Chinese people are very disorderly

That's one reason why I dislike Chinese people in general, they are very disorderly and inconsiderate. For example, in Beijing at the airport, everybody would rush to the each next shuttle bus, and in front of moving vehicle traffic. I barely made it on the third bus with my SO, eventhough we were there for the first and second buses before others.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's one reason why I dislike Chinese people in general, they are very disorderly and inconsiderate.  For example, in Beijing at the airport, everybody would rush to the each next shuttle bus, and in front of moving vehicle traffic.  I barely made it on the third bus with my SO, eventhough we were there for the first and second buses before others.

153057[/snapback]

Sound like New Orleans. When there is a lot of people, law and order break down. No need to criticize Chinese people. Your SO is Chinese.

Edited by ttlee_99 (see edit history)
That's one reason why I dislike Chinese people in general, they are very disorderly and inconsiderate.  For example, in Beijing at the airport, everybody would rush to the each next shuttle bus, and in front of moving vehicle traffic.  I barely made it on the third bus with my SO, eventhough we were there for the first and second buses before others.

153057[/snapback]

Sound like New Orleans. When there is a lot of people, law and order break down. No need to criticize Chinese people. Your SO is Chinese.

153097[/snapback]

"touche'"

153057[/snapback]

Several times, some European tourists did just that to me while in line for show tickets buffet lines in Las Vegas, not in Europe or China. Get a thicker skin, will you! Or, where have you lived all these years, dude!?!? Or, maybe just too slow for those fast moving Chinese? Better learn to move fast if you want a seat in those buses, specially during rush hour. I always give up my seat to the elderlies and obvious expecting ladies. Learned and picked up that courtesy habit from my travels in Mexico, not in US.

Edited by bubbafred10 (see edit history)

Of course I can't disagree with the comments that bemoaning the apparent discourtesy and pushiness of many Chinese people is uncalled for, especially when you're married to a Chinese woman, but I want to come to Mark62's defense just a hair.

It takes some experience in so-called "third world" countries to see and appreciate that things just do not always go like they sometimes do in the US (the US is hardly Switzerland!). I have several friends who have also found it difficult to stomach some of the social behaviors they have experienced in China.

A few weeks in Morocco or Turkey will cure that! Moreover, with 1.3 billion people, you're kind of behind the eight ball if you don't assert yourself!

There are somethings you accept in another culture, and some you don't. What seems discourteous to us is just "business as usual" in many parts of China. We restrict that kind of behavior to a football field. But dishonesty or scamming foreigners or anyone else are not acceptable, no matter where you are.

This is an education for all of us, including learning tolerance for people who behave differently largely because their society has completely different challenges, and also tolerance for those who's experiences have not given them the perspective to understand these kinds of differences.

Tolerance in not always a natural instinct, and often it has to be learned.

wow!!! :unsure:

i find one of the things i like most about beijing china is the people. dont forget that city is like 4 times the size of manhattan..

Mark62 you cant be from a big city... people in big cities priorities are always more importamt then yours... :o

also you should always be careful of putting an entire race of people into one catagory.

How silly to apply American values to another country and their behavior. Perhaps you might have done a bit of research concerning the culture, some would consider this a demonstration of respect toward the host country.

The pushing and shoving going into a store, bus or airplane is by no means considered rude in China and the Chinese do not take offense at this behavior. This is part of their culture due to the large number of people.

Now a public display of anger and yelling is fairly common in the US and considered extremely rude in China, in fact people are embarrassed by this behavior because you have lost face in public and if you do this while with your SO, you may be informed concerning proper behavior in public once you are alone...

When in Rome, shoot roman candles.... :unsure:

153057[/snapback]

I quickly learned that to hold my place or gain my place in bus lines while in Nanning, I had to do as the locals do. In fact, it got to be a bit of a game for me and my SO. I am larger and stronger than most average Chinese men. My SO would stand behind me and hold onto my belt as I would enter the scrum and, the immovable force that I am, would part the sea and gain entry. Quite enjoyable, actually.

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)
"Dislike Chinese peope in general"????????? I have to ask why in the world you decided to marry one???  My guess is that your attitude may bring you problems with your SO and her family and friends later.  I know one thing, if I didn't like pets I wouldn't get a Great Dane!!!!!

153486[/snapback]

What do you mean Trigg? She WON'T turn into an American girl? :D

I'm willing to give Mark the benefit of the doubt and assume he misspoke with his "dislike Chinese in general" remark. And yes, maybe he's just experiencing culture shock. But unless you are a chameleon there will always be elements of a foreign culture that you just can't assimilate. Like Donahso implied, something like this can really damage your quality of life.

I'm use to the pushing, more or less. I recognize that much of the problem is China's massive population. I also recognize it as a lack of "family education" as my SO would say. Remember, Hong Kong has a greater population density, but those guys know how to queue for a taxi! So I expect it in most situations. What really galls me is when otherwise sophisticated people mob the bus. Everyday I commute with my colleagues to work on one of the school's shuttle busses. These are well-educated people, some are Ph.d holders. All are teachers. There are enough busses and seats for everyone. But they would walk over anyone to get on/off the bus first. Drives me batty!

But there is an up side. What's good for the goose and all that. Yesterday in Guangzhou, after picking up the visa, we were trying to get bus tickets back to Shenzhen. My SO was at the window and I was standing back (to run interference and to protect her passport and documents - the mob of people was a pickpocket's paradise). 5 people were shoving money through the half-moon openning and another 10 were trying to shove them out of the way. My little lady isn't meek in these situations but she's, well, little. Finally it looked to me that she was gonna get in next and a tall guy reached from behind her to put his money through. I roughly jerked his arm back, pointed at my SO, and cursed at him in English (I figured in this situation it would have a better effect than Chinese - which he probably would have laughed at). Well, my SO still didn't get her money through, and a few seconds later Wilt the Stilt tried it again. And again I jerked his arm back, harder this time. In America I think that would have started a fight that I was bound to lose, but he hardly took any notice of it and even asked my SO where she was going.

***PICKPOCKET WARNING***

Sometimes all the pushing at bus stops is not a cultural quirk but an orchestrated strategy to get your wallet. A gang of pickpockets will crowd onto the bus but stop abruptly on the steps. More of the gang, and the rest of the bus mob, will push you from behind. If you lose your cool in the confusion, to push those in front or elbow those behind, your wallet's gone. No use giving chase because it will have been handed off two or three times before you realize what's happened.

You should ALWAYS protect your valuables when getting on and off crowded busses.

***PICKPOCKET WARNING***

Sometimes all the pushing at bus stops is not a cultural quirk but an orchestrated strategy to get your wallet. A gang of pickpockets will crowd onto the bus but stop abruptly on the steps. More of the gang, and the rest of the bus mob, will push you from behind. If you lose your cool in the confusion, to push those in front or elbow those behind, your wallet's gone. No use giving chase because it will have been handed off two or three times before you realize what's happened.

You should ALWAYS protect your valuables when getting on and off crowded busses.

153559[/snapback]

I use a money belt, that wraps around my ankle. I keep cash, passport and other valuables in it.