Chinese people are very disorderly

***PICKPOCKET WARNING***

Sometimes all the pushing at bus stops is not a cultural quirk but an orchestrated strategy to get your wallet. A gang of pickpockets will crowd onto the bus but stop abruptly on the steps. More of the gang, and the rest of the bus mob, will push you from behind. If you lose your cool in the confusion, to push those in front or elbow those behind, your wallet's gone. No use giving chase because it will have been handed off two or three times before you realize what's happened.

You should ALWAYS protect your valuables when getting on and off crowded busses.

153559[/snapback]

I use a money belt, that wraps around my ankle. I keep cash, passport and other valuables in it.

153574[/snapback]

That's a good idea. But unless you are in transit, why carry your passport with you at all? Nobody's ever gonna stop you and ask to "see your documents."

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

***PICKPOCKET WARNING***

Sometimes all the pushing at bus stops is not a cultural quirk but an orchestrated strategy to get your wallet. A gang of pickpockets will crowd onto the bus but stop abruptly on the steps. More of the gang, and the rest of the bus mob, will push you from behind. If you lose your cool in the confusion, to push those in front or elbow those behind, your wallet's gone. No use giving chase because it will have been handed off two or three times before you realize what's happened.

You should ALWAYS protect your valuables when getting on and off crowded busses.

153559[/snapback]

I use a money belt, that wraps around my ankle. I keep cash, passport and other valuables in it.

153574[/snapback]

That's a good idea. But unless you are in transit, why carry your passport with you at all? Nobody's ever gonna stop you and ask to "see your documents."

153582[/snapback]

When I am with my lao po, I give her most of the money to handle all the financial transactions. Yes, you are right. I could leave my passport at her home, when we are traveling in her city. Probably being over cautious, I suppose. Maybe, have read too many travel guide tips and warnings. Just, hate to think of the hassle, if I ever had my passport stolen or lost. It's a good feeling to know that it's in a safe place. Just, as I would a driver's license here in the US.

When we travel outside of her home, I think it is best to have my passport with me, even though no one will ask to see it. I do carry money with me, however. Doesn't everyone? Would you feel safer leaving your passport at your hotel, without a safe?

Wow xulei ... I would be very careful pushing PRC citizens around. Even though you may be "right" by your cultural standards the repercussions could be severe.

Pickpockets ... Lao Po and Ar Mei constantly advise me to beware of pickpockets. Once, as a lark, I stealthily "picked" money from Lao Po's purse while waiting for a bus. Those observing me were wide eyed but interestingly no one said anything. Go figure.

Passport ... never leave home without it ... even in her city. You want to have it with you at all times just in case.

How silly to apply American values to another country and their behavior. Perhaps you might have done a bit of research concerning the culture, some would consider this a demonstration of respect toward the host country.

The pushing and shoving going into a store, bus or airplane is by no means considered rude in China and the Chinese do not take offense at this behavior. This is part of their culture due to the large number of people.

Now a public display of anger and yelling is fairly common in the US and considered extremely rude in China, in fact people are embarrassed by this behavior because you have lost face in public and if you do this while with your SO, you may be informed concerning proper behavior in public once you are alone...

When in Rome, shoot roman candles.... :wub:

153481[/snapback]

I will take Mark as what he said as what he meant to say :king:

That's one real difference about China. Usually if people see someone else being pick pocketed, they won't do anything about it. I've asked students this question and their universal answer on what they would do in this situation:

Nothing

I have to disagree on the passport issue. You don't really need to cary it with you unless you're travelling or staying at a hotel. I never cary mine.

Edited by Barey Jones (see edit history)

My ex-wife's kids had learned the "elbow" technique at day-care - whoever's elbow was in front was first in line. No pushing, no shoving, no cutting - but those elbows sure could leap-frog!

You learn techniques to maneuver in crowds without shoving or being rude, or falling behind your place in line.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
I prefer to apply John Locke's 'blank slate' approach and let learning come from the culture...  I find issues like this intriguing, and frankly don't think of it as making my quality of life any less.  If I were to live here, it might improve my quality of life to learn the proper techniques of 'pushing' at the right times...

153654[/snapback]

It seems to me that if you actively seek to take the 'tabla Rosa' approach then you have invoked the Hawthorne effect and are negating Locke's true intent. To truly become 'tabla Rosa' one need regress to the womb. Locke had no such intent when discussing the blank slate--Rather, it was his personal opinions derived from his inner argument with the 'nature/nurture' controversy. :whistling: :whistling: :P

Tolerance in not always a natural instinct, and often it has to be learned.

153387[/snapback]

Tolerance isn't natural, self defense is. It is too mankinds' credit that tolerance is becoming a rule not an exception.

"The test of tolerance comes when we are in a majority; the test of courage comes when we are in a minority."

Ralph Stockman

WHY lately does everyone on the candle feel the need to quote someone??? Doesn't anyone think for themselves anymore?? Has whats in vogue or whats trendy completely replaced ones own ability to think???

I'm so damned tired of hearing old dead philosophers being quoted ad nausea that i could just puke!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmm, I puke-therefore I am!!

That's one real difference about China. Usually if people see someone else being pick pocketed, they won't do anything about it. I've asked students this question and their universal answer on what they would do in this situation:

Nothing

I have to disagree on the passport issue. You don't really need to cary it with you unless you're travelling or staying at a hotel. I never cary mine.

153622[/snapback]

Damn right on both counts, Barey.

I know of that pickpocket strategy because I was a victim. A week later, same bus stop, not crowded this time and in broad daylight, the same strategy was employed. I knew what was happening and clutched everything tight. I got a shoulder past the two guys stalled on the stairs and knocked them out of the bus (somehow...they weren't very big and I guess I had leverage - I should have just removed myself completely and taken a cab)..... The ticket taker and the people who had a front row view of what happened didn't so much as blink. I sat down, gave the ticket taker a wide smirk and told her the bus should get a new welcoming committee. She still didn't change expression.

And about the passport, the only time you really need it is if you plan on flying. For everything else - hotels, etc. - I just keep a photocopy in my wallet. But I also agree that if I had to choose between keeping it on me or leaving it lying loose in a hotel room I'd probably choose the former.

Well, I totally understand Mark62. I sometimes complain to my SO and his friends and family about several things that I saw on the street:

1. People spitting on the street and/or public places;

2. Cast garbage anywhere;

3. Cut lines;

4. Bad driving manner;

They all agree with me, and they can't stand these either.

Well, I totally understand Mark62.  I sometimes complain to my SO and his friends and family about several things that I saw on the street:

3. Cut lines;

4. Bad driving manner;

153718[/snapback]

Well Bear, that sound like what I see sitting out on the porch in the evenings in Tennessee!

Well, I totally understand Mark62.  I sometimes complain to my SO and his friends and family about several things that I saw on the street:

3. Cut lines;

4. Bad driving manner;

153718[/snapback]

Well Bear, that sound like what I see sitting out on the porch in the evenings in Tennessee!

153722[/snapback]

have you been to NY lately?