Hi all,

I was feeling very confident about this aspect of the process, but I have seen two cases rejected lately due to lack of evidence. So, just to be sure, My question is this: How much is enough?

Photos? 12? More? ( We have photos from each of my four trips to China)

Emails - is 20 enough? (we could easily print three hundred - is that a good idea?) or just a waste of paper? What about emails from other members of my family?

We have dozens of phone cards but no phone bills since I have never called her directly this way.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

dave

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've made up several sheets of photos from our trips, a couple phone bills, some copies of airline tickets and hotel bills. But I think the most powerful evidence will be my passport which is full of entry/exit stamps.

We will also take a picture of ourselves standing outside the consulate that day (whenever that day may be) and she can take in the digital camera.

Overdoing it? Sure, but what the heck.

I doubt very many people get rejected for lack of evidence (don't KNOW that though) and I think copies of plane tickets from prior trips (as well as the current one) are pretty convincing.

I would include money transfer receipts (Western Union), holiday cards and personal letters. Emails are not really good evidences since they can be artificially created. You should be able to get phone logs from phone cards (call the customer service line). Onesuite.com has detailed phone logs.

Also, if you contacted GZ numerous times through fax, email, or phone that will help as well. They keep a tally of the number of times you inquire.

You will not be able to take in a digital camera. Only paper-work, because there are two security checkpoints. First at the manned-gate, and another checkpoint after you enter the Consulate compound. So, it is better to take a dated photo in front of the Consulate. However, any dated photos of the couple will suffice.

Giving your US passport to your fiancee to take in with her will add major evidence points. My US passport was the first thing the Consular officer, who interviewed my fiancee, looked at and that set the tone of the interview. After that he just looked at the first picture, which was a picture of us and her family, in our mini-photo album and that was it. Although, I printed Onesuite call printouts, a few email printouts, Western Union receipts.

The main thing is to be there and give her your passport and have her take it out accidently so that the interviewer will know that you are outside ready to appeal a bad decision. They hate the extra work!!!! :unsure:

R2D2 is right about being there for the interview. That is the most important thing, because many of the workers at the Consulate are afraid of dealing with Americans, because they don't know what people you know that could cost them their jobs.

Another good idea to bring is any and all communications that you have had with government officals, like Harty's emails, congressmen's letters or emails. I have one folder of nothing but all communications with government officials over this visa business.

In answer to your question Don, yes we have clearance - confirmed by GZ now just waiting for interview date.

For the rest, remember that GZ is looking for proof of your relationship, not the hardship of the visa process. I wouldn't volunteer all the e-mails and such to GZ, Harty etc. Those don't have anything to do with the quality of your relationship to your honey. Phone bills, pictures, airline receipts - those support the relationship.

Hi all,

As far as evidence goes, it really depends on who does the interviewing. My fiance had her interview during March and I thought there was enough evidence, but she was denied and was asked for additional evidence. Calling cards are not accepted as proof of evidence and I tried getting logs for it with no luck whatsoever from those calling card companies. I'm now using bigzoo and pincity and every now and then call direct to get detail phone logs...

As for pictures, they asked me for more... Guess 20-30 wasn't enough... Arghh.. went back during March but got same results when I went into the consulate. Not sure what I can do now other than to write to my congressman or something...

The officer was a Black lady who refused to look at any other additional documents such as me wiring her money on a regular basis... Talk about luck eh? My cousin's husband's interview with some White male went smoothly. Asked to see phone bills and there was nothing on the phone bill except just a payment, however he accepted it. Pictures, didn't even look at them except 1. So it really depends on who it is doing the interviewing.

Anyways, just sharing what bad luck and experiences I had... And that's one of the reason why I haven't been back on this site till recently. Just wasn't in the mood to even think about the fiasco and problems I had to go through.

I notice that the lady seems to stress the importance of pictures, phone bills with detail logs, and letters that we write each other. That's a bit impossible for letters. I can only write in English and my fiance in Chinese. Arghh!

Hi all,

As far as evidence goes, it really depends on who does the interviewing.  My fiance had her interview during March and I thought there was enough evidence, but she was denied and was asked for additional evidence.  Calling cards are not accepted as proof of evidence and I tried getting logs for it with no luck whatsoever from those calling card companies.  I'm now using bigzoo and pincity and every now and then call direct to get detail phone logs... 

As for pictures, they asked me for more...  Guess 20-30 wasn't enough...  Arghh..  went back during March but got same results when I went into the consulate.  Not sure what I can do now other than to write to my congressman or something... 

