Just got my NOA

I am pretty upset with the USCIS now. I have been anxiously waiting for my NOA1 for my K-3. Today, I open the mailbox to find a big envelope from NBC, my package (I thought). The top of it is an I-797C stating the case has been rejected due to incorrect filing fee. So the first thing I do is open my check register and sure enough the copy of the check I sent was for $170. The funny thing about the package is it is bigger than I remember sending. I find another I-797C under mine for someone else. They have sent parts of my package along with someone else's package for maybe an EAD and something else, I wasn't too interested in trying to figure out what her package was about. My I-797C says everthing was returned, which I don't think so, they have taken it apart, rearranged the papers and cut off all the tabs I put on the bottom. I will go through tonight and try to salvage what I can so I can mail it tomorrow. I did find the check I originally sent and it was for $170. The passport photos of myself and my wife are missing. They returned the passport photos for the other woman.

Question #1

Do I reassemble the package and send it back as for an initial filing? Or, do I treat as an RFE and include the the I-797C I just recieved.

Question #2

What should I do with the other package? Send it back to USCIS? If so should I provide a cover letter for it.

Well, in short, the USCIS has taken at least 3 weeks on this blunder of theirs. When will they take more. At least my CR-1 is going through VSC.

I am pretty upset with the USCIS now.  I have been anxiously waiting for my NOA1 for my K-3.  Today, I open the mailbox to find a big envelope from NBC, my package (I thought).  The top of it is an I-797C stating the case has been rejected due to incorrect filing fee.  So the first thing I do is open my check register and sure enough the copy of the check I sent was for $170.  The funny thing about the package is it is bigger than I remember sending.  I find another I-797C under mine for someone else.  They have sent parts of my package along with someone else's package for maybe an EAD and something else, I wasn't too interested in trying to figure out what her package was about.  My I-797C says everthing was returned, which I don't think so, they have taken it apart, rearranged the papers and cut off all the tabs I put on the bottom.  I will go through tonight and try to salvage what I can so I can mail it tomorrow.  I did find the check I originally sent and it was for $170.  The passport photos of myself and my wife are missing.  They returned the passport photos for the other woman.

Question #1

Do I reassemble the package and send it back as for an initial filing?  Or, do I treat as an RFE and include the the I-797C I just recieved.

Question #2

What should I do with the other package?  Send it back to USCIS?  If so should I provide a cover letter for it.

Well, in short, the USCIS has taken at least 3 weeks on this blunder of theirs.  When will they take more.  At least my CR-1 is going through VSC.

197127[/snapback]

personally I would be very pissed as well and call them to ask how to file a complaint

Hello,

I have a full duplicate of my entire I-129F package as recommended on VisaJourney. Did you keep one? If so you can make a copy of your backup set, keep the copy and resubmit. I think you should keep the botched package for evidence in the future. If you do want to return that, you should also make a copy of that for evidence.

-James

I know your angry over this junk, but the first thing you should do is get this thing resubmitted including a new check so it can move forward.

Then fight the battle for the first submission as a seperate issue. You are obviously right and all, but they will fight long and hard to say you did everything wrong, but remember the goal is to get your wife here as quickly as possible.

You might want to make an Infopass appointment and carry what they sent to you along with the backup copies of your original. Don't handle it by mail, do it in person. That would be the only way they could get the other persons files back, and get a written receipt for returning the other persons documents...

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)

Lee is giving some good advice here. The return of the documents could have been for any number of bogus reasons, for example, the processing clerk thought it was an I-129 rather than an I-129F (different fees); but, it doesn't really matter. Re-submit. Get this out of the way and then "let 'em have it".

I like the idea of hand carrying the documents back to USCIS. Being such a nice guy :D, I'd probably even try to get in touch with the EAD lady. How would you feel if your files got returned to a stanger and you didn't even know about it? ;)

Guest pushbrk
I am pretty upset with the USCIS now.  I have been anxiously waiting for my NOA1 for my K-3.  Today, I open the mailbox to find a big envelope from NBC, my package (I thought).  The top of it is an I-797C stating the case has been rejected due to incorrect filing fee.  So the first thing I do is open my check register and sure enough the copy of the check I sent was for $170.  The funny thing about the package is it is bigger than I remember sending.  I find another I-797C under mine for someone else.  They have sent parts of my package along with someone else's package for maybe an EAD and something else, I wasn't too interested in trying to figure out what her package was about.  My I-797C says everthing was returned, which I don't think so, they have taken it apart, rearranged the papers and cut off all the tabs I put on the bottom.  I will go through tonight and try to salvage what I can so I can mail it tomorrow.  I did find the check I originally sent and it was for $170.  The passport photos of myself and my wife are missing.  They returned the passport photos for the other woman.

