Hey, guys:

This is the first time I posted topic here, although I've known CFL for a long time from oo1. I hope I can get help from you.

Yes, I am a Chinese girl waiting for my K1 visa, now I already sent P3 back on 22th, Mar. I have a problem now, I met my finace last year when he was working as a volunteer teacher in China (now he is studying in a law school in U.S. ). so he doesn't have the tax return for last year. And even worse, when I told him that we have to prepare the tax return for the interview, he insisted that the I-134 form doesn't require the tax return. I don't know how to convince him, besides he is facing his finals now, I don't wanna bother him too much. But, the tax return is very important, right? Can I ask you guys help me how to make him know this?

Thank you very much!!!

Huang, Welcome to CFL. I agree that finals are important but in the grand scheme of things what could be more important than your future wife? I am sure that even in the midst of finals he could find time to get you the documents you need. Since you just returned your P-3 you still have some time. Probably 3 - 4 months until interview. Last years income tax records are required for the I-134. He has to prove he made 125% of the federal poverty guidelines. If he insists that last years income tax records are not required for the I-134 he is badly mistaken. Assets, etc are not required as long as you can prove you make 125% of the federal poverty guideline. Tell him to log on here if he needs help. There are many knowledgable here.

Welcome to CFL huang,

You are correct that tax return are asked for on the I-134. Carl is correct on the grand scheme, but I'm sure finals will be over very soon, and the documents he will need to get are not required until you go for the interview. When you recieve the p4 package, there will be detailed instructions for all of this plus, the forms can be found on this site to get a head start. If his scooling is going to make it difficult for the I-134, he can find someone to sponsor you both to help with the requirements. And yes by all means, have him log on here with any questions as well as if you have questions on anything. Usually someone will respond in only a few minutes, and by the following day you should have all of the answers you need.

Best Wishes,

Jim and Yunhe

Huang, Welcome to CFL.  I agree that finals are important but in the grand scheme of things what could be more important than your future wife?  I am sure that even in the midst of finals he could find time to get you the documents you need. Since you just returned your P-3 you still have some time.  Probably 3 - 4 months until interview.  Last years income tax records are required for the I-134.  He has to prove he made 125% of the federal poverty guidelines.  If he insists that last years income tax records are not required for the I-134 he is badly mistaken.  Assets, etc are not required as long as you can prove you make 125% of the federal poverty guideline.  Tell him to log on here if he needs help.  There are many knowledgable here.

Thank you very much, Warpedbored!

You know, life here for me in China is very easy, I have a lot spare time to get the information. But for my fiance, it's very hard. He has to get up at 5:20 to catch the train to his office ( he is working in a senator office in New Jersy), and come back from law school around 22:30 every day. He is being so tired all the time, which worries me badly. I want to do more for him. So, if I can get the information before his finals, that will be great. If not, I'll definitely tell him to come here to join this big warm family.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the replies!

Sorry, I don't know how to use the English post correctly yet, but I feel so warm here. I am surprised at this time I still got a lot replies, you guys don't need sleep? :)

Yes, his finals will be over at the end of May, so the time for preparing the I-134 forms will be enough. He insisted if he has the employer's letter and his bank certificate, that should be enough for the evidence for the interview, so the tax return won't be needed. We have talked about that a couple of times.

PS: I am not too, too young, I was born in 1975.

Welcome Huang

There have been many interviews where the Visa Officer didn't even ask to see the tax returns. My fiancee did not have to show my tax returns.

If he has a co sponsor (parents), it will not be a problem. If he has money in the bank, that can take the place of tax returns. If he did not work in the US for all of last year, then he will not need to file taxes for that year.

If he is studying to be a lawyer, I would take his word for it! :)

Good luck with you interview! Smile and be confident!

To dear Cosmiclobster: that's exactly what he means!

He is in his first year in lawer school, and no, he is not a rich guy. Lawer school requires a lot money and he got a loan from bank. And for my coming, he decided to take one year off from school because it would be too hard to offer.

Thank you all and wish you all the best!

Hello everyone. I was surprised to find so much discussion about this topic before I even knew such a forum as this existed. Anyhow, it is true that I am not too busy to take the time to plan for what is most important - my future wife. That said, I certainly appreciate any advice or guidance that any of you might be able to suggest in relation to acquiring the K-1 visa for Huang. Specifically, in reference to the I-134 affidavit, the requirements for documentation seem to be to me:

1.) Statement from an officer of the bank or other financial institution including date account was opened, total amount deposited for the past year, and the current balance; and

2.) Statement from an employer on business stationary showing date and nature of employment, salary, and whether the position is temporary or permanent.

The optional form 167 requires the sponsor to provide two from a list of four including the two forms of documatation discussed above - which is what I intend to choose.

If I trully am badly mistaken as to my reading of these forms, please let me know. Otherwise, I will assume this information is correct (after, of course, I follow up with a lawyer and the consulate).

Thank you all for helping Huang and answering her questions. She trully is the love of my life.

Hello everyone. I was surprised to find so much discussion about this topic before I even knew such a forum as this existed. Anyhow, it is true that I am not too busy to take the time to plan for what is most important - my future wife. That said, I certainly appreciate any advice or guidance that  any of you might be able to suggest in relation to acquiring the K-1 visa for Huang. Specifically, in reference to the I-134 affidavit, the requirements for documentation seem to be to me:

1.) Statement from an officer of the bank or other financial institution including date account was opened, total amount deposited for the past year, and the current balance; and

2.) Statement from an employer on business stationary showing date and nature of employment, salary, and whether the position is temporary or permanent.

The optional form 167 requires the sponsor to provide two from a list of four including the two forms of documatation discussed above - which is what I intend to choose.

If I trully am badly mistaken as to my reading of these forms, please let me know. Otherwise, I will assume this information is correct (after, of course, I follow up with a lawyer and the consulate).

Thank you all for helping Huang and answering her questions. She trully is the love of my life.

There's been a lot of discussion on what needs to go with the I-134, so you can do a search to read more about it.

My read of the I-134 is that the required documentation turns on how you intend to meet the thresholds. If you are relying on assets to meet the threshold, bank account information is important as would be other assets. If you are relying on income, employer/self-employed/tax return information would be important. If you are using a combination of both, everything then becomes important.

I relied solely on income to meet the thresholds, so I did not provide any documentation relating to bank accounts/assets. Whether this was okay will never be know since the I-134 was never reviewed the the VO. Others have supplied everything that they could on the theory that it is better to provide too much documentation than too little.