001 Digest, today and yesterday

She was their retirement plan. That is the way it works here. They spend freely on their children and count on them to see to their needs in their old age. In fact it is the law here that children are responsible for their elderly parents. She is just being properly filial.

Give it some real thought. A hundred a month could make a huge difference to an elderly couple in China.

This is an argument that my SO and I got into one day. She sends all her money home to her parents (even to her aunts). I told her she needs to save, even if it's just 5 RMB a month. She wonders why and I told her to look at the people living in the streets begging. Maybe they never got married or didn't have a child, who takes care of them now.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tony n Terrific

Old thread but true to this day. My wife and I have discussed this. She would like to send some money back to her family every year and the amount is very reasonable. It also helps that she has two brothers with well paying jobs in China. My wife also understands that our marriage comes 1st and it is about us and our future together. You married her not the village.

I have heard of stories that a new wife will not participate in any of the cost of living with her new husband and sends all the money she earns back to the motherland. If this is an issue with you, you should get this aired out immediately. Afterall you have entered into a marriage based on caring and sharing as well as good faith. You do not want to become a colony.

yeah, alot of old names; Charlotte, Owen, Argyle, and ChinaDave.

Most are gone but some in this thread are still around. ChinaDave is still active as Argyle who was here about a week ago for the first time in a long time. But some are gone; Charlotte and Owen are gone. Lori and Dave are no longer with us either. I wonder how they are doing. Oh, and don't let me leave out enight. She was always fun!...I kind of miss them. Oh well, such is life!

Somewhere , I read under Chinese marriage laws both spouses are to share equal! My fiancee knows, I will treat her like the lady she is, which is a rather nice woman but be a sugar daddy I do not think so, maybe they get these ideas from talking among themselves or from 001, dispel this thought and live in peace.

Somewhere , I read under Chinese marriage laws both spouses are to share equal! My fiancee knows, I will treat her like the lady she is, which is a rather nice woman but be a sugar daddy I do not think so, maybe they get these ideas from talking among themselves or from 001, dispel this thought and live in peace.

She has mentioned more then once that many of the women she talks to from 001 have quit their jobs and that the man will send them money. I think she's just hinting but knows that I need to save for the trips, hotels, fees and yadda yadda yadda, she knows I'm not rich.

• 2 weeks later...

She has mentioned more then once that many of the women she talks to from 001 have quit their jobs and that the man will send them money. I think she's just hinting but knows that I need to save for the trips, hotels, fees and yadda yadda yadda, she knows I'm not rich.

This is a big elephant in the room for us. She has a lot of money in an account in China that she won't bring over (most from me) and we will have a big fight about this but will work out when we realize how we will live (I am not rich ha I'm not ever gonna be rich)

She has a lot of money in an account in China that she won't bring over (most from me) and we will have a big fight about this but will work out when we realize how we will live (I am not rich ha I'm not ever gonna be rich)

I hope you understand this sooner than later... it's an obvious duh from the chinese point of view. good luck in the fight.

I told her the other day on the phone that I bought a really nice dinning room set with chairs at a garage sale for the new apartment we will get when she gets here. It's a $500 set and only paid $50 but she gave me the third degree. I think it is more for the fact that she wanted to pick something out together and not the fact that I spent money.

I think I'm afraid to tell her that I want to pay over $1,000 for a set of nice rims for the truck when the stock ones still work, eh?

Wonder what they say about people that have a riding mower, "what matter with you, you legs broken"? ha ha ha

I wonder if the Chinese value of money is slightly skew to how we value money in the USA, I'm talking a fundamental difference. I noticed something along this line, what was spent, was spent, what can we spend today, without thought to what was already spent, still trying to figure this out.

American thinking:

I can buy rims for my truck if I'm willing to do nothing for a month but eat peanut butter...I should pay off that credit card or put the money in savings...but I work hard for my money..if I can't have what I want, whats the point?

Rationale...ME! NOW!

Chinese thinking:

I work hard for my money now, but someday I may not be able to...I will save 25% for my retirement, 25% for child's college, buy food, invest some, and use a little to make surprise for Mama!

Rationale...future, family, more family.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................me

I told her the other day on the phone that I bought a really nice dinning room set with chairs at a garage sale for the new apartment we will get when she gets here. It's a $500 set and only paid $50 but she gave me the third degree. I think it is more for the fact that she wanted to pick something out together and not the fact that I spent money.

Could it be that it is second hand? To purchase a showroom item is not an option. It must come fresh from the box.

Jane even trawls the supermarket shelves to ensure the grocery boxes are in perfect, pristine condition.

I was at the bike shop the other day. A Chinese man was a customer being served in front of me. He was looking at and discussing a rack. He decided to take it. He informed the assistant not that one, a new one. The assistant said it was. Not good enough. Anyway he went and got the last one he had in stock. It was scratched. The Chinese man now had a BIG dilemma, one touched by many people or the scratched one. The sales assistant didn't understand but I had a little chuckle.