The officer was a Black lady who refused to look at any other additional documents such as me wiring her money on a regular basis...  Talk about luck eh?  My cousin's husband's interview with some White male went smoothly.  Asked to see phone bills and there was nothing on the phone bill except just a payment, however he accepted it.  Pictures, didn't even look at them except 1.  So it really depends on who it is doing the interviewing. 

Anyways, just sharing what bad luck and experiences I had...  And that's one of the reason why I haven't been back on this site till recently.  Just wasn't in the mood to even think about the fiasco and problems I had to go through.

I notice that the lady seems to stress the importance of pictures, phone bills with detail logs, and letters that we write each other.  That's a bit impossible for letters.  I can only write in English and my fiance in Chinese.  Arghh!

Hi sleeping dragon,

are you k3 or k1? what happened after? did u appeal? I would definately get your Senator involved.

We have 230 emails, all printed, 130 photos, and about 50 phone cards. there are no phone logs since we didn't use direct phone services ever. we also never wrote letters since email is just faster and more reliable. It will have to be enough.

Dave

Hi Sleepingdragon,

Your story really makes me angry. If I read your post correctly, you have been to China on at least two occasions. Also, you went in person to the consulate to contest the denial.

It sounds to me like you and your fiancee are the victim of an embittered interviewer taking advantage of her position in the state department.

I truly hope and pray that you can find someone who will help you overturn this unjust decision.

I'm working with a lawyer to do our K-3 visa. She said to me most of the work she does ends up being at the interview process. She says invariably the people working at consulates are under-trained. If a client doesn't pass the interview for some reason she calls the interviewer up and details to them the requirements and laws pertaining to what is necessary to receive a visa. Her words were, "Sometimes I have to educate the consulate workers."

My lawyer ain't cheap... but then the price of this process taking anything longer than it has to far out weighs the cost in my book. (I'll add, she's got no sway at all with the security checks.)

For evidence of relationship, I was told by attorney:

"What they want to see is a valid relationship that shows true love."

Phone bills, copies of airline flights/itineraries, pictures, and letters/cards.

The more pictures, letters you have, the more it can illustrate the love you have for one another. We will bring all pictures (4-500+), letters, cards, and emails (400+), since I print all my email including all header information, i.e., ip address, to, from, date, etc.,

Women zhunbei hao le.

Hi all,

As far as evidence goes, it really depends on who does the interviewing.  My fiance had her interview during March and I thought there was enough evidence, but she was denied and was asked for additional evidence.  Calling cards are not accepted as proof of evidence and I tried getting logs for it with no luck whatsoever from those calling card companies.  I'm now using bigzoo and pincity and every now and then call direct to get detail phone logs... 

As for pictures, they asked me for more...  Guess 20-30 wasn't enough...  Arghh..  went back during March but got same results when I went into the consulate.  Not sure what I can do now other than to write to my congressman or something... 

The officer was a Black lady who refused to look at any other additional documents such as me wiring her money on a regular basis...  Talk about luck eh?  My cousin's husband's interview with some White male went smoothly.  Asked to see phone bills and there was nothing on the phone bill except just a payment, however he accepted it.  Pictures, didn't even look at them except 1.  So it really depends on who it is doing the interviewing. 

Anyways, just sharing what bad luck and experiences I had...  And that's one of the reason why I haven't been back on this site till recently.  Just wasn't in the mood to even think about the fiasco and problems I had to go through.

I notice that the lady seems to stress the importance of pictures, phone bills with detail logs, and letters that we write each other.  That's a bit impossible for letters.  I can only write in English and my fiance in Chinese.  Arghh!

I am really sorry to hear that you encountered such a problem at the interview.

The "black lady" used to be a regular interviewer at GZ and was infamous in the Chinese community for denying petitions. I am told that she has a really bad attitude problem. Supposedly, according to the street rumours, there were so many complaints filed against her, including charges of racial discrimination, that she was removed from interviewing. Apparently, with the overload of cases, she is back. Shenyang has a "black man" who is equally infamous and who denied our daughter's petition for a tourist visa this summer. She was well prepared also including understanding that she must return to China so that she could later apply for her permanent immigration status and become a citizen in the future.

Generally, the interview goes quite smoothly if you have reasonable proof of a relationship. What concerns me is that I have heard of a number of denials lately and I am wondering if the current mood of Congress is having an effect on how easy it is to pass an interview?