Home Sickness

This has probably been discussed before, but, I would be interested to know about the ways in which the SO's deal with home sickness? This has to be such a drastic change in culture, surroundings, loss of family and friends, etc. How do they cope with it? Do some want to return to their country? I hope to get some comments.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has probably been discussed before, but, I would be interested to know about the ways in which the SO's deal with home sickness?  This has to be such a drastic change in culture, surroundings, loss of family and friends, etc.  How do they cope with it?  Do some want to return to their country?  I hope to get some comments.

198476[/snapback]

A high speed internet connection with web cam on both sides.

Access to local Chinese community (food) is a plus.

Go out and show her something new every weekend.

Edited by pkfops (see edit history)

It was never a problem with my wife. She does call home and friends but it is no different than if she was still in China. It was not that big of a change for her except in a positive way as she is really enjoying the opportunities in the US and is very busy. So maybe the answer is for her to stay busy.

Ron, Don't know where in SoCal you are, but at least you have the advantage of access to the huge Chinese communities here.  I'm sure this will help a lot.

198778[/snapback]

I live in the Highland area and not many Chinese around here. I would have to drive a ways to find any. Orange Co. is mostly Vietnamese and Koreans.

Ron, Don't know where in SoCal you are, but at least you have the advantage of access to the huge Chinese communities here.  I'm sure this will help a lot.

198778[/snapback]

I live in the Highland area and not many Chinese around here. I would have to drive a ways to find any. Orange Co. is mostly Vietnamese and Koreans.

198806[/snapback]

Less than 45 min and you're right back in the heart of China again, Ron.

According to the map, you're out on Baseline in SB County. You're closer to San Gabriel et al, than the OC. There's plenty of us here that can point you both to some of the best of China, right here.

198778[/snapback]

198806[/snapback]

Less than 45 min and you're right back in the heart of China again, Ron.

According to the map, you're out on Baseline in SB County. You're closer to San Gabriel et al, than the OC. There's plenty of us here that can point you both to some of the best of China, right here.

198813[/snapback]

Thanks, I may have to take you up on that.

198778[/snapback]

198806[/snapback]

Hi Ron,

There is a VERY large Chinese community in Irvine, South O.C.

a 99 Ranch market right on Culver off the 405.

Many Chinese all over the O.C.

Little Saigon is in Westminster and most of the Korean community is in LA (Korea Town) but La Palma ( 2 blocks from me) has such a large Korean community that half the local library is in Korean.

-James

198778[/snapback]

198806[/snapback]

Hi Ron,

There is a VERY large Chinese community in Irvine, South O.C.

a 99 Ranch market right on Culver off the 405.

Many Chinese all over the O.C.

Little Saigon is in Westminster and most of the Korean community is in LA (Korea Town) but La Palma ( 2 blocks from me) has such a large Korean community that half the local library is in Korean.

-James

198982[/snapback]

Yea, I know about Little Saigon. Been there many times. I am not familiar with the Chinese areas, except of course for L.A. My son lives in Huntington Beach so I go there a lot. Anyway, once I have her with me I'm sure we will find some of these places. I want to do everything I can to ease her home sickness. Hell, I don't know, maybe she won't be homesick. Some people handle that pretty well.

Then there is the issue of children coming to the USA as well. It was very critical for the kids to get into mainstream quickly. My daughter has flourished... because she has worked very hard and just because she is the type of person who just does well in any circumstance. My son struggles with the culture shock of not being #1 because he is a male. I know I will catch flack for this comment but he tells me himself that Chinese men first, Chinese women second. I tell him "not in the USA my son"

My recipe for my short lived success so far is patience, love and understanding. Not just for my wife but children as well.

Can you imagine leaving behind the only life you have ever known for something so completely different? Where the language, lifestyle and culture is reverse from what you are taught from birth.

I have been very open to the changes too. Rice everyday. My computer is now her computer which was very difficult for me to let go of. Watching LATV 18 and taking 2-3 showers. :cheering:

Adapt, Adjust and Appreciate. (AAA)

Then there is the issue of children coming to the USA as well. It was very critical for the kids to get into mainstream quickly. My daughter has flourished... because she has worked very hard and just because she is the type of person who just does well in any circumstance. My son struggles with the culture shock of not being #1 because he is a male. I know I will catch flack for this comment but he tells me himself that Chinese men first, Chinese women second. I tell him "not in the USA my son"

My recipe for my short lived success so far is patience, love and understanding. Not just for my wife but children as well.

Can you imagine leaving behind the only life you have ever known for something so completely different? Where the language, lifestyle and culture is reverse from what you are taught from birth.

I have been very open to the changes too. Rice everyday. My computer is now her computer which was very difficult for me to let go of. Watching LATV 18 and taking 2-3 showers. :cheering: 

Adapt, Adjust and Appreciate. (AAA)

199090[/snapback]

Hey, what's up with the shower thing???? my wife also talks about that a lot. She sais I have to take a shower every night before going to bed. I told her that I take a shower every morning, but she keeps insisting.... :cheering:

Hey, what's up with the shower thing???? my wife also talks about that a lot. She sais I have to take a shower every night before going to bed. I told her that I take a shower every morning, but she keeps insisting.... :huh:

199105[/snapback]

Wife doesn't want to "sleep" with a dirty man :blink: