A modest proposal

I have been a member of the CFL since July, 2005, and during that time I have read about the many successes and, regrettably, some of the setbacks as well, on these pages.

I recently spent a month with my wife in China because we both could not stand being apart for so long. Leaving China two weeks ago was very hard because we had become so used to living together. It was not just another visit. Many tears were shed at the airport.

So I got to thinking: how could our government have gotten this thing so wrong? Why is this process so backwards? Almost everyone here on the CFL is clearly a victim of the law of unintended consequences (assuming our government does not have malicious intentions).

I believe the visa process needs to be looked at in a totally different way.

It is obvious the process was designed to evaluate applicants and "weed out" those who (1) present a security or other (health, etc.) risk to this country, (2) "weed out" relationships based on economic or other "non-legitimate" factors, and (3) grant visas to those whose relationships merit them.

Thus, by its very nature, the process is very long and drawn out, often taking a year or more, as we all know.

Conceptually the process is skewed towards the first and second categories (weeding out undesirable applicants), and the third category – those of us who simply are married to or in live with someone from P.R. China – are basically ignored.

Unfortunately we are the ones who can least tolerate the unconscionable delay in obtaining a visa. For all of us who are married or in love it means months and even years of agony and tragedy. And that delay often puts strains on relationships that can cause irreparable harm.

The long delay is (almost by definition) much less painful for those whose relationships are based on money or who have other agendas for wanting a visa. They can obviously wait for a long time relatively painlessly. If two people are not in love then what does it matter if they must be separated for a year or two?

Simply speeding up the process is just a half-measure. The process really has to be turned on its head. This is the way I feel it should work:

1. All applications should be evaluated to “weed out” those who might present a security, health or other risk or our great land. These applications should be set in a pile for additional scrutiny. This initial screening should take no longer than 2 or 3 months.

2. The remaining cases should be evaluated to determine which ones are clearly regular relationships (people who met however, and who have or want to have a life together) and their visas should be granted. This should only take another 2 or 3 months, at the most.

3. The last category – couples whose relationships may be based on other things besides affection and attraction – might be further evaluated. However, most of these should be granted quickly, as well, since it is really none of the government’s business if two people want to be together because of something other than a strong emotional-physical attraction. Many people have been married for decades without having a particularly great love for each other. They have that right.

Under this new system, the people with “legitimate” relationships would get the highest priority (instead of the lowest, as they currently are) and would get their visas in 4 to 6 months. The entire process would be focused on identifying them.

The government could then take its time reviewing and going over questionable applications while the ones who can least tolerate the tragedy prolonged separation entails – most of us – would be spared.

Can our government be encouraged to do something as simple as this? Focus on and grant visas to the law-abiding and legitimate applicants first, and then deal with those whose applications raise important questions.

Probably not in my life time.

I have been a member of the CFL since July, 2005, and during that time I have read about the many successes and, regrettably, some of the setbacks as well, on these pages.

I recently spent a month with my wife in China because we both could not stand being apart for so long.  Leaving China two weeks ago was very hard because we had become so used to living together.  It was not just another visit.  Many tears were shed at the airport.

So I got to thinking: how could our government have gotten this thing so wrong?  Why is this process so backwards? Almost everyone here on the CFL is clearly a victim of the law of unintended consequences (assuming our government does not have malicious intentions).

It is obvious the process was designed to evaluate applicants and "weed out"  those who (1) present a security or other (health, etc.) risk to this country, (2) "weed out" relationships based on economic or other "non-legitimate" factors, and (3) grant visas to those whose relationships merit them.

Thus, by its very nature, the process is very long and drawn out, often taking a year or more, as we all know.

Conceptually the process is skewed towards the first and second categories (weeding out undesirable applicants), and the third category ?those of us who simply are married to or in live with someone from P.R. China ?are basically ignored.

Unfortunately we are the ones who can least tolerate the unconscionable delay in obtaining a visa.  For all of us who are married or in love it means months and even years of agony and tragedy.  And that delay often puts strains on relationships that can cause irreparable harm. 

The long delay is (almost by definition) much less painful for those whose relationships are based on money or who have other agendas for wanting a visa.  They can obviously wait for a long time relatively painlessly.  If two people are not in love then what does it matter if they must be separated for a year or two?

Simply speeding up the process is just a half-measure. The process really has to be turned on its head.  This is the way I feel it should work:

1.  All applications should be evaluated to “weed out?those who might present a security, health or other risk or our great land.  These applications should be set in a pile for additional scrutiny.  This initial screening should take no longer than 2 or 3 months.

2.  The remaining cases should be evaluated to determine which ones are clearly regular relationships (people who met however, and who have or want to have a life together) and their visas should be granted.  This should only take another 2 or 3 months, at the most.

3.  The last category ?couples whose relationships may be based on other things besides affection and attraction ?might be further evaluated.  However, most of these should be granted quickly, as well, since it is really none of the government’s business if two people want to be together because of something other than a strong emotional-physical attraction.  Many people have been married for decades without having a particularly great love for each other.  They have that right.

Under this new system, the people with “legitimate?relationships would get the highest priority (instead of the lowest, as they currently are) and would get their visas in 4 to 6 months.  The entire process would be focused on identifying them.

The government could then take its time reviewing and going over questionable applications while the ones who can least tolerate the tragedy prolonged separation entails ?most of us ?would be spared.

Can our government be encouraged to do something as simple as this?  Focus on and grant visas to the law-abiding and legitimate applicants first, and then deal with those whose applications raise important questions. 

164029[/snapback]

I can't agree with you more!!!

i want to make up all those days that i were not and having not been able to be with my loving bf for the rest of my life while we're so young at our ages and they just keep us waiting and have the days we should have been with each other wasted!! i feel like they're torturing our pure love in our youthful time and how much time can a young couple who love each other experience to be able to enjoy their life TOGETHER everyday in their 20's!

They suck!!!

Guest ShaQuaNew
1.  All applications should be evaluated to “weed out” those who might present a security, health or other risk or our great land.  These applications should be set in a pile for additional scrutiny.  This initial screening should take no longer than 2 or 3 months.

164029[/snapback]

Nicely said, but I have a problem with your first point. You must understand that the vast majority of delays occur because petitions are held in some sort of security check hell. The security checking process has gotten the pass to do whatever is required because the vast majority of Americans all agree by mouthing the words...

"Yup, just do whatever it takes to keep those bombers and crazy muslim people from coming here and doing us harm. And oh yeah, while your at it, make sure that someone doesn't come over here with that aids, or want's to rob our liquor stores."

Sounds good doesn't it? Well, I'll tell you what, no....actually it doesn't, and I'll tell you why. We are a nation with the most remarkable constitution in the world that provides us all with certain inalienable rights. You think?

Well, many think it's okay to take away or reduce that latitude of these rights all in the name of national security. That might be nice if it helped. Quite frankly stopping young mothers at airports because their children have the same name as a homicide bomber is a problem. Holding American citizens in detetion without the right to due process because someone said they were a terrorist. That's a problem.

Our borders are pourous. If our enemies, and those that would do us harm wanna get in, they will get in. The problem is the people that they are keeping out and making wait for endless eons are not a threat, were never a threat, and will never be a threat to any American. That is not okay....

edit...

also, the only way to simplify and speed up any process is to get all the cooks out of the kitchen and simplify it. The current process is so complicated that no-one can understand it. It's shrouded in mystery and beauracracy. Too many people, too many institutions. Just have one real big guy at one entry door....

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

I recently spent a month with my wife in China because we both could not stand being apart for so long.  Leaving China two weeks ago was very hard because we had become so used to living together.  It was not just another visit.  Many tears were shed at the airport.

So I got to thinking: how could our government have gotten this thing so wrong?  Why is this process so backwards? Almost everyone here on the CFL is clearly a victim of the law of unintended consequences (assuming our government does not have malicious intentions).  

It is obvious the process was designed to evaluate applicants and "weed out"  those who (1) present a security or other (health, etc.) risk to this country, (2) "weed out" relationships based on economic or other "non-legitimate" factors, and (3) grant visas to those whose relationships merit them.

Conceptually the process is skewed towards the first and second categories (weeding out undesirable applicants), and the third category ?those of us who simply are married to or in live with someone from P.R. China ?are basically ignored.

Unfortunately we are the ones who can least tolerate the unconscionable delay in obtaining a visa.  For all of us who are married or in love it means months and even years of agony and tragedy.  And that delay often puts strains on relationships that can cause irreparable harm. 

The long delay is (almost by definition) much less painful for those whose relationships are based on money or who have other agendas for wanting a visa.  They can obviously wait for a long time relatively painlessly.  If two people are not in love then what does it matter if they must be separated for a year or two?

Simply speeding up the process is just a half-measure.   The process really has to be turned on its head.  This is the way I feel it should work:

1.  All applications should be evaluated to “weed out?those who might present a security, health or other risk or our great land.  These applications should be set in a pile for additional scrutiny.  This initial screening should take no longer than 2 or 3 months.

2.  The remaining cases should be evaluated to determine which ones are clearly regular relationships (people who met however, and who have or want to have a life together) and their visas should be granted.  This should only take another 2 or 3 months, at the most.

3.  The last category ?couples whose relationships may be based on other things besides affection and attraction ?might be further evaluated.  However, most of these should be granted quickly, as well, since it is really none of the government’s business if two people want to be together because of something other than a strong emotional-physical attraction.  Many people have been married for decades without having a particularly great love for each other.  They have that right.

Under this new system, the people with “legitimate?relationships would get the highest priority (instead of the lowest, as they currently are) and would get their visas in 4 to 6 months.  The entire process would be focused on identifying them.

The government could then take its time reviewing and going over questionable applications while the ones who can least tolerate the tragedy prolonged separation entails ?most of us ?would be spared.

Can our government be encouraged to do something as simple as this?  Focus on and grant visas to the law-abiding and legitimate applicants first, and then deal with those whose applications raise important questions. 

164029[/snapback]

I can't agree with you more!!!

i want to make up all those days that i were not and having not been able to be with my loving bf for the rest of my life while we're so young at our ages and they just keep us waiting and have the days we should have been with each other wasted!! i feel like they're torturing our pure love in our youthful time and how much time can a young couple who love each other experience to be able to enjoy their life TOGETHER everyday in their 20's!

They suck!!!

164035[/snapback]

Of course we all empathize with the agony everyone suffers because of these forced separations. Imagine what it's like for those of us who met in "middle age" and for whom a year-long separation may actually represent 10% or 15% of our lives together?

Cynically, there is a box in one of the many forms we all must complete that says "beneficiary deceased." Maybe they could give out visas posthumously?

I agree with the security issues...I just can't remember how many Chinese women bombers were involved in 9/11.

And of course there will be those that say visa-wide security..but why? Why can't the adjust security based on visa type?

Again I am not sure but weren't the terrorists here on student visas? I just get the feeling that the government thinks longer is better...but I can say from the heart...that is not correct. It damages relationships and causes unrest among the people that are being affected by this long and drawn out process.

RANTING>>> I think this process is like all other processes and unjust actions.....it happens because we let it happen... because we don't think we can change anything... I think we are wrong. If enough people have the same idea....same direction....and write the same person(s)..then maybe we can affect change... until then.... can someone get me so cheetos....a beer...and a hanky.

I like your sense of humor. Especially the crying in your beer stuff -- you must be Irish.

But seriously, the security elements couldn't be the real issue, since there are obviously a large number of people in commited, serious relationships who raise absolutely no security flags.

Why is there no "fast track" process for these people, since it doesn't take a genius to figure out that being separated for 12 or 18 months wrecks havoc on relationships. Just look at the divorce/domestic violence/infidelity rate among the military.

The process is constructed so that everyone waits in a long, slow line so that any possible rotten apple (bao-zi?) is identified. Just let the women and children through . . .

the ranting is understandable... the wait is difficult and as indicated can have adverse effects on relationships, but it is all we have, we must endure to succeed to have our loved ones come to us.....

petition your congressmen and senators, write the president, speak your mind, be creative with suggestions, but realistic.... it is a tough time for all of us......... on boths sides of the world....

If you apply for a federal job, or apply for a gun permit or apply for a drivers license, they do a security check on you. When you buy a ticket on an airplane, they do a security check on your name.

HOW CAN THEY DO ALL THESE SECURITY CHECKS IN MINUTES OR HOURS OR DAYS, BUT IT TAKES MONTHS FOR A CHECK FOR A VISA?????

Just my rant and I realize that the security check is just another delay in an already slow process.

According to the USCIS, there is currently about 1 million people in their backlog!!!! Obviously, they don't have near enough resourses to handle the job.

It's too bad that our budget surplus got pissed away so quickly and now we can't afford to hire new USCIS agents.

Edited by cosmiclobster (see edit history)

Wally, I've even suggested a 'parole', as in allow my wife and daughter to come and we 'check-in' at regular intervals to some agency while the paper process continues. Hard to think about such a degrading thing to have to go report like some parolee criminal; but it beats the hell out of being separated from the family.

It's shrouded in mystery and beauracracy. Too many people, too many institutions. Just have one real big guy at one entry door....

164038[/snapback]

The big guard...reminds me of a Kafka story.

According to a exhibit at the Holocaust Museum in DC, the United States increased the number of forms and complexity of the visa process in the lead up to WWII to create a "paper barrier" that would limit the number of jews emigrating from Europe to the U.S. It worked.

A lot of Americans just know they have it good and don't want to share. The joy luck husbands' club is just too small a demographic.

Shyaushu,

I truly sympathize with you, and I understand your plight. I have not visited this website for well over a year and a half, and I had no idea the process was still so agonizingly long. I applied for my wife's fiancee visa in November of 2001, and we did not receive it until March 2003. Hence the name "AngryTexan." It is truly a disgraceful situation.