Asking the EX for her utility bills.

We've seen in recent post interview posts, that some VO's request the petitioner's ex wife's notarized utilty bills. I can only assume that these documents are requested in order to establish that the petitioner and his Ex have seperate residences and are not involved in a divorce for fraud . (Divorce youe wife, marry the beneficiarry for money - she gets the visa, then you get back with your wife). I've tried to get these bills through my kids with not much success. (They were willing to help but couldn't find the damn bills...) If I asked my Ex and stated the real reson, I am afraid she will not cooperate - out of spite, jelousy, resentment, whatever.... What is a good reason to ask her for these bills? Can anyone come up with a good excuse? I can't think of any. I thought maybe telling her that the IRS is auditing me and asked for this but she is no stupid woman...

Edited by stacato (see edit history)

Tell her you need for to get new utilities in your name. If you still have the same last name and live in the same city just go ask for a copy of it. Don't say you are divorced. LOL, I have asked for mine just in case too. 1 I can't locate, 1 other cooperated, and the 3rd is procrastinating. I wrote my own statement including SS#'s,notarized, of all and included what I could obtain. GUZ should be able to get all they need from the SS#'s, because I need to send this stuff right away interview is 8/23.

Mike

Edited by Lowen/Zhang (see edit history)

A utility bill is just one way to establish where she lives.. maybe you can simply get another proof that does not involve her... anything anywhere which shows her address. Did you have kids? Any records at doctor or school showing separate addresses?

Frankly, I wouldn't concern myself with it unless asked for it...

It seems rare to me that information on the ex is asked for, and I probably wouldn't try to anticipate that GUZ would be asking for utility bills. However, one thing you might consider is seeing what information is online. If the utilities were ever in your name or you know the account information, you might be able to access the billing statements.

I do have a credit card bill and a Doctor's letter that were sent to her present address. However I think that the reason they ask for utility bills is that those are hard if not impossible to fake. I guess I'm going to have to take what I have and hope it's enough. Thanks for the advice.

I do have a credit card bill and a Doctor's letter that were sent to her present address. However I think that the reason they ask for utility bills is that those are hard if not impossible to fake. I guess I'm going to have to take what I have and hope it's enough.  Thanks for the advice.

230457[/snapback]

I think the utility bill is because it would be assumed a current one is provided; this is consistent with all documentary proof being "up to date"... I'm sure many bills would also satisfy proving current residency of your "ex"...

How can they asks for utility bills of you ex? I dont even know where my ex is and the last thing I am going to do is try to locate her.

In our overcome process, I was asked to provide proof of my ex's separate residence which was exampled by presenting utility bills, credit card statements etc...

I copied a cancelled check of my ex's account. I copied her drivers license, her gas bill, her AAA card. Of course, I have a great friendship with my ex and this allowed such cooperation.

I notarized nothing in this process but do not recommend that. It's just my cavalier attitude at that time. :)

They asked for my x's information too. I have no idea where she is. But I have heard through the grapevine, that she is married and has a kid. Too late for me to turn in anything else, Guz will not take anything now, it's still in 221g status. 3 months now. 2 minutes to turn us down, and forever to re-read information.

Hand write a letter stating that you have no idea anything about her or her whereabouts. That is what I did.

The V. O. is one powerful person..... be prepared to provide any overcome evidence that is requested.

good luck....

How can they asks for utility bills of you ex? I dont even know where my ex is and the last thing I am going to do is try to locate her.

230462[/snapback]

Just tell the truth. No problem.

If you are not recently divorced, VO doesn't tend to ask for the utility bills of your ex.

If your SO answers questions and presents docs properly at the interview, VO doesn't tend to ask for the utility bills of your ex.

Only when VO suspects your divorce with your ex is a scam and you are still living with your ex, VO tends to ask for utility bills of your ex.