K1 or DCF filing? Please help!

Guest pushbrk
Ok, I'm going to file the I-130 next week. I CROSS MY FINGERS I have all the paperwork! Now, I'm worried about which address to use for my wife's residence (on the I-130). Should we use our home residence (Zhuhai, Guangdong), my company's mailing address or my wife's residence listed on her Hukou (in Guangxi)? Any suggestions are most helpful! Also...any idea about photo specifics? There seems to be disagreement online about the required photos sizes. Small points, but you know how it goes...  Thanks all! :)

234185[/snapback]

They are asking where you live. If you expect to be able to receive mail at your residence for the duration of the visa process, that's the address to use.

You don't have to cross your fingers about whether you have all the paperwork. Just check the list of papers you are asked to file, against what you have. For a double-check, post the list here for comment.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Well, well, well...I am truly down in the dumps. I filed the I-130 petition via DCf at the GZ consulate this last August 10th. Here is is October 20th and I have received abaolutely NOTHING. After an email sent to GZ October 4th, I finally got this not-so-reassuring reply :"Your petition is currently under reviewING." What? Ok, can anyone put my mind at rest? All kinds of things are swirling around up there. More than two months seems like a VERY long time to have heard nothing. Thanks all! Look forward to your advice! :greenblob:

Well, well, well...I am truly down in the dumps. I filed the I-130 petition via DCf at the GZ consulate this last August 10th. Here is is October 20th and I have received abaolutely NOTHING. After an email sent to GZ October 4th, I finally got this not-so-reassuring reply :"Your petition is currently under reviewING." What? Ok, can anyone put my mind at rest? All kinds of things are swirling around up there. More than two months seems like a VERY long time to have heard nothing. Thanks all! Look forward to your advice! :greenblob:

For our DCF, I contacted BJ (where we filed) 2.5 months after filing and they told me the petition was approved 2 months after filing date. However I didn't receive the actual P2 until much later, after I had requested them to fax it to me cuz I thought it might have been lost in the mail. I think it might be a good idea to contact GZ again after a week or 2. It does seem like recent DCFer's are seeing longer waits in the process (from usa.bbs.net), I don't know why though... Good luck with your case!

• 3 weeks later...

OK...FINALLY...after much more than two months...I got a letter from GZ called the "Notice of approval of relative immigrant visa petition" but no other forms of any kind so far. What should I be on the lookout for next? :rolleyes: Many thanks!

Aaron

Edited by canrun (see edit history)

OK...FINALLY...after much more than two months...I got a letter from GZ called the "Notice of approval of relative immigrant visa petition" but no other forms of any kind so far. What should I be on the lookout for next? B) Many thanks!

Aaron

Congrats ! Sounds like you got NOA-2 (or P2). I think your wait was because the file has to go to USCIS in BJ to be approved.. and now will go back to GUZ for further processing. Next is the P3.

You can take a look at the CFL DCF FAQ which shows some sample timelines by filed consulate and comments on each step...

What Frank said on 1

2 - The I-864 can be notarized at the embassy

3 - It depends what you will need to prove domicile, i.e. bank statements, proof of property ownership, job offers, whatever. In my case I just needed stuff from my parents for their co-sponsorship.

Don't confuse people the new I-864 form dose not need to be notarized.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...19495&st=15

It seems that ACS won't notarize an I-134 for one of our members. He was told to just sign it and take it to the interview. This is in direct contrast to the form's instructions.

So, will a non-notarized I-134 cause problems at the interview window?

234352[/snapback]

Dear CFL,

Per the instructions on the I-134 form, it still needs to be notarized. Original, notarized I-134 forms are required for each and every K1 or K3 visa beneficiary. We've reminded our officers of this guidance; thanks for bringing it to our attention. Our ACS unit would be happy to notarize an I-134 form for you if you so request.

Please note that the requirements for the recently updated I-864 family of forms (I-864, I-864A, I-864EZ) are different. One big recent change is that notarizations for I-864-type forms is no longer required.

For more detailed information, please see the instructions on the new I-864 forms at www.uscis.gov.

Sincerely,

USCONGUZ

2 - The I-864 can be notarized at the embassy

Don't confuse people the new I-864 form dose not need to be notarized.

I think we need to clarify this, as the first post is back in Feb. '06 and was a valid statement at the time.

In fact, it's still a valid statement, IF one is using the old form. The former I-864 form will be accepted until Jan. 17, 2007 by NVC and consulates. (this is a longer grace period than USCIS).

Since the OP is a DCFer, as was beijingjenny, they bring the I-864 to the consulate interview...

If bringing the newer I-864, no notarization is needed...

