Information on increased greencard & citizenship apps.

What gets my goat is that Director Emilio Gonzalez indicates that USCIS is a fee based agency.

Why can they not tap into some of the $$$ being spent on Homeland Security? Are they not a sub department of Homeland Security? Did the government not increase spending on Homeland Security after 9/11?

This fee based mandate didn't come from Emilio Gonzalez, it came from Congress. Several years back, Congress passed federal law mandating that INS must become self sufficient--like the USPS. Taxpayers would no longer subsidize immigrant application fees. The blame lies squarely at the foot of Congress, not USCIS.

If we even spent 1/10 of the amount we've been spending on IRAQ, I think the entire illegal immigration problem would be completely solved! :)

Edited by SirLancelot (see edit history)
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!!!!!!! is not the word i would have used!!

Once again our wonderful American government thinks we are made of money!!!!!

We work longer hours, And our pay checks get smaller every week!!

Not to be a trouble maker, but is your comment about your pay check getting smaller every week literal or figurative? My check has remained the same since my last raise in March of 2006. I don't see my take home pay changing at all. If yours is changing on a regular basis perhaps the problem isn't the Federal taxes, but state and local taxation.

While I am not happy about the increase in fees, if that is what it takes to get Zhen over here then that is what I will pay. These are one time fees, so it is not like I have to budget for this amount monthly. I will just live a little more economically for a few more months to save the money to cover the fee increases and be happy when she arrives because I know she is worth it.

If we went to a flat tax and eliminated 90% of the employees at the IRS we would have more money for immigration issues too. However, these are all separate issues.

The reason it takes so long to process applications at USCIS and NVC is the same reason every other branch of government is slow. There are no consequences for failure to perform. Government employees are protected and therefore productivity is not a major concern as it is in the private sector. Increased fees will not change this, because I seriously doubt if USCIS or NVC is going to tell their employees that they must process all applications within a specific time frame or risk losing their jobs, as in the recent past they will blame slow service on the need to be more careful since 9/11. And the war in Iraq has nothing to do with it.

Edited by tonado (see edit history)

I woke up today and i felt a little better and more calmer than last night.

As i was going to work i noticed gas prices went up 30 cents over night for no reason!!!

GREAT!!!!! off to a good start today already.

Got to work and yes, You guest it two more new faces and none speak english!

OH!! almost forgot, Today is payday, And yes the check was smaller than last week, CRAP!!!!

Now the best part of the day, Remember the two new faces.

Come to find out, One of them had a SS# that matches one other worker we had a month ago, That worker quit his job last month because he made all the money he needed to live like a king in mexico, He work for us for five years and he was only 25 years old.

Like i said, The new worker has the same SS# as the one that is live the life of a king

that just retired from our company last month after five years of work in the US.

He is living like a king on the money you and I and our government gave him!!!

You may ask, What did my boss say about this? NOTHING!! He said do not worry about it!!!

and put the new worker to work anyway.

First of all, does your fiance know how negative you are? Secondly, I am not sure how you are able to access the SSN of a co-worker, but if you are correct and you know he is using the SSN of a former employee, there is nothing keeping you from calling INS yourself to report this illegal worker. Third, yes the former employee was able to retire and live like a king in Mexico after only 5 years, but his idea of a kingdom and yours are probably radically different. If you are truly envious, perhaps your could live frugally for the next 5 years and them move to Mexico yourself and live like a king, however I seriously doubt that you would be happy with the lifestyle of a Mexican king. I understand the stress of waiting through the immigration process, however I think you are letting this process get to you in ways that can't be healthy. Fuel prices flucuate, as do other expenses, the fees for processing applications and AOS's are going to increase by the end of the year. The best thing to do is accept it, deal with it and not let it get the best of you. I understand that this price increase is a shock to you, however it will all be worth it once your fiance arrives. Step back and think about how happy you will be when she is here and then perhaps you will see that these one time fees, though high, are not the end of the world. Also, I would seriously consider letting INS know about the employee using someone else SNN.

You also may ask how did this all happen, Well I'll give you three clues!!

The first two do not count??? BUSH!!!!!

Who are you going to blame when Bush is no longer President? Or will you continue to blame him for everything you don't like or understand for decades to come. The illegal immigration problem existed long before Bush was elected and will comtinue to be a problem as long as USC's continue to turn a blind eye to the issue. You talk about illegals working at the factory where you work. YOU are allowing them to stay. Every day you fail to call INS you are the problem, not Bush. You have first hand knowledge of the location of illegal workers and have failed to do anything about it. I guess you think it is someone elses responsibility and not yours, well that is exactly why we have a problem with illegal immigration. Step up and report the problem. If you are going to complain about the cheap labor your employer seems to be prone to hiring you have the power to change that. I look forward to seeing your post about how you stepped up and called INS to report your employer.

