I need a translator for an interview.....

Hello,

I "kind of" asked this already in a earlier post - but got no replies of value. So I need to ask again:

DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF ANY PERSON WHO CAN TRANSLATE FOR MY WIFE IN HER INTERVIEW IN JACKSONVILLE FLORIDA NEXT MONTH??????

Thanks,

Scott

Translator has to be a certified translator.

Go to a college nearby and ask for one.

Reason I know this is.... I heard a latin couple talking in the DMV and the officer told them that they couldnt just use anybody, the translator has to be certified. Officer recommended a college nearby.Go figure!

Patrick

Translator has to be a certified translator.

Go to a college nearby and ask for one.

Reason I know this is.... I heard a latin couple talking in the DMV and the officer told them that they couldnt just use anybody, the translator has to be certified. Officer recommended a college nearby.Go figure!

Patrick

234563[/snapback]

This makes perfect sence, the translator will be helping you in a legal matter and if the person doing the translating isn't certified you could use anybody that could just fake it through and give all the right answers for you. Being certified would be kinda like a notery public and bound by laws governing there job as a translator.

I used my wife's older sister.

----------------------------------------------------

http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/adjustme.../interview.html

Interpreter

"If you are not comfortable in English, you need to bring a friend, relative or hire an interpreter to help. The interpreter must be over 18 and fluent in both your language and English. The interpreter must be legal resident or US citizen."

Edited by tonado (see edit history)
We used Jiaying's friend that she had met on the plane. No certification was asked for.

234597[/snapback]

In that case couldn't Scott do it himself or is there a requirement that the translator can't be a spouse?

Even if his chinese is poor they must be able to communicate fairly well to come as far in the process as they have.

Edited by papa bear (see edit history)
It's my question too...Can I be my wife's translator during the interview?

Thanks...:blink:

234604[/snapback]

My wife failed the first AOS interview because the VO would not let me translate a few questions.

------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/adjustme.../interview.html

"For marriage based green card interview, your spouse won't be allowed to be an interpreter as it reduces USCIS's ability to compare the answers and detect marriage frauds."

My wifes best friend can speak both english and chinese - but my wife refuses to use her. It seems that her friend has had a run of bad luck lately and my wife feels that she has very bad luck. You know, the chinese people feel very strongly about LUCK and things of that nature. We have got to find somebody somewhere to do this..... I called the local university but with the students being out for summer am having no luck there.

Any more ideas people?????

Thanks,

Scott

My wifes best friend can speak both english and chinese - but my wife refuses to use her. It seems that her friend has had a run of bad luck lately and my wife feels that she has very bad luck. You know, the chinese people feel very strongly about LUCK and things of that nature. We have got to find somebody somewhere to do this..... I called the local university but with the students being out for summer am having no luck there.

Any more ideas people?????

Thanks,

Scott

234631[/snapback]

Church? Check the white pages for Chinese names in your area. Maybe someone will do it for small fee.

I would call the tasanet.com They have certified translators. You get what you pay for. If you use a friend of a friend and something is wrong, you had your day for the interview and you may be out of luck. If they do not have anyone call your local courthouse and see if there is a translation service.

I would call the tasanet.com  They have certified translators.  You get what you pay for.  If you use a friend of a friend and something is wrong, you had your day for the interview and you may be out of luck. If they do not have anyone call your local courthouse and see if there is a translation service.

234695[/snapback]

You don't need a professional interpreter. My AOS appointment letter said that if my wife can't understand English, then she will need an interpreter. And I (the spouse) cannot be her translator.

Edited by tonado (see edit history)