Hi all! Ok..the P-3 finally arrived and I am now scratching my head about the I-864. I know there are many links to info on the board here, but I was hoping if someone could just qive me the "quick" version what I'll need to do next. I am a teacher in China and make the normal "teacher's salary." However, when my Father passed away a few ywars ago I inherited a small but comfortable amount. This leads me to the following question: Will I need a co-sponsor? If so, is it relatively easy to go about doing so? And finally, what is the consensus about getting the I-864 notarized? If it needs to be done, I'll have to make an extra trip to GZ to do so. I thank all of you sincerely for your help so far! Any further advice is most appreciated!

Thanks again,

Aaron :blink:

PS...update...I just downloaded the I-864 form from the NEW USCIS website and it says the form expires 9/30/06. What gives??!

Hi all! Ok..the P-3 finally arrived and I am now scratching my head about the I-864. I know there are many links to info on the board here, but I was hoping if someone could just qive me the "quick" version what I'll need to do next. I am a teacher in China and make the normal "teacher's salary." However, when my Father passed away a few ywars ago I inherited a small but comfortable amount. This leads me to the following question: Will I need a co-sponsor? If so, is it relatively easy to go about doing so? And finally, what is the consensus about getting the I-864 notarized? If it needs to be done, I'll have to make an extra trip to GZ to do so. I thank all of you sincerely for your help so far! Any further advice is most appreciated!

Thanks again,

Aaron :blink:

PS...update...I just downloaded the I-864 form from the NEW USCIS website and it says the form expires 9/30/06. What gives??!

If you use the newer I-864 form, as on the USCIS site, there is no notarization required.. you'll see at the signature has the words I, ____________ "cerify under penalty of purjury" , so this is considered legally binding signature without need of notary. Yes, the expiration on the form is as you note, but you can use it.

I noted that a previous DCFer, in an early post, mentioned that usually a joint-sponsor appears to help with the domicile issue as well; getting a job in the US ASAP will help to show your stay in china was intended to be temporary and your working.

For DCFs, the passing rate at CFL is 100%; this just means that they rarely doubt the relationship; you really only need to get the paperwork right, particularly convince them of the financial and domicile. If you don't make enough income to meet the poverty guideline, I'd just get a joint sponsor if possible. While you might have some inheritance money, not sure if they'll feel this is a sustainable coverage like income is.

• 3 weeks later...

David, Thanks for your reply. My Mother is going to be my joint sponsor and I'll cross my fingers that all will work out fine in the end. In the mean time, I have two more questions to pose for anyone willing to help me. One is directly related and one a little random...

1. When (if! knock on wood!) the "green card" visa is issued to my wife, will that ONLY allow her to travel back and forth from the U.S. to China, or does it in effect become something like a passport, allowing her to freely travel to, say, Australia or Thailand without a special visa (like I can currently as a U.S. citizen)?

2. Can anyone tell me something about "spousal visas" in China? My work contract will end in January, but we will not be ready to move to the U.S. until at least the summer of '07. I want to take some time to study and travel in China in the mean time. So...I'm interested in the "spousal visa" for foreigners married to a Chinese person. One of my friends "thinks" it's only for those who have been married for two years or more. Can anyone please add some details to the requirements and how easy it is to obtain?

Thanks a lot! Sorry for so many questions!

Aaron

Hey Aaron,

I can try to answer your first question. As for the second one it's better to let Hellen call Zhuhai local Public Security Bureau or the PSB of your wife's Hukou place.

Even she got her "green card"(CR1 visa or two-year green card), she is still a Chinese passport holder, therefore she is still required for Visas application to go to other countries, though much easier comparing to other Chinese without a "green card". I heard some cases on 001 that Green card holders can go to Canada and Mexico without appling the visas. Please correct me.

Edited by jinjin (see edit history)

David, you said this in a different post on May 22nd of this year:

and since he is married to you, he can get a 1 year visa as a spouse to stay in china (if he is not working there)... at least the renewals are not as often for him...

So, this leads me to HOPE that you know a little about this. The rumor I am hearing among my colleagues is that the couple must be married for at least two years to qualify. Can you confirm this?

Thanks.

Aaron

my comment was based on a guy I meet in China.. who had a 1 year visa (so he told me) because he was married... and waiting out his process. I do not actually know how long they were married but I didn't think it was more than a year.

I don't know where to confirm that.. maybe I can get my wife to find out... she's on her last day in china... or a local station should be asked.

David, you said this in a different post on May 22nd of this year:

and since he is married to you, he can get a 1 year visa as a spouse to stay in china (if he is not working there)... at least the renewals are not as often for him...

So, this leads me to HOPE that you know a little about this. The rumor I am hearing among my colleagues is that the couple must be married for at least two years to qualify. Can you confirm this?

Thanks.

Aaron