Question #1

Do I reassemble the package and send it back as for an initial filing?  Or, do I treat as an RFE and include the the I-797C I just recieved.

Question #2

What should I do with the other package?  Send it back to USCIS?  If so should I provide a cover letter for it.

Well, in short, the USCIS has taken at least 3 weeks on this blunder of theirs.  When will they take more.  At least my CR-1 is going through VSC.

197127[/snapback]

As a person who waited a month for my CR1 NOA1 I just shuddered at reading your post. Maybe somebody would talk me out of it but if I lived 90 minutes from Washington DC like you do, I would take my back-up copy of my petition and everything I got back from USCIS Thursday, put it in the car and be on the doorstep of USCIS headquarters in DC Friday morning.

I would expect somebody to come down and inspect what I was sent and take personal responsibility for getting my replacement petition in the hands of a responsible party at MSC.

Of course, I have the freedom to take the day off and wouldn't hesitate to drive the 90 miles. Please don't take "what I would do" as "advice" for you. :D

If they have mistakenly sent someone else's personal information to you in this instance, what personal information of ours have the "shared" with some other third party? Birth date; Social Security number; parent's names; etc., etc.

I don't think it's hard to see where this could go . . .

VERY FRIGHTENING.

Edited by shyaushu (see edit history)

Sometimes it just amazes me how many blunders these folks at USCIS can make. If I recounted the screw ups in our case from start to where we are now, I swear it would fill a novel. I know they are overworked and under a lot of pressure, but still, the foul ups are sometimes beyond belief.

I agree with what others have said. Put your resubmission in order, then go after them about the mess up.

just when I thought I had seen it all........ the unbelievable is becomming common place :P

good luck

My petition was the easy part. Yes, I had copies, but I didn't need copies of anything. It was all there (I found the photos, but included new ones because the first ones got mangled during there trip through the USPS). I just had to put it back in order and take it to the post office. I was kinda upset so I forgot to get a copy of the I-797C they sent (I hope that doesn't come back to haunt me). Everything was there, I just took the check and relocated to a more obvious position for them (stapled to the I-797C). I sent it back today so hopefully all I lost was a few weeks.

The other petition was my biggest concern. Personal information is an understatement for this petition. For those with lost cases, I would be very worried. If the USCIS had an office in Richmond (the capital of VA in a central location) I might go, but I can't take the time to drive to DC or Norfolk (Norfolk is my office). 90 minutes is very optimistic for the one way trip for either during the times for the office hours. And I didn't want to hold on to my package until I had the time to go to DC or Norfolk. I am just trying to decide if I include my name with this package or send it back anonymously. I am afraid if I include my name, I will forever be linked to that petition. I will get a cover letter for it this weekend and send it monday (somewhere).

And I'm not looking to fight any fights until my wife is here.  If my case resumes normal processing, I would be content.

197508[/snapback]

Really , I see 2 ways you can go. Just resubmit, and make sure everything is square with the poor saps info that was sent to you, and just absorb the time you lost and be a good trooper, or. It is illegal for the Us gov to share personal information with anyone who is not entitled to see it. It could be that you may have a law suit on your hands that could reap a pretty penny. Law suits in the Gov mean overhauls that can and most probably will slow down a lot of petitions out there, but then again, that could cause things to be more professinal and move faster. Just my humble thoughts. I say stick it to them.

I believe there was an old case of this happening as reported on visajourney.com. Seem to recall that the person INITIALLY called the national service center, explained what happened and how they had someone else's petition. He/she was either called by or given a phone number to a supervisior of the appliciable Service center regarding the return of BOTH sets of papers- their case got processed very fast after this occurence.

It MAY not work for you but I'd give it a try- cost of a phone call. Also I will note that if you call the national help you NOT line, and initially get BS, DEMAND to talk to a supervisior! Been there, done that due to my missing NOA's.

197544[/snapback]

And I'm not looking to fight any fights until my wife is here.  If my case resumes normal processing, I would be content.

197508[/snapback]

I woudn't look for any fights right now, most important is your case and to make sure it is proceeding normal. As for "Chinese wife's" post, sounds like good advice. Try to get the petiton back into the right hands for those poor people. If they throw you a bone and process your case faster, great!

Either way, your helping out someone else so it's a win win situation!

Question #1

Question #2

197127[/snapback]

Aside from the document shredding of 2002, that's the biggest act of incompetancy and irresponsibility from the USCIS I have ever heard.

You should make it known to D.C.