If we even spent 1/10 of the amount we've been spending on IRAQ, I think the entire illegal immigration problem would be completely solved! :)

And now BUSH wants to send more troops to IRAQ for a war we will not win!! ;) :angry:

So now the reason it takes so long to get our wives and fiances here is the war in IRAQ? Give me a break. If we went to a flat tax and eliminated 90% of the employees at the IRS we would have more money for immigration issues too. However, these are all separate issues.

The reason it takes so long to process applications at USCIS and NVC is the same reason every other branch of government is slow. There are no consequences for failure to perform. Government employees are protected and therefore productivity is not a major concern as it is in the private sector. Increased fees will not change this, because I seriously doubt if USCIS or NVC is going to tell their employees that they must process all applications within a specific time frame or risk losing their jobs, as in the recent past they will blame slow service on the need to be more careful since 9/11. And the war in Iraq has nothing to do with it.

The war in IRAQ has nothing to do with our SO coming to the US.

You seam to think that the increase in the FEES has something to do with our SO coming to the US!!!

Your wrong!! about that. It has nothing to do with the Fees.

THE Fess has alot to do with AFTER our SO get here In the US!

As for my pay Check! It is a fact!!! It is getting very smaller with each week!!!

Why? You May ask?? Because We have illegal immigration, That is all there is to it.

And now BUSH wants to send more troops to IRAQ for a war we will not win!! ;) :angry:

So now the reason it takes so long to get our wives and fiances here is the war in IRAQ? Give me a break. If we went to a flat tax and eliminated 90% of the employees at the IRS we would have more money for immigration issues too. However, these are all separate issues.

The war in IRAQ has nothing to do with our SO coming to the US.

You seam to think that the increase in the FEES has something to do with our SO coming to the US!!!

Your wrong!! about that. It has nothing to do with the Fees.

THE Fess has alot to do with AFTER our SO get here In the US!

As for my pay Check! It is a fact!!! It is getting very smaller with each week!!!

Why? You May ask?? Because We have illegal immigration, That is all there is to it.

I guest you have not read all the post at all!

yOU NEED TO READ FROM THE BEGINING!!!

I have called INS and the problem has been taken care of!!

As for my fiance!! I DO NOT HAVE A fiance! I HAVE A WIFE!!!

And yes she understands what is going on and agrees with me and the other members here!!

If you have any question to ask her just ask she is siiting next to me now as i write this post!!!

Your need to read my time line before you post your comments, K3 CR1 IS HUSBAND AND WIFE!!!!!!!

NoT fiance!!!!

Being negative! Has nothing to do with the increas in FEES, It is a fact!!

You and i both pay Tax dollars every year that go to the government that in turns does nothing about the immagration problem!!

As for the worker that retired and living like a king!! You and i both know for a fact that the american dollar goes a long way in mexico.

And as a matter a fact i have a friend that is a USC and has many houses in mexico.

It is very cheap to buy a house in mexico with american money!

If you would have read all the post you would have seen I DID!! call the INS and other government offices and the problem has been fixed.

I never quit and i always win!!!!!!!!

Yes you are right this problem has been around for some time!!

This is what you would call cause and efect!!

If you fix the efect the cause is still there!

Our gevernment is the only one that can fix the Cause!!!

Or maybe you have a better idea????

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)

This subject has nothing whatsoever to do with illegal immigration. Stop conflating the two--it doesn't help anything. Every time someone brings up illegal immigration in any conversation concerning legal immigration, the whole idea of legal immigration is darkened becoming a little more suspect.

I think that of all of you, Ted Kennedy is closest to the mark. Kennedy wisely observed that these fee increases will serve to freeze out many from having the means to qualify for immigration.

I will take that thought one step further. I believe it is the INTENT of the current admin to make it so that only the wealthy and privileged can take advantage of U.S. immigration. Just as the proposed new tax break for health-care/insurance in fact makes health-care even less available to more people. This proposal is just one of many designed to give further advantages to those who need it least. (O/T example: Exxon's record $39.6 billion profit included $6 billion in tax incentive bonus received as direct payments from the .gov)

ok, I'll stop now.

Edited by Ling-Curt (see edit history)

This subject has nothing whatsoever to do with illegal immigration. Stop conflating the two--it doesn't help anything. Every time someone brings up illegal immigration in any conversation concerning legal immigration, the whole idea of legal immigration is darkened becoming a little more suspect.

I think that of all of you, Ted Kennedy is closest to the mark. Kennedy wisely observed that these fee increases will serve to freeze out many from having the means to qualify for immigration.

