Increasing GUZ staff?

I hope that at least someone will post a letter that we could at least use parts of. I am definatly not a wordsmith. Not enough corporal punishment from the penguins. I sent a certified letter to my congressman to get him involved and his aide at local office got back to me in less than a week, ergo my suggestion of local office.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This ia an idea I am throwing out for the CFL to consider. It will probably only help the newer members or future members, but it might be something CFL can put its muscle into and get results.

Recently I got word directly from the horse's mouth that GUZ has seen a grow in petitions sent it of 80% over last year with NO INCREASE IN STAFF.

The thought is to have CFL spearhead a push with Congress and at DOS to increase funding at GUZ and getting more staff in hopes of meeting the demand of more petitions and improving the processing time.

193225[/snapback]

Is this topic dead or are we not interested in writing letters? I think if no one ever complains about it, they will never increase the staff at the consulate. Personally, I will write letters, but, I thought the "group" effort was a good idea. :D

it's interesting that I wrote to the White House on December 19, 2005, and received a reply on March 1, 2006. The usual apologies for late reply due to new mail screening security procedures..... My complaint was specific to the seven weeks my wifes application package sat in Chinese Customs for lack of a simple clearance document. I spoke in general to the lengthy immigration process that involves our attempts to be with our spouses. My letter was referred to DOS, and I received a response from them on March 28, 2006. They provided me with the date of my wifes interview. This is the first time in over a year that I have seen anyones interview scheduled 3 months after name check clearances.

my suggestion, individual letters can be potent, keep the letter brief and to the point, be specific on any delays. 2 paragraphs, no more than 8 -10 sentences in each. Do not use attack language, you should approach this as looking for assistance from the delays you have encountered. They are well aware of the staffing issues, after all, it is the busiest counsulate in the world.

good luck

it's interesting that I wrote to the White House on December 19, 2005, and received a reply on March 1, 2006.  The usual apologies for late reply due to new mail screening security procedures.....  My complaint was specific to the seven weeks my wifes application package sat in Chinese Customs for lack of a simple clearance document.  I spoke in general to the lengthy immigration process that involves our attempts to be with our spouses.  My letter was referred to DOS, and I received a response from them on March 28, 2006.  They provided me with the date of my wifes interview.  This is the first time in over a year that I have seen anyones interview scheduled 3 months after name check clearances. 

my suggestion, individual letters can be potent, keep the letter brief and to the point, be specific on any delays.  2 paragraphs, no more than 8 -10 sentences in each.  Do not use attack language, you should approach this as looking for assistance from the delays you have encountered.  They are well aware of the staffing issues, after all, it is the busiest counsulate in the world.

good luck

207360[/snapback]

HanLi would you happen to have the address that you sent your letter to?

Thanks

I just looked in on this topic and I agree with the premis of it but I think one other place needs to be made aware. This country is right now in a heated debate about immigration and 2000 little voices from an obcure website about one county that gets little notice isn't going to do much. Don't get me wrong, but as the debate goes, we won't even come up on thier radar vs. 500,000 mexican immigrants marching in LA. Don't get me wrong, the letter is a very good idea and you can count on my signature as well. But we need to go public. Copy the letter and hit the local papers, TV, and radio programs as well. We are talking about reforming the LEGAL immigration system and in doing so could help avoid some of the illegal issues. The more it is at least perceived to be in the public view, the more likely politicians will get involved.

I just looked in on this topic and I agree with the premis of it but I think one other place needs to be made aware. This country is right now in a heated debate about immigration and 2000 little voices from an obcure website about one county that gets little notice isn't going to do much. Don't get me wrong, but as the debate goes, we won't even come up on thier radar vs. 500,000 mexican immigrants marching in LA. Don't get me wrong, the letter is a very good idea and you can count on my signature as well. But we need to go public. Copy the letter and hit the local papers, TV, and radio programs as well. We are talking about reforming the LEGAL immigration system and in doing so could help avoid some of the illegal issues. The more it is at least perceived to be in the public view, the more likely politicians will get involved.

207368[/snapback]

You make some very good points. Like you, I think this is a nobel effort, but I can't help but think that international politics also plays a role in this. My gut tells me that visa processing in countries where the US and the host country are strong allies tends to get more funding. Consequently, I fear that we are pawns on an international chess board where the players are the US and China and until relations between the two countries gets s whole lot better, the visa process won't improve that much.

