America is boring

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I informed my fiance that it would be a different, and allot less congested way of life here my part of California. She stated that she doesn't like the crowded conditions in Chongqing and that she thinks she will like it here. Well, we will see.

One thing that probably makes a huge difference is their age. A older woman that has lived in the big nasty city her whole life will probably welcome the slower lifestyle, clean air, and trees, but a young Shanghainese might not be keen on the idea of not having shopping districts at her feet.

Edited by mchina34 (see edit history)

One thing that probably makes a huge difference is their age. A older woman that has lived in the big nasty city her whole life will probably welcome the slower lifestyle, clean air, and trees, but a young Shanghainese might not be keen on the idea of not having shopping districts at her feet.

I think there is a lot of truth to this. Also many women of the older generation suffered more hardships during the cultural revolution that helps them appreciate a more calm and orderly life.

knowing that chinese-speak can often be indirect meaning... I would take the idea of "america is boring" as the first reaction to a less populated, less busy lifestyle where the individual is looking out for themself... the chinese are typically used to the opposite.

I will say that living among chinese in the US typically raises the activity in life... I guess that is my way of saying that once I leave MP, there will be a side of me that misses 8 people living in a two room apartment... with one bathroom...

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

We lived in Murrieta, California when my wife first arrived. Lots of people, lots of traffic and a high Asian influence. No friends, no contacts... nothing at all for my wife in the beginning. We moved to East Texas where the Asian population was measured at approx. 3% and this included all Asian races, not just Chinese. I'm thinking, "dammit, this better work out or else" :o

I've mentioned several times in this forum on how well my wife has taken to East Texas. She has a great church and a foray of friends of several different cultures, including Chinese. It has been a Godsend for us. The kids have also flourished since coming here. My daughter Lulu says... "Ni Hao Y'all" and "I reckon so Baba"

Talk about adjustment! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Different countries offer different things

here is what I found.

In the states, live is relatively easy and simple. You go to work, have a sandwhich for lunch, go home, watch a bit TV and go to sleep.

On weekends, take care of the yard or go hiking, biking etc.

Life is more routine, but the air is clean, services much better and there is nature within a short drive where you can find beauty and tranquility.

In China, things are more hectic. Travel every week, dining, wining, partying late into the night. It is all part of business. I don't really shop in China. Clothing etc are too expensive here in China. I opt to shop in the U.S. when I travel there or in HK. The good thing about China is that it is much easier to mix with a whole bunch of younger friends, roller blading through the night and then go to night clubs or simply eat and drink at the small road side place with a whole group. The attitude is more or less "we don't care about tomorrow".

The bad thing is: the air is dirty. it is always crowded. We constantly get harrassed by cops on the road. Bikes and motor cycles honking constantly and even if you get to a mountain or lake, it is still congested.

We lived in Murrieta, California when my wife first arrived. Lots of people, lots of traffic and a high Asian influence. No friends, no contacts... nothing at all for my wife in the beginning. We moved to East Texas where the Asian population was measured at approx. 3% and this included all Asian races, not just Chinese. I'm thinking, "dammit, this better work out or else" :headbang:

I've mentioned several times in this forum on how well my wife has taken to East Texas. She has a great church and a foray of friends of several different cultures, including Chinese. It has been a Godsend for us. The kids have also flourished since coming here. My daughter Lulu says... "Ni Hao Y'all" and "I reckon so Baba"

Talk about adjustment! :lol:

Good Heavens!!!! Your kids have been "Texified"....(this is a good thing...lol....)

I'm from the other "T".....Tennessee.....we and our brothers in Texas have a lot in common....."Remember the Alamo!!!" ....and the Tennessee volunteers who died there alongside their Texas comrades-in-arms.

Steve

We lived in Murrieta, California when my wife first arrived. Lots of people, lots of traffic and a high Asian influence. No friends, no contacts... nothing at all for my wife in the beginning. We moved to East Texas where the Asian population was measured at approx. 3% and this included all Asian races, not just Chinese. I'm thinking, "dammit, this better work out or else" :o

Talk about adjustment! :P

Good Heavens!!!! Your kids have been "Texified"....(this is a good thing...lol....)

I'm from the other "T".....Tennessee.....we and our brothers in Texas have a lot in common....."Remember the Alamo!!!" ....and the Tennessee volunteers who died there alongside their Texas comrades-in-arms.

Steve

This reminds me of a song but I can't remember the name or who sung it. Maybe one of y'all know it. It goes, :headbang:"Give me a T for Texas- Give me a T for Tennessee."

What was that ditti?...:lol: