Concerning blue slips. Or how I learned

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good work. Some very worthwhile information.

The third party correspondence issue is particularly nasty. Usually it is where someone who has either worked as a translator for your SO or some unscrupulous person who tries to extort money from your SO in order for them to not cause trouble. There seems to be a substantial racket for it in Nanning. I would advise everyone to tell their SO to keep their immigration plans as secret as possible.

The debate as to whether or not it is a good idea for the petitioner to be at the interview has been debated heavily here. I strongly recommend it. Even if the success rate isn't any higher the fact you are there and able to handle any problems right away could save your loved one another trip to GZ.

I stand in awe of these studies you have made, can't imagine how you had the patience and organization to collect the stats let alone the knowledge of how to interpret them. I hope it helps a lot of people. It should be permanently saved.

In answer to the question of "third party" service, I mean specifically the services that you or your SO paid that you met each other through if you used one. Not just a email type service, for example, on match dot com or yahoo meeting. I would not rule out a questionable visa service who is claiming to help you with your visa issues, although I have not noted anyone yet claiming this to have been the cause of their problems. But I will say I don't like the fact of the video making service advertised right outside the consulate, as this tells me there is enough business to make this worthwhile to do. I find this to be borderline criminal, because this can only happen with the participation of the consulate, since you can not provide a cd-rom or 8mm tape, or DVD, or whatever format you use to do video. (Who uses VHS anymore?) This is a situation ripe for corruption. But let me also say, I did not feel these services outside the consulate were like vultures either. Maybe they can just smell desperate people, and ignore those who are not.

I agree with warpbored that if you can be there, you can make sure of some things if you think you might fall into the category of possible problems. Problems you prevent before the Interview by being there to check everything. I think my SO was confident before the interview to do it by herself. With me there, I think I really primed her confidence level to the maximum, as I discussed with her all the likely situations, not just questions that could come up. ( Also I carried all that heavy stuff until the last moment, so she could be relaxed, and see my attitude, that this was a done deal, also I practiced with her, where to pull out which papers from the file folder at which time based on the subject matter, always with my letter on top). I also am with the group who think the decision is pretty much made before hand, unless the evidence or questions answered show otherwise. I think they are prepared for both possibilities leaning towards granting it, but denying it if they get their "gut" feeling (Which I disagree with completely, probably the American food). I should add that I too did not want my SO to go to GZ a second time, which is why I had us set aside a full week after the interview for such a problem, or call it an early honeymoon if there was not. We went to Hong Kong and Macau. I assessed our relationship as if I was a VO, and found lots of questions were possible. I figure the time was worth it, which is why I had always been interested in knowing as far ahead as possible the likely interview date, to plan this. It worked out.

I also want to bring up one other thing no one mentions, which is that each of us hears what happened at least second to third hand. What really happened at the actual Interview, what is said, what is answered is always in my mind something to wonder about. Also the incomplete stories we get also is something to keep in mind as to why we get incomplete information. Even my own SO is not entirely absolutely certain she related to me all that happened in there, who said what and how it was said. We should keep this in mind as well.

Jim-Portland brings up an interesting viewpoint that has merit, so lets take a closer look.

Concerning the five who got a blue slip but did not go to the Interview.

The first was warpbored, who got blasted out of nowhere with the video request, and he flew there to take care of this. I believe this was one of the first cases of this request. Unavoidable, and only fixable by going there.

Next we have rogerluli and leejcandle, both had what I call a minor, probably avoidable paperwork problem. Would being there have changed this? Probably not, because it was just a piece of paper wanted.

Next is boba, another video communications request. I do not remember how they resolved this, if he had to go, or if they had one already available to go back with.

Last is most recent, jimglot, who is being asked for financials, which is always questionable , but we know they like to pull this request out as a catch all often with other more specific requests, perhaps if there is less evidence than the VO likes. Could this one have been avoided? Don't know, maybe if he was there he could have had the needed things faxed the next day, and be back for an overcome. Maybe if his passport was presented this would have made a difference. Maybe not. One of the three people keeping us updated.

I don't have specific data concerning Alex ( but I believe he was not there at the Interview), but he is the other third party problem, along with many other things. He is one of three who we get updates from.

Concerning the six who got blue slipped and were there.

First lets start with MikeXiao which is the most recent one that is crazy. I put yours into the third party category based on a thread I had read where you talked or asked about this, so I had it down as a question mark if this is the cause. Perhaps you can let us know if you used such a service to either meet or do paperwork? Or the reasons why you thought this might have been it, or why you don't think this now. ( I know they are telling you nothing). If not, I will put it into its own category. Anyway, this one is the tough one I would throw into the 5%, because you were there, and was unable to get an answer from the consulate. You are one of the three listed as keeping us updated.

Next is ChuckandShuping third party case, who was also there, and I believe went to great efforts to find the cause of this, and got it resolved. I am saying we now know this kind of thing has a possibility of causing a problem, if you used such a meeting service, or started to use a visa service to help you but stopped on unfriendly terms, make sure you know everything about them, and be ready with a response appropriate to your situation. ( If this were me, today, I would have the appropriate letter already made and my SO primed to know when there seems to be a problem with this, to explain it with the letter when the opportunity presents itself. For example, if you met using such a service, and now there is a problem with them, she could answer when asked how you met with this explanation and the fact that you are now having a problem with them. Will this work? We don't know, but maybe you should consider being ready to try something).( I applied this method to all my potential problem areas).

We have njbernie, maxmilagro, Xmarine, and Quoging who had a major paperwork problem and financials, which them being there allowed them to deal with accordingly, however, perhaps they were not quite prepared as they should have been with their evidence and papers, which now you know about, so you too can avoid going down this path. Did they need to be there? A good question. Maybe not.

So, taken as a whole, one could say that being there is not really needed, and I would also agree with this assessment, if you have everything covered.

I certainly felt I had everything covered, yet two of the few problem areas I anticipated were asked about. Perhaps my being there did not matter. But the first thing my fiancé handed the VO, was her passport, my passport, and my letter saying I was right outside if they had any questions. (Someone else had said they had done this, so I thought it was a good idea.) Again, I was priming my SO's attitude, to be confident and to pinpoint the areas where there could be a problem. That this was just a formality. Two questions occurred, her knowing exactly which documents to pull out, along with my letter for each, because she knew when to do this based on the question asked. Each were glanced at and not touched. Of course the top sheet was my letter, with my signature plain and bold under the final statement saying I am right outside.

This is why I am saying, honestly assess your situation, plan accordingly. My estimate is that CFLer's make up less than two percent of those interviewed each month, there is no reason a CFL member should not be nearly 100% pass rate, because you are more informed of the pitfalls to avoid. Not only your general paperwork and relationship evidence, but the areas where previous people have had a problem. Unfortunately, I am sure there can always be a new surprise down the road.

A general outline of the letters I wrote, last paragraph was the same for each situation, the first part was changed to the specifics. That way, no matter what came up, they would know I am outside ( I wrote it this way, so that if there was a problem I could storm the consulate to demand to know why my letter was ignored when I had made myself available for any questions. I was also ready with my list of phone numbers to call saying I was in China and unable to get assistance at the consulate, and to strip naked if they did not help me). This is the one that was the first presented with our passports:

MY NAME

MY ADDRESS

MY ADDRESS

THE DATE(last possible date before Interview)

US Consulate Guangzhou

RE: MY FIANCE, GUZ-2004-XXXXXX

Attached: Copy of I-797 of petition approval

Dear Honorable American Consulate of Guangzhou:

It is my understanding that pursuant to 9FAM 41.81 N3.1 (Period of validity), the consulate can extend the approval notice for another 4 months, if my fiancé and I remain legally free to marry and continue to plan to marry after my fiancé enters the United States.

Therefore, please be aware:

I and my fiancé continue to be legally single and free to marry.

I and my fiancé love each other and plan to marry after her arrival in MY HOMETOWN, USA.