I will take that thought one step further. I believe it is the INTENT of the current admin to make it so that only the wealthy and privileged can take advantage of U.S. immigration. Just as the proposed new tax break for health-care/insurance in fact makes health-care even less available to more people. This proposal is just one of many designed to give further advantages to those who need it least. (O/T example: Exxon's record $39.6 billion profit included $6 billion in tax incentive bonus received as direct payments from the .gov)

ok, I'll stop now.

Curt - Although I agree that the increase in fees may have the effect of freezing out many, I seriously doubt that someone sat down and tried to come up with a way to intentionally set fees so that ONLY the wealthy and privileged could take advantage. However, it is possible that there was a bueaucratic intent to make sure that those who file immigration applications had the means with which to support their benficiaries and those at the lower end of the spectrum whose ability is riskier would be eliminated without having to change the minimum 125% of poverty level. Of course, being a conservative and capitalist I also believe that since I am sitting at home alone already while I wait for USCIS, I would take a part time second job to raise funds needed to cover these additional fees. Additionally, being one who believes in goodness in everyone, I tend to think that the reason for raising fees is probably as stated, to cover increased costs of processing, add additional staff to speed up processing times and make USCIS self supporting. After all not everything is a government conspiracy, some things happen for reasons stated without a ulterior motive.

Again while I agree that what Kennedy has stated may be true, once again Teddy has failed to offer a viable alternative. Perhaps since he is one of the wealthy and privileged he will cover this increase with money from his trust fund.

As I have stated before, these are one time fees and my fiance is worth the extra cost, I will somehow figure out a way to cover this additional cost and after the fees are paid and she is here with me, I seriously doubt that I will view her as not worth all the trouble. When I started this process I didn't think I would be making a second trip to China within one year, nor did I think I would take my mom with me for a photo shoot with Zhen and her family to help make the interview easier with the extra costs for visas hotels, tours etc, plus I hadn't planned on the cost of sending Zhen to Guangzhou for a week for medical and interview, but these are all associated costs involved in the process. Suck it up guys. Just as there are increased costs and delays throughout this process, view this as just one more cost to be covered. Ask any of the guys on here who have their wives with them now if it was worth the cost and I bet they will say yes. Ask Wanolin if LIN is worth all the trouble she is going through right now and she will also say yes.

We may not like the increase in fees, but I bet each and everyone of will pay them because in the end we know it will all be worth it.

I guest you have not read all the post at all!

yOU NEED TO READ FROM THE BEGINING!!!

I have called INS and the problem has been taken care of!!

As for my fiance!! I DO NOT HAVE A fiance! I HAVE A WIFE!!!

And yes she understands what is going on and agrees with me and the other members here!!

If you have any question to ask her just ask she is siiting next to me now as i write this post!!!

Your need to read my time line before you post your comments, K3 CR1 IS HUSBAND AND WIFE!!!!!!!

NoT fiance!!!!

Being negative! Has nothing to do with the increas in FEES, It is a fact!!

You and i both pay Tax dollars every year that go to the government that in turns does nothing about the immagration problem!!

As for the worker that retired and living like a king!! You and i both know for a fact that the american dollar goes a long way in mexico.

And as a matter a fact i have a friend that is a USC and has many houses in mexico.

It is very cheap to buy a house in mexico with american money!

If you would have read all the post you would have seen I DID!! call the INS and other government offices and the problem has been fixed.

I never quit and i always win!!!!!!!!

Yes you are right this problem has been around for some time!!

This is what you would call cause and efect!!

If you fix the efect the cause is still there!

Our gevernment is the only one that can fix the Cause!!!

Or maybe you have a better idea????

Gee you sure have issues and a bad attitude. It is possible on this site to block timelines so not everyone sees what you have down. Your complaining appeared geared toward to entire process so I made the assumption that you were waiting on a fiance, my mistake, so sorry.

If the problem has been fixed with INS and your employer why are you still complaining about it?

Also, if you have a friend who owns several homes in Mexico it would seem that the American dream is not dead as you have stated, it is only dead to those who spend their money differently. Perhaps you could ask your friend for consuling on how you can live the American dream like he has.

I will not use this thread to assess the causes of immigration problems lest it be deleted, but this problem was here before this administration, nor will it be resolved any time soon, not even by the next administration. It will require a long term solution and a long term commitment by the Federal agencies and involvement of the average American to weed out those who should not be in this country.

The new fees are steep but they have nothing to do with being wealthy and privilaged to take advantage of them. If one cannot afford the price increases, one has no business getting married in the first place. :D

I guess I will be the first to say thanks!