Leaving USA right after Entry

Hello!

I am about to buy two airline tickets, and I just wanted to confirm before I made the purchase.

My wife should be arriving at the end of December, and we plan to take a trip to the Bahamas right after she enters the USA. Will she have a problem re-entering the USA after we finish our trip? We did a DCF in Beijing, but she won't have her green card yet.

Is there anything we should watch out for? Are we taking any chances by leaving so soon after entering?

The last thing I want is to finally have my wife get into the USA, only for her to get preventing from re-entry after our Honeymoon. It would be a nightmare indeed!

Thank you for your thoughts.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello!

I am about to buy two airline tickets, and I just wanted to confirm before I made the purchase.

My wife should be arriving at the end of December, and we plan to take a trip to the Bahamas right after she enters the USA. Will she have a problem re-entering the USA after we finish our trip? We did a DCF in Beijing, but she won't have her green card yet.

Is there anything we should watch out for? Are we taking any chances by leaving so soon after entering?

The last thing I want is to finally have my wife get into the USA, only for her to get preventing from re-entry after our Honeymoon. It would be a nightmare indeed!

Bahamas requires China PRC citizens to have a visa. You'll want to check with them directly (I suggest by phone) whether they will accept the CR1 visa without the green card. Canada doesn't. Re-entry to the US is not a problem.

The customs officer at the POE should stamp the visa with an I-551 stamp, this indicates to the POE on next re-entry that a green card is on order, and the visa is acting as a temporary Green-Card.

Yes Chinese Nationals do not qualify for the Visa Waivers that Americans and Canadians enjoy. She will need a visa issued by the Bahamas in order to visit.

http://www.bahamas.com/bahamas/about/?sect...;toplevel=59196

http://www.bahamas.com/bahamas/about/gener...020&level=3

Hello!

Bahamas requires China PRC citizens to have a visa. You'll want to check with them directly (I suggest by phone) whether they will accept the CR1 visa without the green card. Canada doesn't. Re-entry to the US is not a problem.

Whoa! be careful here. Entering Canada and re-entering the USA is no problem as long as she has a green card. A stamp in her passport for a CR-1 or IR-1 will not likely suffice. She will most likely need a Canadian visa.

Hello!

Whoa! be careful here. Entering Canada and re-entering the USA is no problem as long as she has a green card. A stamp in her passport for a CR-1 or IR-1 will not likely suffice. She will most likely need a Canadian visa.

Exactly. My post should be read as Canada doesn't accept the CR1 visa without the green card. I don't know if Bahamas does but I doubt it. We are talking about a person with a visa and no green card.

Sounds complicated, why not honeymoon in US VI it has a Caribbean flavor with out leaving the country.

My fiance asked about where to honeymoon and keeping in mind that she wont have here green card yet we are sticking to USA destinations.

I agree I think I would settle for Hawaii instead....

I agree I think I would settle for Hawaii instead....

Yes Hawaii is another beautiful paradise destination, but with my living on the east coast US VI is a shorter and less expensive trip. :roller:

Hello!

Exactly. My post should be read as Canada doesn't accept the CR1 visa without the green card. I don't know if Bahamas does but I doubt it. We are talking about a person with a visa and no green card.

A CR-1 visa is only good for one time entering the US without a green card. Most other countries she goes would require a visas from those countries.

You could try to get her a visa from Bahamas and and spend your honeymoon there BEFORE you bring her to the US.

Better yet, use Hawaii as her POE and then onward to the US mainland.

Just my 2 cents... :roller:

Sounds complicated, why not honeymoon in US VI it has a Caribbean flavor with out leaving the country.

My fiance asked about where to honeymoon and keeping in mind that she wont have here green card yet we are sticking to USA destinations.

For a CR-1 this should not be a problem, but a K-1 should not try this without confirmation. The US VI are not technically part of the US, they are US Territories.

The US VI are not technically part of the US, they are US Territories.

This is a very interesting point. I'd like to seek clarification on this. As I have not been to any US territories, I don't have any personal experiences on this, but I had assumed that US territories were part of the US and that we wouldn't have to go through immigrations when coming or going to these Islands (such as US VI, Puerto Rico, Guam and the like). I had assumed it would be similar as traveling to HI--to which I have been.

For people who have travelled to any of the the US territories, do we need to clear Immigrations when arriving at these territories?

I would hold off on buying those tickets. Not to be pessimistic, but according to your timeline your SO does not even have her visa yet. Also, I think you are asking for trouble by traveling without her having a green card.

New Travel Requirements Q&A

Will travelers from U.S. territories need to present a passport to enter the United States?

A: No. These territories are a part of the United States. U.S. citizens returning directly from a U.S. territory are not considered to have left the U.S. territory and do not need to present a passport. U.S. territories include the following: Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands

For Guam

Do I need to apply for a visa before I go to Guam?

Holders of Hong Kong BNO passports do not require a visa, as is the case for many other nationalities. U.S. visas are required for holders of Hong Kong SAR passports, People's Republic of China passports and Hong Kong Certificates of Identity (CI) or Documents of Identity (DI).

As aye,

Jim