If the UK were to say that the US needs to improve visa processing for its subjects, I dare say the US would respond. If China were to say visa processing for its citizens needs to improve, the US might respond only if there's a quid pro quo.

it's interesting that I wrote to the White House on December 19, 2005, and received a reply on March 1, 2006.  The usual apologies for late reply due to new mail screening security procedures.....  My complaint was specific to the seven weeks my wifes application package sat in Chinese Customs for lack of a simple clearance document.  I spoke in general to the lengthy immigration process that involves our attempts to be with our spouses.  My letter was referred to DOS, and I received a response from them on March 28, 2006.  They provided me with the date of my wifes interview.  This is the first time in over a year that I have seen anyones interview scheduled 3 months after name check clearances. 

my suggestion, individual letters can be potent, keep the letter brief and to the point, be specific on any delays.  2 paragraphs, no more than 8 -10 sentences in each.  Do not use attack language, you should approach this as looking for assistance from the delays you have encountered.  They are well aware of the staffing issues, after all, it is the busiest counsulate in the world.

good luck

207360[/snapback]

HanLi would you happen to have the address that you sent your letter to?

Thanks

207361[/snapback]

Are you talking about the address for the White House?

This ia an idea I am throwing out for the CFL to consider. It will probably only help the newer members or future members, but it might be something CFL can put its muscle into and get results.

Recently I got word directly from the horse's mouth that GUZ has seen a grow in petitions sent it of 80% over last year with NO INCREASE IN STAFF.

The thought is to have CFL spearhead a push with Congress and at DOS to increase funding at GUZ and getting more staff in hopes of meeting the demand of more petitions and improving the processing time.

193225[/snapback]

I'd sign, and even submit my resume :rolleyes:

Guest ShaQuaNew
Have we decided who is going to write the letter? :huh:

206880[/snapback]

Okay, here's a stab....

The main issue as described by King is: "GUZ has seen a grow in petitions sent it of 80% over last year with NO INCREASE IN STAFF"

So, by keeping this simple, it would be best to use this single point. The following letter is addressed "to whom it may concern" so that it can be adjusted to a wide mailing....

To whom it may concern:

We, the undersigned, have been actively involved in the US / Chinese immigration process. Some are relatively new to the process, while others have been involved for many years. Our stories however are all quite similar. Some, through travel to China have met and married their partners while in China and pursued immigration so that their Chinese partners could join them in the US.

Others have met their partners while visiting China and chose to pursue the K1 or fiance Visa. After approval of this visa type their partners are allowed travel to the US for the purpose of marrying the visa petitioner within 90-days after US entry.

Many of us have been waiting for long periods of time to be reunited with our partners. As you might understand, waiting for periods of one year, two years, and longer, is quite painful and difficult. We are well aware that obtaining a visa for our partners in China is one of the most time-consuming of all countries of the world.

During this past year, the American Consulate at Guangzhou has experienced 80% growth in the petitions it receives from the previous year. The problem for them, and for us is that there has been NO INCREASE IN STAFF at the Consulate. Obviously, this staffing shortage is deeply affecting the current visa wait times, and increasing the likelihood of processing error.

We are requesting your assistance at lobbying the US Congress and US Senate to appropriate additional funding for the American Consulate at Guangzhou so that they may increase their current staff levels and streamline this process.

Thank you

Names

Alright, I'm taking the first stab. Perhaps others have suggestions....

J B)

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

If you want to keep it short and simple, I would edit your well written letter as follows:

During this past year, the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou, China has experienced an 80% growth in visa applications that it must process versus the prior year but with NO INCREASE IN STAFF. This trend is likely to continue with ever increasing delays at one of the slowest U.S. consulates in the world..

What specific steps will [the Department of State or Congress] take to ensure that those who seek a visa to the United States will have their applications processed in a timely manner?

Put 'em on the spot I say. :huh:

Guest ShaQuaNew
If you want to keep it short and simple, I would edit your well written letter as follows:

During this past year, the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou, China has experienced an 80% growth in visa applications that it must process versus the prior year but with NO INCREASE IN STAFF.  This trend is likely to continue with ever increasing delays at one of the slowest U.S. consulates in the world..

What specific steps will [the Department of State or Congress] take to ensure that those who seek a visa to the United States will have their applications processed in a timely manner?

Put 'em on the spot I say. :huh:

207624[/snapback]

Thanks Frank. Good point.... B)