week and we'll bite the bullet and go hang out on Biscayne Bvld for a few hours ... Just to make sure the AOS thing doesn't get burried under 6 ft of FL hot sand

Other than that.... S.N.A.F.U... :D.. but not yet F.U.B.A.R

Eric, I know all too well how slow Miami is. I worked in social services in Dade County for fifteen years and often, way too often, had to deal with the characters at the office there. Never once got a straight answer on the first try. <_<

Entered USA together February 4, 2003

Applied for temp EAD card February 7, 2003, received temp EAD same 2/7/03, day.

Applied for SSN February 10, 2003, received it in the mail February 17, 2003.

Married 3/15/03, GREAT DAY!!!!

Filed AOS 4/24/03 with three seperate checks. One for EAD, Fingerprinting and I-485.

Received EAD card good for one year same day 4/24/03.

Received first AOS interview date of 11/3/03, before I left BCIS ON

4/24/03.

Fingerprinting completed April 29, 2003.

BOSTON DOES NOT SEND OUR RECEIPT OF AOS - FILING!!

Oh yes got to BCIS at 2:30 AM the day (4/24/03) we filed AOS, and there were already about twenty people ahead of us..

Wife Entered USA on 6/29/03. Received temp EAD card at JFK airport custom. Took 3 hrs to get out of custom. They misplaced her passport.

Applied for SSN 7/7/03, received it in the mail 10 days later.

Married 7/27/03 at Coventy, RI (no blood test is required).

Camp out at 3 AM (3rd in line) and filed AOS 9/8/03 with three separate checks. One for EAD, Fingerprinting and I-485 (one would have been fine).

Received AOS interview date of 3/25/03 and EAD card good for one year same day 9/8/03. Left BCIS at 9:30 AM.

• 2 weeks later...

here's ours:

Date Entered the Country: Mar 16th,2003

Type of Visa: K-1

Marriage Date (if applicable): APRIL 1ST,2003

Date Received SSN:soon after marriage,don't remember the date

Date Filed AOS/EAD/AP: May 18th,2003

Filed in person or by mail? In person

Where filed? BOSTON BCIS

Receipt number received? the same day of application

EAD Granted: the same day of application

First Appointment Scheduled: Sept 2nd, got Temporary Green Card on the day