US to China change....

Ok, I admit that I dont have a cast iron stomach to digest rock and wood like I used to anymore, and I dont have the will to withstand changes like I did when I was 18.

It seems that when I visit China, I am ok with time and food for the first few days. Then, after about 1 week, something hits me. My stomach is primed for Pepto Bismol and Alka Seltzer for about five days, my sleep is a mess, awake at night, tired during the day, little motivation, and it takes a few more days to get over it.

Any other wussies out there like me? What do you do about it?

I will admit though, its nice to have Lao po to take care of me, he he he :hug:

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)

That is why I alway take Imodium AD when I travel oversea.

----------------------------------------------------

http://familydoctor.org/x2583.xml

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/diarrhea/

Preventing Traveler's Diarrhea

Traveler's diarrhea happens when you consume food or water contaminated with bacteria, viruses, or parasites. You can take the following precautions to prevent traveler's diarrhea when you go abroad:

* Do not drink any tap water, not even when brushing your teeth.

* Do not drink unpasteurized milk or dairy products.

* Do not use ice made from tap water.

* Avoid all raw fruits and vegetables (including lettuce and fruit salad) unless they can be peeled and you peel them yourself.

* Do not eat raw or rare meat and fish.

* Do not eat meat or shellfish that is not hot when served to you.

* Do not eat food from street vendors.

You can safely drink bottled water (if you are the one to break the seal), carbonated soft drinks, and hot drinks like coffee or tea.

Guest pushbrk

Traveler's diarrhea happens when you consume food or water contaminated with bacteria, viruses, or parasites. You can take the following precautions to prevent traveler's diarrhea when you go abroad:

* Avoid all raw fruits and vegetables (including lettuce and fruit salad) unless they can be peeled and you peel them yourself.

You can safely drink bottled water (if you are the one to break the seal), carbonated soft drinks, and hot drinks like coffee or tea.

180950[/snapback]

Yep, take the precautions and make sure you have the Imodium on hand to take at the first sign of trouble. I didn't need mine until my second day home after ten days in China but I'm a purple pill a day guy anyway (Nexium) so maybe that's why it only hit the lower intestinal tract. I never had any stomach problems.

180950[/snapback]

Ken,

I agree with everything that Tony posted. I have traveled extensively overseas and been deployed when I was in the military just as much.

The advice that he is giving is very sound, and soldiers follow these rules religiously. However, I will disagree with the Immodium. To me it takes too long for the effect to kick in. I need relief right now as a civilian and as a former military member it is desperately needed immediately.

Therefore, when I travel I follow the precautions Tony outlined above. However, I use Pottasium tablets, which are purchased from any health food store. I usually can settle the stomach and cure the diaherrea within 4 hours. Most soldiers that I was deployed with carry at least 2 bottles. If you want the methodolgy, PM me. To this day, I still travel with the tablets and have never had this problem.

For the sleep problems I prefer Ambien. And like Trigg....several shots of Crown Royal or Jack Daniels. Stll takes some adjusting to time. However, when I get there, I do have alternative ways to occupy my time besides sleeping!!!!! You know, like taking a tour ROFLMAO!

Guest ShaQuaNew

Yes, Ken, I think a good many of us have that problem in China after a few days. You can use pepto, alka, immodium, kaopectate, but the most effective thing I've found is a cork. Insert cork before landing, and remove upon your arrival home... :)

i have this problem each time i visit China this time i was ready with the Imodium as i had asked this exact question about 2 months ago on the boards. you might wanna bring the new little effervesant pill known as airbourne as well...

the 2 worked great except when i ate at this korean bar-bq and had about 5 pounds of bar-bq'd beef :helpsmilie:

and a bunch of beer :)

the imodium cork did not hold

Ok, I admit that I dont have a cast iron stomach to digest rock and wood like I used to anymore, and I dont have the will to withstand changes like I did when I was 18.

It seems that when I visit China, I am ok with time and food for the first few days. Then, after about 1 week, something hits me. My stomach is primed for Pepto Bismol and Alka Seltzer for about five days, my sleep is a mess, awake at night, tired during the day, little motivation, and it takes a few more days to get over it.

Any other wussies out there like me? What do you do about it?

I will admit though, its nice to have Lao po to take care of me, he he he :P

180948[/snapback]

Just the opposite,,after being there for a week, I get better. I have only had heart burn three times in six weeks of staying in China.

Edited by obxtrainman (see edit history)

I had just the opposite on the stomach problem. Was 4 days and no activity out the other end. One trip to pizza hut fixed that right up! That was my first trip and was worried about the hole toliet issue. The last trip I had no problems at all. I did have a good supply of pepto on hand though. Also had perkaset (sp) as I had just passed a kidney stone 4 days earlier. Nothing was keeping me away from my SO.

The sleep thing didnt really bother me. I finally crashed one day and woke up with her just watching me waiting for me to wake up so we could do things. Some tourist type things some not.....

I had a severe case of Mao's revenge on my second trip which required antibiotics to cure. I stayed fairly close to the hotel with the western style toilet for a couple of days. Such fun! Since then I begin taking two Pepto Bismol tablets a day, beginning 3 days before I leave and continue for 3 days after I return. Seems to work fairly well. I also carry immodium for emergencies.

I thought the whole trick was wearing, "Depends". Both trips this work wonders. But, they took up a lot of room in my suitcase. I thought this was good advise from another thread I read. Well, at least now, having obtain the above advise, I now can save a lot more room in my suitcase...whew!!

Edited by chef4u (see edit history)

180950[/snapback]

Little good the Imodium AD I took along was. I could've used some ex-lax instead!... :huh: