Increasing GUZ staff?

Count me in.  I would only add that a long, drawn out letter, full of detail and rhetoric will not be read.  A shorter letter that gets right to the point will be addressed much quicker. 

I have heard many talk show hosts and TV hosts say that they can only respond to short letters or emails.  They simply do not have the time to respond to long, in depth letters.  That makes sense to me.  Anyway, let's go for it.

206824[/snapback]

I have been “hanging” out here for a few months now. Never properly introduced myself... sorry about that. When I first discovered Candle I spent days reading the posts and became extremely mad that it was going to take 8, 9 months... probably more... to be with my wife. I wrote letters to DOS, Congress, Senate, telling them what I thought about this endless process and how all the agencies were understaffed. I never heard a thing back from any of them. Maybe as a group we would have a bigger impact…

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew
Count me in.  I would only add that a long, drawn out letter, full of detail and rhetoric will not be read.  A shorter letter that gets right to the point will be addressed much quicker. 

I have heard many talk show hosts and TV hosts say that they can only respond to short letters or emails.  They simply do not have the time to respond to long, in depth letters.  That makes sense to me.  Anyway, let's go for it.

206824[/snapback]

I have been “hanging” out here for a few months now. Never properly introduced myself... sorry about that. When I first discovered Candle I spent days reading the posts and became extremely mad that it was going to take 8, 9 months... probably more... to be with my wife. I wrote letters to DOS, Congress, Senate, telling them what I thought about this endless process and how all the agencies were understaffed. I never heard a thing back from any of them. Maybe as a group we would have a bigger impact…

206826[/snapback]

Hi Stephen, and welcome to all the new members here. I've been thinking about Travelers post, and he makes some very good points. It would be easy to over-complicate this, but as others have stated, simpler is easier. Heck, as a writer, I should know that, but I need to keep reminding myself of that.

Here's a thought. We could compose a letter as a group right here, in this forum. Then, after it gets critiqued and edited by everyone, then, those that wish can send via email, their names, City and State, etc., to a member or mod selected here. These names and addresses can then be added to the letter. The letter can then be sent about to Senators, Congressmen, and DOS officials as applicable. No need to add the charts, graphs, and numbers. A simple to the point letter seems as though it would be more effective. Thoughts?

We all did this last year, sending a message to Maury Harty, Director of Consular Services. This was done after she presented a rah-rah speech. If someone wishes to write it, do it. I will sign it, as I said before, I still send letters to her office stating understaffing. If nothing else, it is great fun to see the collective minds that gather here. I must say that there are some quite talented and unique people that populate CFL.

So..this being said...WRITE THE DANG LETTER!! :ph34r:

Rob

206824[/snapback]

206826[/snapback]

Hi Stephen, and welcome to all the new members here. I've been thinking about Travelers post, and he makes some very good points. It would be easy to over-complicate this, but as others have stated, simpler is easier. Heck, as a writer, I should know that, but I need to keep reminding myself of that.

Here's a thought. We could compose a letter as a group right here, in this forum. Then, after it gets critiqued and edited by everyone, then, those that wish can send via email, their names, City and State, etc., to a member or mod selected here. These names and addresses can then be added to the letter. The letter can then be sent about to Senators, Congressmen, and DOS officials as applicable. No need to add the charts, graphs, and numbers. A simple to the point letter seems as though it would be more effective. Thoughts?

206832[/snapback]

Yes I agree.. a simple to the point letter... I'm in!

Have we decided who is going to write the letter? :lol:

206880[/snapback]

I'll sign it, email it, or do whatever it takes to get it there. As for additional staffing in GZ, better think again, I believe that soon they'll have additional staffing in the States for processing the 12 million illegal immigrants.

With this in mind I believe that there won't be any funding for additional staff in GZ.

Have we decided who is going to write the letter? :blink:

206880[/snapback]

I nominate Dave G.

He wrote a wonderful letter to GUZ on his sister-in-law's behalf. His choice of words in the letter was just superb!

Take a gander at his letter and see if you guys agree that Dave G. should compose the initial draft.

edit: Request to MODs, would it be possible to pin this thread to the very top? It would be ideal if newer members--and older members--would be constantly exposed to this thread. I found out about this thread by digging deep into the past. I think once this thread goes back a few pages, members will forget about it. It would be good to keep this thread in the headlines for all the see.

Edited by SirLancelot (see edit history)
Can we get some addresses of the people we want to send to?  Should it be email or snail mail? :blink:

206940[/snapback]

Snail mail is always the best. It will convey that you took the time to write/print out and post a stamp on an envelope. But if that's too much trouble, then writing email is better than nothing. Had written letters mean the most, but it's getting rarer and rarer to see hand written letters in this day and age. The address would be dependent on your respective Congress-person and Senators.

Does someone want to come up with a "sample" letter or at least list some issues that absoultely should be mentioned in the letter. I guess we can do our own wording. :rolleyes:

Okay just a newbie, but would offer this up. Write or print up a letter and hand deliever to your congessman or senators local office. Local phone books have the address and they are indeed local. Nothing like a face to face with the aide that is going to end up with your letter after it trickles down to them anyway. Just a thought.

There are so many issues to deal with on CFL, it looks like this one is fizzling out. I guess we all just do our own thing and write letters if we want to.

Does someone want to come up with a "sample" letter or at least list some issues that absoultely should be mentioned in the letter.  I guess we can do our own wording. :ph34r:

206965[/snapback]

I believe the most obvious indication of a problem in Guangzhou is the lengthy time that DHL packages sit in a warehouse before the consulate even looks at them. That is what I am addressing in my letter to my senators and representative. Nobody can dispute the existence of this problem, though there may be differing opinions on the best solution.

I want them to be aware that this problem exists and then someone else can decide the best way to solve it. I hope to make them feel the frustration of checking on it every day and finding that it is still in limbo. I want them to know that, as an American citizen, I am getting shabby treatment from my own government and that something needs to be done about this.

This letter addresses only a State Department problem; the USCIS comes next.