Japanese Encephalitis in Guangdong

Do you have any articles on this outbreak?  This greatly concerns me, since the general recommendation for Japanese Encephalitis is that there is risk involved with the vaccination, so there should be sufficient justification (risk/benefit analysis) before getting the vaccination. 

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/jenceph.htm

PJ,

I just heard about it this morning-early when we were both on line and forgot to mention it. It was on CNN. I believe there were either 8 cases or 8 dead-can't remember which. :)

If anyone has info on this, I would be grateful as well.  I will be heading into Guangdong in the near future.  I have been debating on whether or not to get this vaccination. 

P.J.

The Japanese Encephalitis vaccine is specific. At this time of year, if you are going 'in country', I would reccomend it. It is passed on by mosquitoes and the rice paddies are a good breeding ground. :)

What Next???

Just when it looks like they're finally getting a handle on SARS, now this! At any rate, there is a vaccine. I think it would also be advisable to buy a couple of bottles of 100 % Deet and take them with you to China!

I'm planning to go to GZ in August, and I WILL be smelling like Deep Woods OFF!!! :lol:

I hope my sweetie doesn't complain! If she does, I'll just tell her that it's my new cologne-- Eau de S.C. Johnson & Sons! :)

Is the virus as highly contagious as the virus of sars? I doubt on it. People are concerned a lot about sars mainly because of its very high contagiousness besides its dead effect. I dont think to get japanes encephasic will be that easy because it's not respiration disease. Respiration disease is much easier to get because people need to breathe. Besides, I have heard mosquito can help transfer such virus for many years. Anway, we will see.

Sarah

Guest blsqueaky

While I was in GZ for the last month, they were talking about this alot on TV, such as cleaning out standing water, wearing light clothing, repellant, etc. I saw this mostly on the english speaking stations, which was all of 2, but they were a little worried.

Is the virus as highly contagious as the virus of sars? I doubt on it. People are concerned a lot about sars mainly because of its very high contagiousness besides its dead effect. I dont think to get japanes encephasic will be that easy because it's not respiration disease. Respiration disease is much easier to get because people need to breathe. Besides, I have heard mosquito can help transfer such virus for many years. Anway, we will see.

Sarah

More so. :)

It has made it to the Chinese language news broadcasts now. Seems to be primarily affecting children, but that may be because they are out of school and more likely to be outside and get bitten right now. The transmission is by mosquito bite.

At the time I came to China the recommendation was that the vaccine was not necessary for southern China. Apparently this has changed. The vaccine takes three innoculations and three months if I remember correctly. Also it was an expensive one. I went to a university center that specialized in travel medicine and they recommended prophilactic medication for malaria in southern China. I know that there is some controversy over just how necessary that really is.

BTW, SARS is pretty much gone for right now in China, but I expect it will be back. The worst problems connected to SARS are that even a fever or the flu may get you thrown into a quarantine facility and if you do get SARS although most people recover, it is causing a 60 - 90 day hospital stay. The Shanghai English news yesterday was all aglow over the first SARS case in Shanghai just now getting out of the hospital. Pretty well hidden in the glowing report was the fact that he had been in the hospital for 90 days.

50,000 Americans killed in traffic accidents last year, 400,000 injured. No vaccine.

Let's keep risk in perspective.

I live in Illinois which was the hardest hit state for West Nile virus last year. Over 200 dead. Come to think of it, I live near a marshy area which breeds mosquitoes in large quantities. I'm careful but not hypersensitive. You should be too.