Asian immigrants in the United States have lower rates of mental healt

THURSDAY, Nov. 30 (HealthDay News) -- Asian immigrants in the United States have lower rates of mental health problems than people, including those of Asian descent, who were born in the country, a new study finds.

ADVERTISEMENT

For example, the study found that American-born women are twice as likely to have a depressive disorder as Asian-born women living in the United States.

The researchers interviewed nearly 2,100 native-born or immigrant Asian Americans, 18 and older, about their history of a number of mental health problems: depression, anxiety, phobias, eating disorders, substance and alcohol abuse, and post traumatic stress disorder.

"Roughly 48 percent of Americans will have some kind of lifetime disorder. In our study, less than one in four Asian-American immigrants will have a disorder. However, that won't necessarily be the case for their children and grandchildren. If trends continue, rates for them will go up, and that suggests that more investment is needed for prevention programs," study lead author David Takeuchi, a sociologist and social work professor at the University of Washington, said in a prepared statement.

Other findings from the study:

There were no significant differences among the main Asian immigrant groups in the United States -- Chinese, Filipinos and Vietnamese.

Among Asian men, those born elsewhere are less likely to have a substance abuse problem than those born in the United States.

Asian immigrants who arrived in the United States as elementary school-age children have an easier time learning English than older children but are more likely to develop a substance abuse problem.

Takeuchi said this study raised issues that warrant further investigation. For example, he'd like to compare the mental health circumstances of immigrants who voluntarily migrate and those who are refugees.

"Someone who is a voluntary immigrant doesn't typically suffer the severe trauma that a refugee who is fleeing persecution or war does," Takeuchi said.

He also wants to investigate how discrimination impacts the mental health of Asian Americans

That is because my wife and I left before they did the survey. I hang around doing little back in New York and my wife refused to take any job. The neighbors all knew we were somewhat crazy and they accepted us as one of their own. Now that we moved out of there and the other Chinese man who moved there back in 1963 died, the neighborhood seemed even crazier. By the way, what do you think of Marsha Stward, she grew up on the block. Richie's cousin was investigated by FBI for threatening to kill George Bush and their family maid alleged that I put a dead mice in her car. Mike and Shawn's dad belongs to the Knights of Columbus but and still lives with his siter.

Wealthy lazy people have mental problems.

As a new immigrant, if I carry dishes in a restaurant, I'd be busy counting tips at night. No time for mental problems.

If I work as a cashier in a supermarket, I'd be busy with cooking and laundry after work, still have no time for mental problems.

My best friend at college has mental problems and she cannot work for recent few years.

We were educated at the same college 20 years ago. The difference is I spent 10 years in manufacturing industry working my ass off while she was sitting at school watching people got promoted or higher degrees. She has too much free leisure time while I had many more problems (like quality problems of products, customer complaints at work, kid's rebellion) than mental problems.

Edited by SmilingAsia (see edit history)

The researchers interviewed nearly 2,100 native-born or immigrant Asian Americans, 18 and older, about their history of a number of mental health problems: depression, anxiety, phobias, eating disorders, substance and alcohol abuse, and post traumatic stress disorder.

Possible explanation could be that: Asian immigrants don't have much info about mental illnesses. Depression, psychotherapy ... etc are *foreign things*, or I should say western things. If they are depressed (because of problems), they won't even realize that they are depressed, they think it's just part of life. Life is hard, what else can we expect? ... that's the way how asians (we) look at the problems.

On the other hand, american born people have easier life and also they have knowledge about mental illlnesses, they know that they are depressed. They know that if one is depressed, there is a problem, so that one should go to psychotherapy ... etc.

Because of these differences, they respond to survey in different ways. Asian immigrants are less likely to respond to the questionnaire negatively compared to asian-american fellas. Their answers regarding their mental health are most likely to be: Ok, fine, good ...(not so much whining :rolleyes:).

Possible explanation could be that: Asian immigrants don't have much info about mental illnesses. Depression, psychotherapy ... etc are *foreign things*, or I should say western things. If they are depressed (because of problems), they won't even realize that they are depressed, they think it's just part of life. Life is hard, what else can we expect? ... that's the way how asians (we) look at the problems.

