what's the difference?

This is based on my wife, her sister, her cousins and her aunt.  I am sure it is not true for all Chinese girls.

They love designer clothes (especially wearing a dress instead of pants).  A lot of time, they are over-dress for the occasion.  American girls love fancy clothes too but they like the casual look (jeans, sneakers).

Interesting ! I always thought of this difference in the men as true.

So, I think that maybe Chinese casual is equivalent to the American business casual.

Clearly the men prefer dress pants (although they might look about 50 years of wear), dress shoes, leather coats.... And the color of choice is BLACK !

In America, if you dressed in all black, your considered "Gothic" and possibly troubled in some way.

I loved being in China since for once I could wear black everything and fit right in! (I'm nothing close to Gothic, I just tend to wear black items more than the average).

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, there are many differences even amoung American women, not just by region. I think the biggest is religious Vs secular women. Also, women in the US tend to focus a lot of their energy on their careers. They also have not had the experience of intense poverty that I know my MM suffered in her youth. In my mind the Chinese woman I know is more like the women of our depression era ancesters. Maybe in someways the 1950's housewives? If your goal in life is to have the best toys, maybe marrying an ambitious American career woman is important. For me, Jenny's devotion to pleasing her husband is a quality that is not emphased in todays culture much.

They love designer clothes (especially wearing a dress instead of pants). A lot of time, they are over-dress for the occasion. American girls love fancy clothes too but they like the casual look (jeans, sneakers).

So, I think that maybe Chinese casual is equivalent to the American business casual.

Clearly the men prefer dress pants (although they might look about 50 years of wear), dress shoes, leather coats.... And the color of choice is BLACK !

In America, if you dressed in all black, your considered "Gothic" and possibly troubled in some way.

I loved being in China since for once I could wear black everything and fit right in! (I'm nothing close to Gothic, I just tend to wear black items more than the average).

I too like the way the Shanghainese dress, very stylish. In the summer girls use umbrellas on sunny days, its poetic.

Ha! I think the American girl car thing is so funny. This is why- If you want to know the big difference then go look at the personals in the US- I look like this, I am interested in these things- long walks on the beach, whatever- if you are too then call me. In China the personals look like this. I am this tall (VERY important) I make this much money. I drive this car. Don't look at online ads- I mean the personals in China for Chinese people.

They love designer clothes (especially wearing a dress instead of pants). A lot of time, they are over-dress for the occasion. American girls love fancy clothes too but they like the casual look (jeans, sneakers).

I too like the way the Shanghainese dress, very stylish. In the summer girls use umbrellas on sunny days, its poetic.

Watch quick styles change quick in China now. In one city I visted bare midriff, hiphuggers and tattoos were the trend for the 18-20 crowd. I think in China you will find styles differ more than in America by age group and locale.

I also don't think that American women are necessarily more career driven. Most Chinese girls I know have careers. I think the whole women in careers thing is a scam anyway. Before the women's movement you didn't have to have two people working in order to make enough money to live on. But now you do. My mom worked for her entire life- sometimes we lived on her money more than my dad's. Like when my dad campaigned to be elected to his job- she made more money and he just campaigned for a year. But even when two people work I think many people must have those two incomes to survive. They adjusted the rate of pay as time went by- a conspiracy. I think Corvette will want to have a career- Yvette will I mean-

Watch quick styles change quick in China now. In one city I visted bare midriff, hiphuggers and tattoos were the trend for the 18-20 crowd. I think in China you will find styles differ more than in America by age group and locale.

Somehow , I'm glad you didn't mention the city.. Some things are better left unknown !

Umbrellas: We were using an umbrella in Yunnan in Oct ! Actually, I was surprised so many were...

Personal Ads : I easily noted this difference also in my visitation to american and chinese boards... I told a chinese friend and she was surprised to hear it..and then laughed and wanted to see it...

I also don't think that American women are necessarily more career driven.

I tend to disagree.. I think the american women are more career driven... they are having babies later as a result (I think) of wanting to work and develop careers.. then get back to work after the baby.

The 'equality' thing was important to many women as well...

my 2 cents.

The biggest differences for me between my SO and previous American boyfriends:

-He is much more protective of me. He doesn't like me to go anywhere alone and always worries about me. One time I was at yoga class and didn't answer my phone- he didn't know that... he was on the way somewhere but felt worried that something 'was wrong' and took a taxi back home to wait for me. Everyday before one of us goes out we always say "love you, be careful!" Safety is number one for him.

-Money! Same was what was expressed above about frugality. Same issue for us.

Otherwise I think the other differences we have are not cuz he is Chinese and I'm American but just something to do with personality.

If you want to know the big difference then go look at the personals in the US- I look like this, I am interested in these things- long walks on the beach, whatever- if you are too then call me. In China the personals look like this. I am this tall (VERY important) I make this much money. I drive this car. Don't look at online ads- I mean the personals in China for Chinese people.

hehe~ that's right~ and that's why I found my american gg so interesting~

in china, american gg are known for spliting bills with the one he dates, is that true? coz my gg never let me pay even a penny when we dated~ his answer to this question is only a pathetic guy would do that to a girl he dates.

One thing I noticed while in China was that there did not seem to be much of a concept of platonic male/female relationships over there. Also, from a linguistic standpoint, the word for "to like" (xi huan) doesnt seem to be applicable to a member of the opposite sex unless it meant there was serious interest as opposed to liking as a friend or person