K1 or DCF filing? Please help!

Mar.28,2006: Handed in I-130 for CR-1 and paid $190 by cash.

Apr.13,2006: Petition(CR1) approved by US Department of Homeland Security. (Form I-171)

Apr.18,2006: Sent Packet 3 out by GZ

Apr.21, 2006: Sent P3 [DS-230(1 copy) and 169] back to GZ ( No.1 South Shamian Rd.). Made copy for every form after filled out.

May 24,2006: Phoned Visa China info Center, was told my name check has done on May 19th, and right now my case is back to GUZ, eligible for interview!!

May 30,2006: Phoned Visa China info Center, was told my Package 4 was sent out by GUZ on May 26th.

WOW!!! :roller: Yuliki...... I've never seen a timeline like that

Good luck with the interview.

Edited by change2marrow (see edit history)
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a lot! Just as I mentioned before that is because I found this website and you guys gave us a lot of valuable information!

Good luck to you too!

Lin

• 1 month later...

Hi all! I posted a new msg. earier today, but somehow it has been wiped out. Instead of typing it again, I'm going to cut and past an email I sent to the US Consulate in GZ, who have been nothing short of terrible in helping me. That's why I'm so grateful to all of you guys! Here is the email and maybe you can answer the four questions that GZ has never bothered to reply to. Here goes:

"Dear DHS:

I have tried calling your office, but have not spoken with anyone who is willing to help me. I implore you to answer this email, as I have sent emails in the past and have not received a response. My name is Aaron Brown and I live in Zhuhai, Guangdong, China. My wife is a native of Liuzhou, Guangxi (and the location of her Hukou) and we were married two months ago in Nanning, Guangxi. We both live together in Zhuhai, Guangdong. I have asked for information regarding the I-130 petition and have received the information in English only, which I appreciate. I have asked for a Chinese translation but none has ever been sent to me. I do not understand how a Chinese person can understand the insructions for filing the application in the English version. The language is very complicated, and my Chinese wife has no idea what it means. Therefore, I dearly hope you could send me this information in Chinese. My fax # is .........

If this in not possible, then I again implore you to answer these questions regarding my I-130 petition. In the English version it says I need to submit:

1. "Original birth certificate": My wife has no hospital birth certificate. Must she return to her hometown in Guangxi to get this? Can it be done in Zhuhai? If not, must she have it notarized there in Liuzhou or could she do this in Zhuhai, Guangdong where we live?

2. "Original marriage certificate": Is this the red booklet we were given when we registered to get married or something that must be applied for?

3. "Notarial marriage certificate": Can this be notarized in Zhuhai, or does it need to be done in Liuzhou (her hometown) or Nanning (the place of our marriage)?

4. "Notarized translation of original marriage certificate": Can this be both translated and notarized in Zhuhai or does all of this need to be done in Liuzhou (or even Nanning?)

I am sorry to ask so many questions, but I have been hung up on three times when I try to call and this information is very, very, very difficult for (even educted) Chinese to understand. I truly hope you will take the time to answer these four simple questions. "

So, if any of the CFL friends could answer these questions (and even better, write a bit in Chinese to help my wife understand) then I would be most, most appreciative!

Thanks al! Aaron :D

Guest pushbrk
Hi all! I posted a new msg. earier today, but somehow it has been wiped out. Instead of typing it again, I'm going to cut and past an email I sent to the US Consulate in GZ, who have been nothing short of terrible in helping me. That's why I'm so grateful to all of you guys! Here is the email and maybe you can answer the four questions that GZ has never bothered to reply to. Here goes:

"Dear DHS:

I have tried calling your office, but have not spoken with anyone who is willing to help me. I implore you to answer this email, as I have sent emails in the past and have not received a response. My name is Aaron Brown and I live in Zhuhai, Guangdong, China. My wife is a native of Liuzhou, Guangxi (and the location of her Hukou) and we were married two months ago in Nanning, Guangxi. We both live together in Zhuhai, Guangdong. I have asked for information regarding the I-130 petition and have received the information in English only, which I appreciate. I have asked for a Chinese translation but none has ever been sent to me. I do not understand how a Chinese person can understand the insructions for filing the application in the English version. The language is very complicated, and my Chinese wife has no idea what it means. Therefore, I dearly hope you could send me this information in Chinese. My fax # is .........

If this in not possible, then I again implore you to answer these questions regarding my I-130 petition. In the English version it says I need to submit:

1. "Original birth certificate": My wife has no hospital birth certificate. Must she return to her hometown in Guangxi to get this? Can it be done in Zhuhai? If not, must she have it notarized there in Liuzhou or could she do this in Zhuhai, Guangdong where we live?

2. "Original marriage certificate": Is this the red booklet we were given when we registered to get married or something that must be applied for?

3. "Notarial marriage certificate": Can this be notarized in Zhuhai, or does it need to be done in Liuzhou (her hometown) or Nanning (the place of our marriage)?

4. "Notarized translation of original marriage certificate": Can this be both translated and notarized in Zhuhai or does all of this need to be done in Liuzhou (or even Nanning?)

I am sorry to ask so many questions, but I have been hung up on three times when I try to call and this information is very, very, very difficult for (even educted) Chinese to understand. I truly hope you will take the time to answer these four simple questions. "

So, if any of the CFL friends could answer these questions (and even better, write a bit in Chinese to help my wife understand) then I would be most, most appreciative!

Thanks al! Aaron  :D

229093[/snapback]

Aaron,

You will be filing the petition as the petitioner. Your wife later fills out some paperwork but you are there to help her. (If you are not residing in China with a one year work visa you can't file DCF anyway.) You read and speak English, right?

She will get a notarial birth certificate as the only needed certificate. She will most likely need return to the notarial office in Guangxi to obtain this but this is a Chinese Government function. Contact them.

The Notarial marriage certificate is a notarial translation of the red book. I think any notarial office will do this for you. That is the only Marriage Certificate you will need. Originals are only acceptable if they are in English.

Bear this in mind. Anything you submit to the US Consulate in the way of official government documents must be in English. If not originally in English, then a Notarial translation is required.

Later, she will also need a Police Report from her houkou. This will also need to be translated and Notarized.

You read and speak English, right?

She will get a notarial birth certificate as the only needed certificate. She will most likely need return to the notarial office in Guangxi to obtain this but this is a Chinese Government function. Contact them.

Yes, on occasion I have been known to speak English. Here's the problem...I know what this means....YOU know what this means...but the hurdle is trying to translate for my wife...even with the aid of a dictionary...what the heck a "notarial" whatever is, for when I show her in MY dictionary she claims "they don't have this in China!" That's whay I am so mad at the Consulate..they won't even tell me/her in CHINESE what she's supposed to be asking for. So, if your lovely wife could jot a note or two in Chinese here then maybe my wife would know what to start asking for. I'd appreciate it! And...yes...I'm a five-year, fully valid resident of China. Cheers!

Edited by canrun (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk

You read and speak English, right?

Yes, on occasion I have been known to speak English. Here's the problem...I know what this means....YOU know what this means...but the hurdle is trying to translate for my wife...even with the aid of a dictionary...what the heck a "notarial" whatever is, for when I show her in MY dictionary she claims "they don't have this in China!" That's whay I am so mad at the Consulate..they won't even tell me/her in CHINESE what she's supposed to be asking for. So, if your lovely wife could jot a note or two in Chinese here then maybe my wife would know what to start asking for. I'd appreciate it! And...yes...I'm a five-year, fully valid resident of China. Cheers!

229310[/snapback]

I understand. We're all in the same boat. Somehow our SO's managed to understand how to obtain notarial birth certificates, divorce certificates and marriage certificates, where applicable.

SmilingAsia has offered her translation assistance and give you her email. I'm sure you'll be on the right track in short order.

Thanks smiling asia! You can reach me at Aaron Brown...abrown2516@hotmail.com! My wife and I sure appreciate it!! :)

229426[/snapback]

Hi Canrun,

You can let your Chinese wife go to this website: http://usa.bbs.net/bbs/01/index.html. It is a very useful site, a lots of Chinese girls are applying their Visa to the state with their SO. They can supply all kinds of information to your wife.

Good luck!

Hi Aaron,

I and my hubby is going through the DCF in GUZ. Herewith our process so far, hope it is helpful for you. And I am glad to help you for any questions that we can do for you, just let us know.

CR-1 Direct Consulate Filing in GUZ

Lin/ Shen Zhen Hukou    Jim/ Houston USA ( Working in Shen Zhen with work permit and resident permit)

2006 March 28 submitted our I-130 to GUZ consulate and they accepted it. Herewith the list what I submitted accompanied with I-130:

Origianl Books: ( GUZ consulated requires all of it, because we phoned CO and went to GUZ once on Mar. 23 06)

Lin's

1, Passport

2, Divorce Book

3, Marriage Book

4, Birth certificate issued by a Sub-police sation of Shen Zhen Public Security Beruea, where my Hukou is located. I don't have a Birth Certificate, was not born in hospital instead of at home. ( Kept by CO)

Jim's

1, Birth certificate (kept copy)

2, Passport  (kept copy with all pages )

3, Work Permit  (kept copy)

4, Marriage Book  (kept copy)

5, Divorce Decree  (kept copy)

Notary certificate: ( kept all by CO)

1, Divorce Notary ( one Direct and one In-direct) 

2, Marriage Notary  ( one Direct and one In-direct)

3, Birth Notary

4, Birth Certiticate issued by Police station Notary

Of course,

I-130 

G-325A ( Jim) with a passport photo

G-325A ( Lin) with a passport photo

Paid $190 by cash, not sure when can get the approved mail from CO one week or one month?  Any questions let me know.