I sincerely request that you extend the approval notice (copy attached) so that my fiancé, MY FIANCE'S NAME may receive the K-1 visa.

If you have any questions, I will be waiting outside the consulate during my fiancé's interview on DATE OF INTERVIEW and will be available if needed. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Ok Nooneufo,

What is the success rate of CR-1's? Is it higher if we are already married? If we pass our first anniversary together, 5/29, now our interview is 6/29, I have been there 4 times, brought my kids there, stayed twice with her mother and family, .... will this constitute proof of a legitmate marriage?

Sorry, just nervous with >3 weeks to go...

:lol:

Let me see if I can answer this.

We did not use any services. I did all the work here, and sent many emails, letters and spent many hours on the phone explaining things to Xiao. Early in our relationship, she did use a woman to help her translate emails. After we met, I bought a translater program for my computer. When my wife told this lady, that her services were no longer needed, she threatened my wife. Told her, that she would tell me things that would break us up. I think she also sent a letter to the consulate. We do not have any proof of this, though. If I could get the consulate to tell us why the delay, it would help. My wife did receive 3 phone calls from women in GZ, about 2 weeks before the consulate sent her a letter, inviting her back. All three calls, asked for her 'X' by name, asked her what her name was, and asked to speak to her daughter, asked for her by her full name, which now one uses. That was our biggest clue, that someone was reading her name from a piece of paper. When my wife told the 3rd one, that "he doesn't live here, I do not know where he lives, I do not know his phone number, and please just stop calling me", then the letter from the consulate comes. Coincidence? I think not.

MikeXiao,

I would say based on what you are telling us, that this person your SO used for translations services would fall into the catagory of a "third party service" mostly because she did in fact threaten you. If she sent a letter, this could not have been to help you. I have you down as both no apparent reason, further processing I think was your original post, and possible third party. This makes me wonder, if this is how they are going to handle this kind of thing in the future. We will update the list to the 11th and wish you well on this.

Bahan,

I only have three people down as CR1. Here is the breakdown, but I would not take this data seriously except within the K1 group.

Of the three CR1's, all three were there for the interview. Two passed. The third is MikeXiao.

Going further, we have 11 K3's, two were blue slipped.(18% blue slipped).

66 K1's, 9 of them blue slipped.(13% blue slipped).

While I don't have the interview data specific to CR1 and K3, my own overall impression is they seem to get treated much harsher with the questions.

If we look at this from an objective view point, we can assume there really is not much you can ask of a K1, because they are not married, and probably the total time spent together might be an average of a month. The only requirement officially seems to be having met in person.

In the CR1/K3 catagory, it sounds like they are rolling in a bit of the AOS process. But because they don't have it down, we see harsher results. Just an opinion. Why do I have this opinion? Because MikeXiao and ChuckandShuping both had very similar experiences.

I would go back and read the interview experiences of the following people for a general feel of the interviews:

perryf

dmaddox74

Lassletter

Beijingjenny

maxamilagro

Martyb

Johnxiaoming

Mufasa

yuan95

Redling

ChuckandShuping

olemanoman1950

Mike Xiao

BobandNicole

Since you have children, I guess there is a divorce involved, so I would also be ready with all papers related to this and expect questions on it, probably in regards to the children as well.

Very good research. We should probably move this to the links and resources section.

Two cases that are significant that you missed (or maybe I missed you mention) are, mooncarolcafe and Ahming. Moon's case was particularly baffling because as near as I can tell there was nothing he could have done differently to improve the outcome. They were married, he had been to China a kajillion times, his paper work was immaculate and he was at the interview. After he was blue slipped he promptly provided the requested information, a video I think. I believe he had to submit overcome docuiments more than once. Regardless he swatted down the denials as fast as they could throw them at him. In the end he got a don't call us we'll call you slip and had to wait a long time before his wife was finally sent a notice to come back.

Ahming's case was unusual in that he was never given a list of things they needed to overcome. He was simply given a blue slip saying they hadn't met the requirements. Last track I had he hired an immigration lawyer in Idaho to resolve the issue.