On the other hand, american born people have easier life and also they have knowledge about mental illlnesses, they know that they are depressed. They know that if one is depressed, there is a problem, so that one should go to psychotherapy ... etc.

Because of these differences, they respond to survey in different ways. Asian immigrants are less likely to respond to the questionnaire negatively compared to asian-american fellas. Their answers regarding their mental health are most likely to be: Ok, fine, good ...(not so much whining :)).

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

Because of these differences, they respond to survey in different ways. Asian immigrants are less likely to respond to the questionnaire negatively compared to asian-american fellas. Their answers regarding their mental health are most likely to be: Ok, fine, good ...(not so much whining :)).

From the link at the bottom of the article page. From the US Surgeon General...

http://mentalhealth.samhsa.gov/cre/fact2.asp

Interesting study. It deals with symptoms rather than perceptions thus removing the variance in 'reported' mental health issues and actual issues. It seems that cultural differences would lead some to either deny a problem or not be aware of it. Actual symptomatology on the other hand may be more useful to look at in order to see the true differnces, if any-especially psycho-somatic symptoms..

Guest ShaQuaNew

Interesting study. It deals with symptoms rather than perceptions thus removing the variance in 'reported' mental health issues and actual issues. It seems that cultural differences would lead some to either deny a problem or not be aware of it. Actual symptomatology on the other hand may be more useful to look at in order to see the true differnces, if any-especially psycho-somatic symptoms..

There really is a lot of good information in the Surgeon General's report. Though it contains a good many medical terms, some of it is pretty clear. Here's an interesting excerpt:

While overall prevalence rates of diagnosable mental illnesses among AA/PIs appear similar to those of the white population, when symptom scales are used, AA/PIs show higher levels of depressive symptoms than do white Americans. Furthermore, Chinese Americans are more likely to exhibit somatic complaints of depression than are African Americans or non-Hispanic whites. Small studies of symptoms of emotional distress have found few differences between AAPI youth and white youth.

I'm chewing on the meaning of:

"Furthermore, Chinese Americans are more likely to exhibit somatic complaints of depression than are African Americans or non-Hispanic whites."

In laymans terms, I think the author is saying that Chinese Americans are more likely to try and connect being depressed, with some kind of physical abnormality.

There really is a lot of good information in the Surgeon General's report. Though it contains a good many medical terms, some of it is pretty clear. Here's an interesting excerpt:

While overall prevalence rates of diagnosable mental illnesses among AA/PIs appear similar to those of the white population, when symptom scales are used, AA/PIs show higher levels of depressive symptoms than do white Americans. Furthermore, Chinese Americans are more likely to exhibit somatic complaints of depression than are African Americans or non-Hispanic whites. Small studies of symptoms of emotional distress have found few differences between AAPI youth and white youth.

"Furthermore, Chinese Americans are more likely to exhibit somatic complaints of depression than are African Americans or non-Hispanic whites."

In laymans terms, I think the author is saying that Chinese Americans are more likely to try and connect being depressed, with some kind of physical abnormality.

I've found my wife to simply associate a 'chest pain' as related to something she's thinking or experiencing... and then quickly deals with the issue to make it go away; both the situation and the pain. Whereas we might call it a feeling of 'panic' or taken further to a panic attack.

What I observe is the inability for many to associate a remedy to it so quickly as I've seen some chinese do.. or those around someone they observe undergoing a bad experience resulting in somatic/emotional distress.

So I wonder if the overall lower rates can also be affected [lowered] by the ability to quickly recognize and treat it on some level... If one can treat something quickly, it tends to not get out of control.

Because of these differences, they respond to survey in different ways. Asian immigrants are less likely to respond to the questionnaire negatively compared to asian-american fellas. Their answers regarding their mental health are most likely to be: Ok, fine, good ...(not so much whining :().

Basically says that Asians are less likley to attribute the symptomatology with the disorder. I'm gonna guess that in some cultures the symptoms are perceived as OK to have but NOT the psychological disease that goes with it. Much the same was true of the US a few decades ago when there was a huge bias against any kind of mental disorder.