DCF(CR-1) GUZ Timeline:

Mar.28, 2006: Handed in I-130 for CR-1 and paid $190 by cash.

Apr.13, 2006: Petition (CR1) approved by US Department of Homeland Security. (Form I-171)

Apr.18, 2006: Sent Packet 3 out by GZ with DS-230 form and form 169 in.

Apr.21, 2006: Sent P3 [DS-230(1 copy) and of 169, a EMS coversheet with my detailed address, I copied the sheet so I can tract P4 in the future ] back to GZ ( No.1 South Shamian Rd.). Made copy for every form after filled in.

About the P3...there is a lot of information pages inside. Nothing very important. You need the DS-230 Part I. It's very short. Only one page. It has writing on the front and on the back. It's very easy to fill out. Mostly information about you. The OF-169 is a list of things you need to collect to bring to the interview. You only need to sign the paper and mail it back to Guangzhou with the DS-230. The OF-169 is in chinese and english. The I-864 is in P3, but you don't need to mail it back. You will take the I-864 with you to the interview.

Also thinking probably can make it in four months. If we can make it by then the most important reason is, I found the website: candleforlove and Visajourney. I leaned and got all the information we need, realized we could do DCF the most rapid way to get us together. Basically, the day we submitted our I-130 I clearly knew what will happen and all the procedures in the next months. Also once I got any questions I asked the people on CFL, and got answers and helps swiftly.

May 24,2006: Phoned China Visa info center, and told my name check finished on19th May and my case now is back in GUZ. Eligible for interview!! After 19th June GUZ will set up a interview date for me.

May 26,2006: Packet 4 send out by GUZ, was told three weeks later I can get it, bit confuse. But it¡¯s a very good news for us.

220104[/snapback]

This is good information. Thank you Yuliki. Dave this would be good material for the FAQ

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience that I have had with the Consulate in GZ. I have been hung up on four times (no, not after being rude at all...after being told to "hold on just a moment") and have LITERALLY never received a reply to ANY of my emails asking for simple information...going back months. Anyone sharing the same warm, fuzzy feeling??

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience that I have had with the Consulate in GZ. I have been hung up on four times (no, not after being rude at all...after being told to "hold on just a moment") and have LITERALLY never received a reply to ANY of my emails asking for simple information...going back months. Anyone sharing the same warm, fuzzy feeling??

232013[/snapback]

are you using the consulate email page, where you have to put in some case information to ensure you have a valid reason to ask a question?

Here it is, just in case:

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzhou/iv/email.html

When I got married in Nanjing, at the ÃñÕþ¾Ö£¬they asked if we needed any other forms. Three hours later and 1000 kuai shorter, we had all the documents we needed. So, for the notarized and translated marriage certificate, I would contact the place where you got married (which I would assume would be the ÉæÍâ»éÒö´¦ of the ÃñÕþ¾Ö£¿). I didn't make the rules, but I think you can only get it done where you got married. Also, the "original marriage certificate is just the red booklet you got when you got married. Make a photocopy or two. Never hurts.

As for the birth certificate, the only place I think this can be done is your wife's place of birth. Thankfully, my wife was born in Nanjing, which is also the provincial seat, so we were able to get our "alien marriage" certified while also preparing her birth certificate all in one convenient stop. I would contact the local ¹«Ö¤´¦ in your wife's hometown. I believe the Chinese for notarization is ¹«Ö¤£¬ and anybody who says China doesn't have ¹«Ö¤ has gotta be kidding. They love stamping and signing things. However, if you need them to stamp and sign things for you, you're gonna have to pay them enough for them to do that, unfortunately.

Also, while your wife is getting all this done in her hometown, I'd recommend she pick up a certificate stating she has no criminal record (valid for a year, i think). Might save a trip further down the line.

I'm not an expert and haven't gotten any further than an I-130 that DHS just doesn't want to reply to. But as far as I understand, this would be the best way to approach it. If anything I said here was incorrect, please tell me, anybody.

Edited by kevininpudong (see edit history)

Ok, I'm going to file the I-130 next week. I CROSS MY FINGERS I have all the paperwork! Now, I'm worried about which address to use for my wife's residence (on the I-130). Should we use our home residence (Zhuhai, Guangdong), my company's mailing address or my wife's residence listed on her Hukou (in Guangxi)? Any suggestions are most helpful! Also...any idea about photo specifics? There seems to be disagreement online about the required photos sizes. Small points, but you know how it goes... Thanks all! :)