Sending money to China

I can get free AmEx travelers checks. So I got one to send to my Mother-in-Law to pay for a trip to Thailand for them.

We will but her name and ID number at the top so only she can cash it.

Anyone else tried it?

176040[/snapback]

Hello,

I had a HORRIBLE time get AMEX traveler's checks cashed, the Bank of China flatly refused. If you want to send money once, use Western Union, they can pick up at any China Post, for more than once iKobo can be very nice. They get a 'credit card' snail mailed which they can use to withdraw money at an ATM. You can recharge it over the internet and the money is instantly available, 24/7.

https://www.ikobo.com/country/index.php?cou...=china&access=3

-James

When I was in China I quickly realized that Amex was only honored at the most expensive hotels and at expensive restaurants. I thought from their ads it was good everywhere around the world. I guess that is just if you are rich. I would imagine that the traveler's checks would be the same. China is just getting into credit cards and good luck if you can use one at a store. Amex charges a higher fee than other cards too so they probably wouldn't take that one. Just my observation.

Larry

Edited by LiandLarry (see edit history)

Guest ShaQuaNew

I got my SO a PayPal Visa card. She can use any Chinese ATM with it. I can deposit money for free into the PayPal account. Each time she makes a withdrawl it costs one dollar. It's worked great for us.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Guest pushbrk
I got my SO a PayPal Visa card. She can use any Chinese ATM with it. I can deposit money for free into the PayPal account. Each time she makes a withdrawl it costs one dollar. It's worked great for us.

176050[/snapback]

Debit cards are definitely the way to go. I've read several times on this forum and another that travelers checks are worse than useless in China. Maybe they can cash the check in Thailand when they get there.

My traveler's checks were cashed without any problem at the Bank of China (by myself - I'm not sure that sending money this way is a good idea). The PayPal debit card(free - except for small transaction fees) was an excellent way to send her money in Beijing, but did not work in Yulin. For Yulin, I took cash to a grocery store/Western Union agent for $14/transfer. Online, credit card, or telephone WU transfers are MUCH more expensive.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Guest pushbrk
I've used travelers check in China with no problem at all. Wifey had a debit card I gave her but the process of using it was more than her old brain could take. First time I told her to use it--she got it eaten by the ATM!!

176065[/snapback]

Did you spend them or cash them?

176050[/snapback]

How did you get the PayPal visa card to your SO? Does PayPal send it to her, or do you have to mail it to her? Thx

My traveler's checks were cashed without any problem at the Bank of China (by myself - I'm not sure that sending money this way is a good idea). The PayPal debit card(free - except for small transaction fees) was an excellent way to send her money in Beijing, but did not work in Yulin. For Yulin, I took cash to a grocery store/Western Union agent for $14/transfer. Online, credit card, or telephone WU transfers are MUCH more expensive.

176058[/snapback]

Last week my mom sent my wife an "American express gift cheque" as a wedding gift without telling me! After my last visit, I don't know of any big department stores in her area that will even take them. She has a checking and savings account in her local bank, will they cash them for her?

I've used travelers check in China with no problem at all. Wifey had a debit card I gave her but the process of using it was more than her old brain could take. First time I told her to use it--she got it eaten by the ATM!!

176065[/snapback]

It must vary depending on what city you are in. I've cashed them many times on 3 different trips to Nanning and never have had a problem at any BOC, but James seems to have had a different experience where he goes.

I just sent $1000 to my SO yesterday... $14 at WU. That's a deal and a really safe way to send money. The PayPal thing sounds interesting and inexpensive too.

I sent money to China by electronic transfer before each of my trips. The problem was there was a $70 charge for each transfer. As for AMEX traveler's checks, the Chinese banks use a very bad exchange rate which is averages about 25% below what my present wife got from the electronic tansfers. Finally I gave her a credit card in her name on the account which I use for my college student children. The credit card was the cheapest and most effective way of getting her funds despite the charges that the credit card company added.

Jimmarktam

Guest ShaQuaNew

I am completely sold on the paypal debit card. It's free to obtain. After you register, it will be sent to your home, from there, you can send it to your SO in China. After your SO receives it, you can then activate it online and select a pin code. Call or email your SO to provide the code.

You can then transfer funds into your paypal account direct from your bank for free. The only drawback I can see to that is that it takes three (3) business days to make the transfer. After the funds are there your SO can go to the vast majority of ATMs in China and make an immediate withdrawl. There is only a $1.00 fee per transaction. Pretty tough to beat this.....

I'm not much of an expert in sending money to China, and, indeed, my wife and I have recently been wrestling with money transfers because she is coming here tomorrow but she has also been moving around a lot.

I never had any real problem exchanging AMEX Traveler's Cheques in either Beijing or Shenzhen. The rate was the same as cash.

I mostly sent money by wire transfer through my bank ($40 per transfer, regardless of the amount) and the money was usually there in one or two days.

One of the best things about finally being (permanently) reunited is that all those problems are now in the past, along with most of the other visa entanglements. I expect we will be together from now on, either in the US or in China.